ruby (510 wagon L20B 5-speed driver build)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

So my family gave me a weekend to get this engine back where it belongs. Good times. Surfaced my flywheel. Lifted the block. Bolted the flywheel down. Started to put the clutch in annnnd.

19076952-3530-4172-AA08-EB0C631656BC.jpg

Damn 225mm clutch, and a 200mm flywheel. I never checked the diameter of the wheel after I got it. Shame. So I bolted up a 200mm clutch I had laying around. Had to clean it up considerably, and the clutch face is still pitted, but at least I got the engine trans in the car. I'll order a new clutch when the engine fires up and still works.

7B96D8C6-4D73-4494-B835-1A842207B829.jpg

Oh and installed the steering linkage

AAB1CAA1-A142-41E0-97FC-DF51E41CBEF4.jpg

Good reference image for stock 1971 510 wagon front.

I'll take that flywheel off your hands if you decide to go 225 to match the clutch ;)

Looking good!

I know. I was looking for a 200 without success. Found a score on a nice 225 and went with it. Turns out it was a 200. I'm happy about that part, I just wish I measured. I bet most of you would know just by looking...

I had a Roaster clutch for 6 years, it was my daily for most of that time, mostly surface streets light traffic. but the last year I ran it is was stop and go interstate traffic  It was rough but not impossible, but so just a couple days a week it shouldn't be an issue. And with the aluminum flywheel the thing would scream, it'll be a fun setup for sure.

Thank you for the reply.  What I am after is what people mean by "rough".  Is it just a heavy pedal?  or is it jerky?  Or is it a short action?  I just want to know what I sacrifice specifically.  If anyone feels they can elaborate, I would be grateful.  

• 4 weeks later...

So. She survives the Hurricane...

16F453BF-6179-4FC1-BD75-AB4B30C22360.jpg

72D9BF84-2CE8-4FEA-AF19-2F1A06734262.jpg

I've got the Engine in , trans in, and as I put the drive shaft in, it went beyond far enough to bolt the differential. This was the gap pushed all the way in.

0D8C3BCF-195A-4FF2-A5F7-9B8ADEF60975.jpg

Is that too much?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...