I need some help for my corona

I know its not a datto. but i bought still cool. i bought a '67 corona the other day ad it would crank but ot start. so i me and my brother (sixty-nie-dime) checked and realized that the cap and rotor werent gettig spark. so went to autozone ad bought coil. coil was installed. now it wont crank over. but the lights will turn on so we know the car i gettig power. Any suggestions on wat the problem could be?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your spelling for one. :rofl: Sorry, too easy. Ok then, so what all did you remove to put the coil in? I know this is going to sound dumb but you didn't hook the battery up backwards did you? If you just removed the coil then the car should be truning over regardless of the coil being hooked up or not.

Ok, here's the simple three things you need to know about a engine, check for fuel, check for spark, check for air. If you got those three things, the engine should fire up (Just can't tell you how it will run) So the thing you need to figure out is, what happened to your power, my suggestion...check your fuse box and wires running from the starter to the battery.

fuses look like there ood. but im going to replace themm all anyway. and the wires from he starter to battery are hidden. (goes through firewal, and gets lost under the dash)

but i do know its getting gas, ad are just no power. i just downloaded a wiring diamgram. just gotta print it and go through it

I'm talking about the wires under the hood J. Check the starter and battery cable first, look around and see if there is a wire you may have knocked loose when messing with that coil, take a picture of the engine bay and post it here.

I would check the battery as well. Then I would check the distributor and such... theres only so many things in the electrical system that you can mess with. The engine cranked, you replaced one item, and now it doesnt work. You had to do something.

(1) Check/Inspect/replace ,,, your points and condensor. If you have EI than test the pickup/module ( I have never worked on a yota )

*Check for power from main harness to ign (+) wires.

*Carefulley inspect and check distributor wires etc etc etc blah blah blah corrosion

(2) Since you stated you tested the battery ,,,

What were the readings from your battery test ?

*Check for power through fuses quickly ,,, (multi-meter on each end ,,, voltage )

*quickly clean off battery cable ends and perform a voltage drop test on them. If bad toss them without blinking and pick up a new pair.

*clean your battery terminals and apply grease/preservant.( looks cleaner though)

*Check your starter excite wire ,,, pull it off the starter (inspect it),,, stick a multi-meter on it ,,, and have a friend turn the ignition key to "start" position ,,, while you test for signal.

*Test starter by bypassing/jumping it ,,, will tell you in seconds if it works or not.

You're going to want to use closed-loop connectors on your ignition coil ;)

Must......not.........troll..............ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Do what DTP said, well or what King Bee said lol.

The probs prob in the battery/starter area, if the bat/connections/starter are all good the motor turns that all there is to it. if Then after that it doesnt turn over you can check other things, or come back for more abuse.

The easiest way to check imho is to jump the starter from the bat with a separate cable, whether it turns or not you still found the problem/solution.

• Like 4

Thanks Dtp

Ill go through the list. I think spudily might drop by in a few dad of it isn't running by then.

And Jay what's this trolling you talk of? :rofl:

Thanks Dtp

Ill go through the list. I think spudily might drop by in a few dad of it isn't running by then.

no prob man. Hope it helps !

Pretty sure you should get it pretty soon/quick.

If not come back to the water cooler !! :sneaky:

Jalen is trying hard guys... lets not troll until theres 15pgs of no work and the car is in complete pieces.

ya hence post #14 :lol: . With 10 tips of awesomeness maximus in it. yo !!!

Previous owner had redone some wiring and messed us up with the wire colors. He had a black wire which should of been red. Ohh well thats fix. Now time to get her running