32/36 question

I cant believe this is happening to me. (NOT a L motor god NO MORE) Down grade me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to recent gas prices and some blowby& bad exhaust gasket on my motor using 40mm Mikunis(open vent on crankcae and valve cover)

I went back to a 32/36 DGV.w /PCV hook hose

To make thus short as possible I cant get it to idle.

I swapped 2 DGVs and one is NEW and a 38DGES (used)

after swapping out another L16 intake I got a old DGV to finally idle with the speed screw all the way out but mixture settingis out over 2 1/2 turns meaning a bigger idle jet needs to be used,Right. I have a 60 right now.

Now all I can figure is I have a vaccum leak But I swapped everything,new gaskets, a new carb then untill I swapped another Intake it finally runs on the old 32/36carb.

I have a 475 lift cam 275 duration but Im thinking a 32/36 should still run fine.

asking for any suggestions on what to do next.

Upsize the idle jet?

New carb is bad from the box??has anybody seen this?

I am stummped ,this should have been only a hour job which I have done before with no proplems using DGVs But I cant figure this out.

I did not find anycracks in the first l16 intake I used.

If anything shoulnt the DGV have more vacuum since there is a cam in there.

just any thoughts out there?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had plugged them. has vacuum,

its timmed

there isnt a whole lot to a L16 intake.

plugged the PCV also, but they still run if the hose is removed also on a good sytem.(i tried it on my 521)

ill put th other used 38DGES on later and if it workes then it was the used L16 intake and the new Weber has been set wrong(float) that my only other thoughts on it

Oh no Hainz you are rocking my very foundations here!:D You are like a pillar of dattoness. I suddenly feel scared and alone.... I mean I Hainz can't figure it out...

Ah... but if I know you you will have the answer in no time and restore my faith in the l-motor god.

You know I wish I could help, alas...

really Im looking for if anybody has increased their idle jet where it makes a difference. I have a 60 right now.

Im looking for some one who runs these DGV in a racing class and what they do in case of a bigger cam.

But I have been luck all these years just bolting DGVs on and they run Perfectly wheither a cam in there or not.

maybe the New DGV was made during the strike (which they had a while back) and was set wrong from factory. I have no idea.

My only option is to replace the 32/36 with my 38DGES. If it works then it was the intake. If not then its a bad or misajusted carb.

I will take the New DGV that I think is bad from Factory and put it on my truck and see if it idles so I can sort this out .

But if everything worked from the start this whole swap from sidedrafts to downdraft would have taken less then a hour if everything was right.

So always have a spare car. If a Datsun is your only car to go to work and it runs GOOD. Dont take it apart!!!!!!!!!!

Amen brother!! :lol:

And fisch...even pillars need support sometimes. :cool:

You're totally right ofcourse Phleb.:) I am just teasing. I will always bow to the alter of the L-motor god. I feel like rushing to help, "Finally a chance to give something back!" but have no way of doing so.

And Hainz you are right about leaving well enough alone! If i have learned anything about my datto it is that any time I touch something, something else goes wrong! And 5 min jobs often turn into 5 day jobs! (course mine had been neglected for 10 years, it is bound to be a little cranky. I figure eventually I will work myself through every system and learn alot along the way!)

I remember when I got my Weber it came with a Offy manifold. I was going to put it on for the cool factor, and you said something like, "Dude if the manifold you have is working fine, DON"T take it off, just replace the carb!" I am soo glad I listened to you that day.

are you sure the hardware is secure on the new carb?

open it and check that the jets are clear.

I might have to do that later on.

I hate taking this apart when they have a new gasket on there already. Sometimes I never can seal them good again.(that why I never took it apart yet)

also says to make sure the float is 17/18mm from top of gasket line(why should I have to do this when its new?)

so is the cam all thats done to the motor? no porting or oversized pistons or anything?

I say if your current settings tell you that you need a bigger idle jet, swap it out, its simple... this doesn't seem like the hainz I know, you should have had this thing spanked by now man.

If your swapping to the dgv for mileage then why not put stock cam back in too? Hell you've got some blowby just do a quick topend rebuild... or throw on a good round port l20 emissions head...

If your swapping to the dgv for mileage then why not put stock cam back in too? Hell you've got some blowby just do a quick topend rebuild... or throw on a good round port l20 emissions head...

are you gonna tell him to take off the rising sun too... :eek: :lol:

One time I had that issue it was the passage to the idle jet that was plugged. Unscrew the jet and blow air into it. It will bubble up into the fuel bowl.

It took quite a bit of vaccume leak to cause it to not idle at all. I had a loose carb and it would still idle but not as smooth.

I would think you can get away with almost any size idle jet. It hardly needs anything to keep a small 4 cyl running at 700rpm

hainz, i have the same problem, but only i think its the stock cam in my 620. and like mike said, its lots less vacuum when you put a bigger profile cam in. i have to try and richen up my idle or something. only problem with mine is right now, when i go down a hill it backfires. go figure.

yeah Im going to swap a idle jet

But the DGAV uses the bigger type size and all my others are the smaller type size(who thought of doing this) well its the size that can use the anti deisel selinoid.

Just so happen I dont have a vast amount of idle jets to choose from and Im already running a 60 which is bigger than most people use.

I already ck to see if they are clear. Il try the 38DGES

as for the bigger cam I had run a Schneider 460/260 with th a DGV before and had no proplems and a 475/275 could not make that much big of a differece I would think.

As for going back to stock cam? NO Ill never do that.Plus I gave all the core to Delta in Tacoma,

I always thought the Schneider 460/260 should have come stock in all L motors.

Ill figure this out.

I have other proplems Im dealing with right now. The neiboores keep cutting the phone line running thru their yard. Cutting the lines to the cul de sac.The phone company is no help.