L16 intakes- 2 KINDS?! WTF?

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

I was checking out the intake manifold I got from Slodat yesterday, and comparing it to the one Hainz gave me. Looking inside of the ports, Hainz's one has 2 channels that run down the #2 and #3 ports, Slodat's is smooth and plain inside just like the other ports, none of those channels. What's the difference. Does one perform better than the other?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DatsuNoob

I'll try and get some pics on here later tonight, but one of them has two curved troughs that run from where the carb dumps in all the way to the openings of the intake ports. Kinda weird, I dont know what they would be for.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I started to pull my part '78 truck L20B apart (internet down, funny I get more work done when that happens, I wonder...) anyway, the intake has these grooves running along the bottom of the runner too. But, it's only on the front #1 and #2 cylinders. Makes no sense at all.

my L16 manifold had that too.... and I ported it as well. :)

In fact, I think I still have it. They are power channels.

POWER CHANNELS? for a 95 HP engine?..um yeah! LOL wonder if it would help to atomize the incoming gases...but why only two ports?..hmmmmmm where is the Japanese engineer when you need him?

no kiddin huh ron .. try changin the oil filter on a 92 nissan sentra se-r .. its a nightmare gettin my hand in there and the little "tool" dont even fit down there i have to stab a screw driver all the way through it to brake it loose.. gettin it back on is a little easier you just take that screw driver and... LOL just kiddin but ya gettin it on is easier i dont know why.. it would be lovely to know a japanese engineer to perform these tasks for me.. an maybe explain some of the werid stuff they've done to these vehicles LOL

no kiddin huh ron .. try changin the oil filter on a 92 nissan sentra se-r .. its a nightmare gettin my hand in there and the little "tool" dont even fit down there i have to stab a screw driver all the way through it to brake it loose.. gettin it back on is a little easier you just take that screw driver and... LOL just kiddin but ya gettin it on is easier i dont know why.. it would be lovely to know a japanese engineer to perform these tasks for me.. an maybe explain some of the werid stuff they've done to these vehicles LOL

i had to change the water pump on my girls 93 sentra that was not fun at all

It's cause the engineers got smaller hands. Or theirs are normal and ours are like baseball mits.

Seriously though, I find the engineering top notch on almost everything. Just take a look at how easy it is to fix and maintain a 620. Now just try to find an equivilent N AM piece of junk that simple. There's dozens of examples of crap that should NEVER have 'hit' the road. Don't get me started. I cringe every time one passes me.

• 11 months later...

I have an early L20B '75 truck I think. I has both manifolds joined and has a heat riser and valve. There are no holes for water from the head and does not have these grooves.

This manifold is from a '78 620 auto and has them on the front two cylinders only. Further in the metal is thiner between the water passage and the groove. Maybe it has something to do with intake warming. But why warm the front two. Maybe the front two get more cold air blown on them by the fan on cold days and run cooler?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/wreckingyard2608052.jpg[/img]"]wreckingyard2608052.jpg

They join and continue to the first bend before the carb.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/wreckingyard2608054.jpg[/img]"]wreckingyard2608054.jpg