72 510, new start!!

Well, I bought this 510 about a year and half ago. I'm looking for some direction with this thing. Firstly I'm not a stranger to restoration and I'm taking a auto service tech program at school, I spent three years building a 86 iroc camaro, with a blown small block. It just so happened to get stolen on July 19th and turned up a few days later chopped, and ditched south of the city.

So now I have this Datsun and have a lot of interest in it, my first question to the ratsun world is what brake conversion would be most modern and convenient?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i am a young blood and still learning. defiantly new to imports. on this build im starting at brakes and suspension of course, as im working on some classic RR metal work and goin to blast the body

I wanna just get a solid plan going, heard of lots of different brake conversions. just wondering more of a personal opinion with using most likely easiest engine swap-sr20. I do have a buddy that built a nice s13-smashed and is now on a Ls1 s13, but doesn't have the 510 experience... wondering what kind of specs you would want for ride hieght and where to start.

We need to see pictures of the car. You will get more responses and help if you do. We need to be bribed.

Probably the most common brake upgrade is swapping to 280zx front struts and brakes. It's practically a bolt on upgrade. There are guys on the site that make brackets to swap to rear discs from the 200sx, 280zx, and others as well.

Search in the brake and suspension sections and you'll find a ton of examples of different setups that have been tried.

Looks like you already have some upgrades, I see adjustable camber plates. You might already have upgraded brakes and suspension. Figure out what you already have before tearing it apart. You might have lowering springs, upgraded struts and shocks too, you won't know till you look... and post more pics. :rolleyes:

hah just told my dad about getting more pictures and i need a bulb for my flood lamp at my aunts (i wish i could work there but its a useless single garage with no heat)

he told me i should just call the impound to come pick it up haha nice dad!

Wait until you get it running, then take him for a drive! My dad wasn't all that impressed by the looks of my 510, but when I took him for a ride at rallycross he liked it a lot more.

so i went over to the garage, basically i know and understand that this car has to be completely stripped and done right, i am willing to take apart and rebuild the whole drive train.

i ive been working with manual trans and trans axles and diffs at school so im eager to apply my knowledge. and i am also willing to pay to do a good job. the car runs, i put new fuel pump and the way she went, but i want this car to be modernized and proper most likely want to do an sr20 swap with sufficient power(dont really know a spec)And all components that will handle more power and work. here what i got from my knowledge let me know what u think....

-needs rear disc conversion

-needs front disc upgrade

-might need new coil-over struts

-its got a recirc ball box steering... with parallel steering

-no brake booster

-looks to be whole rear end needs to serviced/rebuilt and or new

-original A arms

RF caliper

image-1.jpg

RR

photo1.jpg

steering box

photo2.jpg

You sure this car needs all this stuff.

Be honest a little cleaning and if tight just run it.

wht spend 20K on a car that might come up for sale done at 7 k later on that never seen rust.

-its got a recirc ball box steering... with parallel steering. So does mine ans works fine

-no brake booster. MY brakes work fine

-looks to be whole rear end needs to serviced/rebuilt and or new. Mqaybe soem bushing but dotn take things apart if you dont have too

-original A arms, mozt have Org A arms anyways

brakes you can do over time as you do it , while keeping the car drivable.

well ok your probably right if everything functions the way its so pose to, we wont know till my hands are dirty

but me, call me crazy i think i want more out of the car, i just had my camaro stolen and going from a blown 350 to this little guy is defiantly a major change so i wanna go down the drifting path....

IMO, you upgraded with the 510. Speed isn't everything. You'll find out in due time. I have speed, but find myself more often then not just tooling around in it now days instead of laying the rubber down constantly. People wanting to race gets pretty old after awhile....

Be Honest There was a Camaero like that in my neiboorhood for sale and the next day soembody abandon one right next to it.

510s are not drift cars so I dont know where this comes from. all the 240sx's here are already beatin to death and aint worth shit and wouldnd want to own one from a kid. Stock yes.

If your used to 350hp then maybe a 200hp to the ground 510 will work for you but at a larger cost$$$$ than a Chevy motor.

Im thinkn a Turbo KA. You mush be Be Rich. I can see $5k EZ even if you got the stuff free or half price.

So you must have another car as a daily driver.

my camaro was a 350ci, dont know what kinda power it made never had a chance to see. ha but yea i got paid out 8000 for my camaro and i put probably 12-13

and no i wouldnt say im rich in just not poor

my budget can exceed 5k, yes 98 bmw 328is. i have good hook ups for parts and cars

• 3 weeks later...

l16 arent worth much due to the fact that people pull them out for everything from a l20b to a ka or sr its only a 1.6 carbed engine

im not sure what your going for here but you dont NEED to do all the things you have listed yeah you could do it and it wouldnt hurt to it but its not NEEDED

if i had a dollar for every person that came on here with the intent to build a drift 510.......i would be able to finish my wagon( and build a second race one, with irs)..... if i had a dollar for everyperson that came on here and built a 510 that drifted and/or drifted it, i wouldnt be able to afford a .59 cheese burger.....that camaro is........a camaro, check the local mall......build a driver and go get a run of the mill s 13 for drift .....if u wanna be different at drift events put your helmet on backwards before going on track.....dont take a car thats never proven as a drift car and force it....u will wad it up in the wall and then we all \ have one less datsun in the world for us to collect...theres a lot of solid advice on page one take it for what its worth ...

nice starting point for a 510 dont go tire whipping into a barrier and pissing all of ratsun....off lol

• Like 1

You honestly can't give an L16 away for the most part. Save one for if you ever need to build a race motor within the stock 1600 class.

Do what you want, l motors are cheap to buy if you should get that slow feeling ever again.

Drift it, race it, break it, all that does is make mine that much more valuable, it's your car, I would go for a 80s rwd car for drifting just for the power steering, but if this is what you want, at least be smart and get a cage and some good seats that will protect you in case of any danger you might be placing yourself Into

call radio redline he might buy it he buyys everything north of the border........honestly u could drift the 328 easier then the datto....personally hainz is right even at minimum u will need a dohc ka on pressure and that will run u 3 k in parts and then a ton of extra stuff to get a way to short of a car to try to drift which most definately will end in a tire whip into a barrier.....build a driver young danielson u will thank us later.....plus in the end your cool little datto will be worth more than the 328 on its best day....sorry but i seee nice dattos go for 6-10k ...but not with the core support pushed into the firewall and a motor for a center console

Let me clue you in there newb. Drifting is stupid. It's for posers with too much money. You don't have the money to go drift, and the 510 is not a drifting car. Drifting is judged subjectively, not on merit or time, or achievement. Just, oh wow, he looked way better than that guy! Fuck looks. Learn to drift on dirt and go rallying if you want to drift and actually accomplish something other than being famous like Justin Bieber.