Draker's old Blue 71 KA 510 Goon - SOLD

Draker

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like updates without pictures but I was feeling like I haven't done shit in a while. I just bought a full Victor Reinz gasket kit for the KA24e. I think I am going to tear it all the way down just to get a good look inside. Are the head bolts torque to yield, anyone? If they are I might not do it.. but I'd really like to get a good look at the head.. valves and pistons.

Also, I work at a dealer with 3 franchises.. yet we don't have a working parts washer.. WTF. We've got a solvent tank.. but it's not the same. Cheap motherfuckers don't even maintain their own shit.

I assure you all I haven't been completely idle this week.. got a few things cooking. But I need to spend more time in the garage. I think this weekend I'll be out in the garage cleaning and craigslisting a bunch of old crap I don't need anymore. Not much datto stuff though. Maybe a few things.

You can take off the intake/exhaust manifold to look at the valves.. just use a flashlight. The gaskets are cheaper than the bolts if they are torque to yield. Also, to see the pistons, just remove the spark plugs and use a bright LED flashlight. You can gain a view at different angles by rotating the engine via the crank pulley and a big socket... i like to use my foot like a foot pump to turn the engine when i do this. 

good luck, i like you're build.

Yeah, I looked at the backside of the valves already. Everything looks good there although a leakdown shows some of them leaking. I might find out if the bolts are re-usable before I dive in that far. The thing I've got to keep in mind is it there is plenty room in the engine bay to work and it will only take a few hours to pull the engine again if needed. Unlike the Z32 there is no room to work at all and it takes a LONG time to get that engine out of there. Well, I'm actually pretty good at removing the VG now.. but looking in the engine bay you are like.. "wtf? Thanks Asia."

• Like 1

Not an update.. but had to do some errands at work today. Picked this as my DD for today. I love this car, but I will probably never own one again. I fell in love again hopping inside.. I've missed that Range Rover smell.. (I know it's just the leather, but it's definitely different than other cars)

2013-02-19_11-48-47_336_zpse5dca081.jpg

• Like 1

I claim its the Euro car smell. Every time I get into a Euro car, its just intoxicating, ok well maybe not the low end VWs, but I find it to be true with Mercedes/Audi/BMW/Land Rover.

My VW just smells like crayola crayon which is surprisingly nice.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Say it isnt so! Swapping everything over to the two you just picked up?

Yeah. That's what I'll be doing. I've already got the stock suspension back in the goon and it's on the ground. I'm out of space.. I can find another goon if I need one.. but finding a cheap 2 door is hard.. So I need to let this one go. I'll be listing it only here on Ratsun for the time being. Gotta keep it in the family..

I know I'll regret it.. but someone will get a good deal.