ruby (510 wagon L20B 5-speed driver build)

I can't find the article, there is one for the sedan, but I remember seeing one for a goon.... maybe it's in someone's project thread. Anyway there are good advantages for the swap. Heat kills batteries. There is the moving of up to 40 pounds from the front to the back over the axle. More space in the engine compartment. Some set ups use a Ford starter solenoid to connect the positive cable to the starter... a good place for a kill switch.

I have some projector headlights I want to use but they won't come close to fitting with a battery in the way. Will look into this more for sure, even to getting a smaller battery. It's a 710 goon but can't be that different from a 510.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Shit hit the fan. Seems everything I own fell apart in the last few weeks. Namely my laptop, and my backup drive. Painful. But this weekend I pulled out everything aside from the block to prepare for pulling the engine transmission. Feels good to cross that point of no return.

I plan on detaching the transmission from the block and pulling them separate. Is that inadvisable?

I have a camera. No computer to load pics to photobucket. My phone cant upload to photobucket due to out of date software that I am unwilling to upgrade. Oh well, gotta get a new laptop. at least $2K. But my last MacBook Pro lasted me over 6 years. Not too bad. they don't like getting smashed though.

I have a red Optima. Love this battery. I found a great spot to mount it. Kinda passenger side of the front of the engine. Right next to the fuel filter. There is even a little shelf for it!!! Sweet.

Photos are out of order. I just finished pulling the Engine. I've got to pull the trans this week. Then body work time! So relieved to have this done. Last time I pulled an engine I had a come-along tied to an attic rafter. The Engine hoist is much nicer. And I just got a new engine stand so that will help cleaning that bugger up. I'm thinking about Engine bay color. My original plan was to keep it the body color. Now I am considering a darker red. Just a shade or two darker, but the same base color. The delineated bay looks nice, but it doesn't look like I'm trying to hide dirt. And it lets the engine pop. Also looking for all of the little knick knacks to keep the bay clear of all un-necessary clutter. These relays are butt ugly! Gotta solve that one.

Alright. engine bay is clean, on to rust.

I'm considering re-locating my brake line "hub"? (block distributing pressure to the wheels). It's ugly and very visible. I don't see a thread on this topic. Any tips or previous photos of cars with this done?

Shit, don’t know how I missed this thread but I have a few pics you have been asking about...

Here is a shot of my brake distribution/warning switch delete. The block I used came for a nissan in the junk yard but I cant remember an exact model... I think I have another one if your interested.

IMG_5247.jpg

IMG_5252.jpg

I also re routed all the lines to clean the bay up a bit. All the lengths were off the shelf Napa pre made lines so I think I did everything for about $30

IMG_5263.jpg

And I also relocated the battery to the back using a method described by Mike with a solenoid, maxi fuse for the fuse panel feed and kill switch.

2012-01-21_20-41-25_967.jpg

Here it is mounted.

2012-10-17_08-00-46_644.jpg

If your at all still considering it, here is the diagram I used.

batteryrelocation.png

I'm also using the exact same transmission as you are and I modified the original shifter cover to work with the more common round truck rubber boot and the relocated shifter location...

2012-03-05_08-55-19_712.jpg

Also, I vote to go body color in the engine bay...

2012-03-16_13-26-35_383.jpg

2012-03-16_13-25-50_743.jpg

Hope these help

Joel

• Like 1