Draker's old Blue 71 KA 510 Goon - SOLD

Draker

I've been on the hunt for a 510 for a long time. Everything I found was either junk or priced out of my budget or both. I saw Joey's for sale ad and initially wasn't interested in it. After a while he started to slash the price tag and sweeten the deal with more parts. After I saw no one was biting and he was going to start to part it.. I couldn't see this happen. He had collected an impressive amount of parts for this car and it would be a shame to imagine what would happen in the hands of the craigslisters out there.

I emailed Joey back and forth a few times and decided to make the trip up north with a dolly. The car was as described and then some. In his for sale ad he listed some of the major parts that came with the car. When I got there he had already gathered all the parts that came with the car, which was way more than what was listed. It's a good thing I came with a truck because we loaded the dime completely full, the bed of the truck full, and the extra cab of the truck was full of parts. Me being a hoarder at heart, I opted for no datto part left behind.

We got everything ready to go, I gave him the cash, got the title and I rolled out. Joey was very easy to work with and the transaction was very smooth. However with the quantity of parts, get ready for some ID this part questions. I already warned him I'd be in contact when I forget the origin of a part.

I was headed back to Eugene and stopped off in Aurora to get something to drink. I stopped at the Popeye's/minimart and parked out back by the semi-truck stop and headed in. One of the diesel techs (Tony I believe) stopped me and asked if the wagon was the one from SE Portland with the KA. Apparently he was trying to buy this as well but couldn't send an email through Craigslist for some reason. He drove a 210 which he had custom fabbed and air ride suspension using air cylinders instead of bags. We BS's about datsuns for a while and he offered to buy the wagon if I ever wanted to unload it. Tony said he visits Ratsun every now and then and he's looking to buy a wagon. If anyone is looking to unload a wagon, I've got his contact info.

I continued home for the next 80 or so miles with no issues. Got home and rolled the wagon off the dolly and started unloading parts from the truck. Blah Blah Blah, Datsun.

Here are pictures:

c9bcaebf.jpg
It got dark after unloading parts and returning the dolly. These are the only pictures I have so far. There will be a lot more once I actually start working on it. I bought this for a winter project. So when it's pouring down rain outside, I'll be working on this in my garage.

8f603cf0.jpg
You can see there are a bunch of parts still stacked inside and a good view of my tire chock. Also Joey did give me legit wheel chocks... lol

330c2b40.jpg
View of the stable as it currently sits. I've been doing a lot of work around my house so the garage is packed full of random stuff. Eventually there will be two cars in there.

e263ced3.jpg
Picture of my found wares. This is all of the stuff that I loaded in the bed and cab of the truck. Look, a set of actual wheel chocks! Dime is still packed full of more goodies.

0896f728.jpg
Another angle of some parts. Many of them are spares and extra's. I've got them all packed away in the shed now. It's a good thing because it rained about 15 minutes after putting all of these away.

b93c7682.jpg
This is what will be powering the dime. Even got a free engine stand.. woo hoo! Good thing because my stand has a VG30DETT on it.. and I would have had to buy another.

Parts I am looking for:
-Can/Am Box
-Radiator what will work with the KA.
-E-Fan and wiring
-Trade for another good hood. This one has some interesting patina on it and I'd hate to paint over it.
-68 Grille
-T3 Camber plates
-Dash pad in good shape (no cracks or dings)
-Wind Fairing

Plans:
-Clean inside and out.
-Prep engine bay and paint.
-Prep body and paint (Will likely stay factory color)
-Moar lower. I've got the parts, just need to install.
-Projector head lights
-Blue to Black interior.

• Like 2
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Had a pretty rough morning and opted to take the day off.

IMG_20120918_190125_zps4a942497.jpg

Spent the day doing a little local shopping. Picked up these bits. One brow trim down. One to go! Got the rear ash tray since I was missing the rear driver side one, but after popping it open a few times the little nub on the bottom broke off.... I'll attempt to epoxy it back.

I've got blue seats but I was thinking about switching the fronts to something a bit more modern... So the backs need to match. The seats seem to be in great shape. A few tears at the bottom of the back rest, but that's about it. For the age I'd say 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Also picked up some lower aluminum trim pieces that run along the rockers. Both left and right and very straight (not pictured).

Paid $210 for all. Not sure if I got taken on this or not, seemed like a good deal. The one brow I did get is really nice also.. So I was happy about that. If I like these seats I might have some blue seats for sale.

The guy had some almost identical eyebrow trim but they were slightly longer.. Any idea what these would go to? I wanted to buy them all but didn't know what they fit. Only the one I bought fit the wagon.

Overall, happy with the parts. Still hunting for a driver side brow trim in good shape.

The guy I got these parts from also had a project dime fitted with an sr20det. It was torn done but engine and trans were in. He said he had a modded Silvia dash they were installing. 48 way ground control coil overs installed. He said all parts are there and he would let go for $6500 if you caught him on the right day. Too rich for me at this point but it looked like it could be a good deal to the right person. Sorry no pics of that one.

Well after taking the day off yesterday I showed up to work to find I had received a package. No not the typical work related snoozer of a package... but a package clearly marked:

IMG_20120919_092235_zpse50e232a.jpg

What could it possibly be?

IMG_20120919_092333_zps3b27ea5d.jpg

Ta da!!

i believe so ...as far as i know theres a how to in the tech section its a common swap i guess. it came withte car and i am gonna use a extra stock one till i can afford the aluminum radiator

I'm interested. When you can, post a picture and we can work out the details.

totally man i will look tomorrow if its at my shop.....if not i will check at datsunville this weekend

some info not sure if its the same as i have or not

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/15318-radiator-for-a-ka24de/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37849-what-radiator-to-use-for-ka-swap/

pretty sure its the sams as creepy'sbut i will check ... u have to put a t fitting with a cap in i t since it runs no cap

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta keep the drive way and bumper clean and safe.

That bark is a painful reminder that I need to do more yard work.. Get that shit out of my driveway so I can pull the Z out and get the goon in the garage to start wrenching.