Best Swap For A Bagged 620?

Ratadat

This question has been in my mind since I bought the truck. I thought hard about it and decided on the SR20DET, but now I am reconsidering if it's even worth it. I mean this truck is mainly for cruising, I just want more power than what's already in it... My question for you guys is what is a smart swap for a bagged datsun pickup (enough power, but also worthwhile swap)? I've thought about the SR, KA or possibly a V8. Any help is much appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was going through the same questions a couple of months ago. Went with a ka24e. Just pulled the original motor out of my '77 Datsun and still researching threads here on the swap. I'm going carbs for more show and less wires and electronics. You may want to keep all that stuff though. I'm going full bag and bodydrop too.

I've thought about doing a skyline engine lol, trust me it was in my mind at one time haha (the RB25DET though)... as for the L motor that's in it, it runs very rough. This is why I wanted to do a swap in the first place.

Here's a question for you guys...

Which is easier for a first time engine swap? SR20DET or KA24DE?

It seems like most people are going KA when bagged.

Here is my Beebani's (jason) old 620, it is bagged and has a KA swap.. there is a build up on it here on Ratsun.. it shows the build from the ground up. Jason (Beebani) is on here from time to time still,,,

bth_103_1326.jpgIMGP0894.jpg

That is a beautiful engine. Nice! Whatever I decide to go with be it an sr, ka, etc... I'm sure it will be a nice truck they are all good. That's what's making a hard choice for me...

• Like 1

I would say that the Frontier KA24DE would be the easiest swap I have seen so far, as you don't have to flip the center link. With a set of my mounts and a 720 transmission from a NAPZ truck, it is almost a bolt in swap. You have to clearance the engine crossmember a bit. Flipping the center link to use the 240SX DE isn't that big of a deal though.

If you click the link in my sig for the 620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets there are examples of both KA's being installed. My build thread is also in my sig and shows what I had to go through. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site. Stoked to find the site as I've had my 78 620 for 7 years. Its been fully bagged for 4 years now. I just started a swap project to put a 327 V8 in it. I know many of you guys disagree with that swap, but my dad has an extra V8 and the 620 has been sitting as its not my daily driver, so i decided to go ahead with the swap. Anyways, i think the sr20 swap is a great idea, but why not a vg30? I'll get some pics up of my truck shortly.