Draker's old Blue 71 KA 510 Goon - SOLD

Draker

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was chasing down a car I found on craigslist. It was a 1976 BMW 530i (E12). It had a pair of mirrors on it that appeared to be the same as the E10 flag mirrors. I did a lot of hunting around to find out if they are the same and they look very very similar.. the last step was to go look on the car.

Turns out the guy sold the car to a scrap/wrecking yard a few days before.. but he gave me his phone number. I called the guy and he said "I sold the transmission out of the car and scrapped the rest." So sad... those mirrors would have been worth more than the transmission and both of them together would have been more than the asking price of the car on craigslist.. Another one bites the dust.. Moving on.

Been slowly working on the steering components today.. Got the tie rods separated and was removing them to replace them. Got one side off... The other side was stuck solid... So I cut it off. On to the second one, got one side off and the other side was stuck... Or so I thought. Got an even bigger wrench and tried removing it... Nothing. Tried wrenching on it in the opposite direction.. And off it came. Derp derp, rookie mistake. Reverse threaded.. Explains why I had to cut the first one off... Lulz. The more you know.

So I was able to put in some garage time today.

First up was to get my cross member marked out and ready to cut. I've been going over multiple ways to mark it out so that the cuts will be parallel and square.

I came up with a this..... Precision lasers!!!

2012-11-17_15-14-08_621_zps4e48a34f.jpg

Or is it...? Zoom out. lol

2012-11-17_15-14-48_653_zps1dfc5716.jpg

I got it all marked out and made some measurements to make sure it's square. Everything looks good. Here it is ready to cut and flip. I actually started cutting it after I took this picture to get a head start before I weld the braces on it.

2012-11-17_15-16-40_168_zpsb8613c48.jpg

Lastly... I spent some time replacing the tie rods and cleaning everything up.

2012-11-17_16-22-04_504_zpsbc5b3a3c.jpg

Should have the crossmember flipped and ready for a make over this week. Hoping to do it early this week if I can. I don't have a welder so I have to see if my buddy will let me use his. Next up is to replace the lower control arm bushings. I tried pressing them out already but they are stuck in there like Excalibur. Going to have to apply some heat and see if I can get them to budge. If that doesn't work I will cut them out.. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Been scouring the united states for a pair of 2002 flag mirrors. I've got a lead on a drivers side which is the most important one.. I've got a lead on half a passenger side one.. need a base for it... Will probably pass on that one though unless I can source a base. Anyone?

Put in a little work on the cross member today. Was able to get access to a friends welder. Layed down a few test beads and made a few tack welds for now. This is what I've got. If you look closely I flipped the crossmember and tacked in into place... Then I got all OCD because it was slightly crooked because I didn't have any vise grips to hold it square and flush while welding. So then I cut the tack welds off and will work a bit more on it tomorrow when I can secure it in place. I know it would have held just fine but I would always know it's not completely straight and could have been better so apart it came.

2012-11-19_18-10-36_86_zps8fbd7d8a.jpg

Flip complete! Accidentally deleted the picture of this one in photobucket and my phone. Use your imagination. I'd take another picture but Adam has it now.

2012-11-20_18-41-43_497_zps2838e8ce.jpg

The welds are hideous.. but they will hold. The metal would get so heat soaked after a while and I'd blow through it... then have to go back and repair the blow out. Ah well.. like I said, they are pretty solid just ugly.

Just bought a pair of BMW flag mirrors. So... now I'll have one extra drivers side flag mirror that will be going up for sale. I'll post in for sale section when I get the pair I just bought. Also might have the set of mirrors I bought from Illest coming up for sale as well. I thought I might try them on my truck first to see how they work. Might be too small though.

Yeah I think it's okay. I'm going to have it powder coated, florescent black. You've got that color right Jrock?

I think I might by that eastwood 135 welder that someone posted up also... I have a few more days to think about it.. lol

Got out in the garage again today. Cleaned up a bit and wheeled this in.

2012-11-25_20-35-39_826.jpg

2012-11-25_20-35-27_883.jpg

I am thinking about how far I am going to tear into this motor. I figure if I am getting the full engine gasket kit, I might as well replace the head gasket... Not totally sure I'll go that far though. I'll probably pull the bottom end off and check the bearings and plasti-gauge them. Then obviously replace all gaskets and clean it up. I just want to see what exactly I'm working with here.

First things first, leakdown test. Then I'll go from there. Will do that tomorrow evening.

Looking to sell my JBL 13W7 1000.1 amp and cap. Don't need to sell, I've been sitting on this for 3 years since I removed it from my Range Rover. If you know anyone looking.. it works great. Very very loud. Sounds great! I'd use it, but I don't have anything to put it in. Trunk of the wagon? hrm.. Need to install an alarm first.

2012-11-25_17-53-18_680.jpg

2012-11-25_17-53-06_84.jpg

2012-11-25_17-52-56_633.jpg