V8 in 620

PandaStar

Like the title says has anyone ever put one in a 620?

I am thinking about doing either a LS3 or one of the new Coyote motors from Ford. It is a thought and I might not if there hasn't been one before, not really wanting to pioneer this myself.

edited for additional info

the Truck in question is a 79 620

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the title says has anyone ever put one in a 620?

I am thinking about doing either a LS3 or one of the new Coyote motors from Ford. It is a thought and I might not if there hasn't been one before, not really wanting to pioneer this myself.

edited for additional info

the Truck in question is a 79 620

Have you done a V8 swap into a small truck before??? In other words what similar experience do you have with these trucks?

Do you have a garage or place to do this because it's going to take time making all the one-off parts for this. The longer it takes to do, the less chance of it being completed. Interest starts to drop.

Do you have tools, welder and welding skills? Fabrication skills?

Do you have money saved for this? Did you make up a shopping list of parts and expenses, a plan?

Some thoughts:

Firewall will need cutting to fit a V8 properly with rad in place. This means no heater.

Tunnel will probably need cutting to fit the transmission.

One piece steering box/column and torsion bar suspension, brake master cylinder leaves little space on the driver's side.

V8 of any make is going to add unwanted front end weight.

Don't want to see this cut up and not completed then scrapped so do your research and homework.

• Like 2

Have you done a V8 swap into a small truck before??? In other words what similar experience do you have with these trucks?

Do you have a garage or place to do this because it's going to take time making all the one-off parts for this. The longer it takes to do, the less chance of it being completed. Interest starts to drop.

Do you have tools, welder and welding skills? Fabrication skills?

Do you have money saved for this? Did you make up a shopping list of parts and expenses, a plan?

Some thoughts:

Firewall will need cutting to fit a V8 properly with rad in place. This means no heater.

Tunnel will probably need cutting to fit the transmission.

One piece steering box/column and torsion bar suspension, brake master cylinder leaves little space on the driver's side.

V8 of any make is going to add unwanted front end weight.

Don't want to see this cut up and not completed then scrapped so do your research and homework.

Yes I've been on builds with big motors in small cars and trucks

440 in a volare

572 in a s10

and I have my own garage so to speak

its the right side of my 2 car garage that currently houses my other project a 2001 beetle that is getting new head new exhaust, big turbo, suspension mods and new computer. I don't do anything fast as I am suffering from degenerative bone disease and nerve damage so this project will take time. and I won't do it if I think I don't have the skills or tools for the job I love this old truck and am doing a frame off resto of it no matter what once the bug is done.

Im in the midst of doing mine right now.... it takes alot of patience if you dont have the cash. Correct fab tools are a must, its gonna take forever (6 yrs so far). 84 LTD crown vic 302 and its 4speed auto. 8.8 explorer rear end narrowed to datsun width. no exhaust yet, thats the other big ticket item. Truck 100$, motor and trans 0$, rear end 850$, yukon axles 80$ each, fuel cell 250$, driveshaft shorten and reweld (crown vic) 150$, lokar cables 100$, 4 barrel mustang aluminum manifold 50$, 13" flex fan 50$, fan adapter 25$, explorer water pump/pulleys/brackets 75$, Other stuff I have no idea... lots of little things. workin at a tire store PRICELESS!

If you want to V8 a small truck, just do a S-10 or ranger. Not saying it would be easy, but its definitely easier than ruining a Datsun. I have always wanted to put a Nissan Presidential engine in a 620 just because it would be all nissan.

I like my V8 S-10, I run a stock 350 TBI with a 5 speed. It handles good, pulls good, fun burnouts, 14.38s @ 95 in quarter mile, 23 miles to the gallon, and it was cheap to build.

I appreciate

If you want to V8 a small truck, just do a S-10 or ranger. Not saying it would be easy, but its definitely easier than ruining a Datsun. I have always wanted to put a Nissan Presidential engine in a 620 just because it would be all nissan.

I like my V8 S-10, I run a stock 350 TBI with a 5 speed. It handles good, pulls good, fun burnouts, 14.38s @ 95 in quarter mile, 23 miles to the gallon, and it was cheap to build.

I appreciate the Datsun loyalty I do, but I can't stand the small american trucks they just have no soul no design flare in my opinion. the datsun is unique and I just want to make it more unique. I am not at the point of starting the project this is why I am putting question out like this so I can build a design for the build. And just to put your mind at ease I am most likely going to go with a v6 or smaller to minimize metal work.

shock value under the hood is a turbine engine. google army DRMO yards and pick up an old AGPU (aircraft ground power unit) u can get a smaller one, stuff it in there, use it to power an electric motor to the xmsn. think about it.. an electric motor is capable of like 90% torque at 0 rpm. the constant whine of the turbine would get old after a while tho.. and buying JP-8 or JET-A constantly would suck too. u think 98 octane is expensive.... lol. ehh.. scratch this idea... its more high concept low practicality. still wanna see it done tho.

Rolls Royce-Allison 250 series gas turbine engine would have the holy f*** value (320-HP turbine with approximately 425-ft/lbs of torque @2000rpm) . Since they are used in the Y2K superbike size is not a problem for under the hood and it runs on diesel, kerosene or Jet A for fuel. one was put into an Chevy S10