New 810 owner

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a 78 Dats 810 today and I want to give it a quick tune up tomorrow so I can drive it 240 miles back to my house. Its all stock with the 240z efi motor, 96k on the clock. I had the lube and oil place change the oil, and add some power steering fluid, they said it had a solid looking drivetrain. It was sitting for a few months before I got it, Ide like to check the transmission oil, or change it before the drive down, and i will look at the spark plugs. What else should I look over?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We Can't Help You Untill You Post Pictures...

Welcome. We enjoy pictures is what ***OCD ShIfTkEy***^^^ meant to say :lol:

*transmission oil really doesn't require changing. Just add and go! A long hose from the top engine bay fed by a funnel ... into trans fill plug ... if possible ... is best method if you do not have a "pump" and have limited access.

*Double check all lugnuts for tightness and are not stripped (if nothing else)

*Double check engine oil and caery extra! (In case of leak or burn)

*Make sure brake system is working/not leaking. Wouldn't hurt to keep extra DOT-3

*Check you clutch reservoir for clutch fluid. Add as needed!

*CAREFULLY inpect clutch slave cylinder. This is one of the most common "hey honey I know its 2am but I am broke down" situations of all time ... all time ... (you can rebuild or replace a clutch slave cylinder fairly quickly and easily if need be) These things sit and rot! Especially aluminum cylinder versions. I prefer cast.

*check all your turn signals/headlights/markers.

*check tire pressure (for sure since its been sitting)

*carry an assortment of small electrical supplies/cleaning ...

*carry extra tool set etc.

*inspect battery posts for severe corrosion and clean if neccessary.

*check and carry extra coolant.

*run fuel system cleaner if you can afford. If not run good brand gas.

*if you want to ... the differential fluid as well ( not likely if dry but good practice )

*if you live in a high rust area ... just make sure subframe stuff is still attached lol.

Note :--- you'll find electrical connections will be culprits more likely than not if you have problems. These are relatively easy to fix though ;).

These cars are solid though. You will enjoy it.

I'd personally LOVE to see the L24-efi stuff.. i have a 240z and and an l24 haha. I am diagraming to convert to l28e right now though.

Good luck!

Awesome thanks for all the great info Blue. I will definitely inspect the car better today and carry extra supplies with me.

The brakes/suspension feel real solid, the engine is a bit hesitant probably from sitting. The cars been out in Humboldt County for the past decade or so and these quite a bit of rust in the hood and truck. I definitely looked under the car/ in the wheel wells, inspected the rockers thoroughly and nothing underneath made me believe there was bad cancer to the frame.

What the best way to inspect the clutch slave cylinder? I know what it is just not sure what I should look for lol.

The spark plugs look old and rusty I want to pull them to look at the electrode. If I need to replace them whats the best plug to use?

Thanks!

P1030621.jpg

P1030619.jpg

P1030620.jpg

P1030625.jpg

• Like 1

Bring along an extra water pump with fan clutch, easily changed on the road if either give out. If it doesn't then you have an extra when the need arises.

After looking at the pics, bring duct tape to prevent thinning panels from flying off at speed, cheap insurance. :rofl:

Well after fixing a bad coolent hose which popped a pin hole leak, and crossing my fingers the car made the 200mile drive to my house without a problem. I like how smooth it cruises on the highway and how quite it is. Besides the hood and trunk cancer it really is a solid little car. The tranny did get pretty hot is this common for such an old car? I definetly did ductape my cold air intakes on the hood closed lol, the trunk is just a way to shave off some extra weight.

The po was an older man that passed away he had it since new and did take supprising good care of the car until his departure. The alternator, radiator hoses, belts, air filter etc were all replaced recently. For now I think I just want to clean up the engine, and go from there with this car.

• 3 months later...

Lol Damn I've had post all over here asking about that metal. I might be rocking a fiberglass and beer caned hood here in the near future. Thankfully this car had a babie life from the og owner. It's a real solid car despite the crazy visual rusted parts. The unibody chassis is solid. It was parked right by th coast by the daughter and pretty much left for dead on the street. It was driven ocassionally. I'm still working on the paint, so ill get some pics out soon.

You should have contacted me while you were here.

I was down in Nice a week ago.

"Rust Free California Car" doesn't apply to cars right

on the coast.I bought a Cortina that I owned years ago,that I

found in Redding.It sat right near the ocean for a few years,

uncovered.The bottom of the hood was rusted out,& it has some

rust in the c pillars, plus the front brake lines were really rusty.

It only has 69,000 miles on it,but I'm thinking about buy-

ing something nicer for a daily driver.

- Doug