looking at a bulletside. help

swamp_rat

ok i found a nice bulletside 620 datsun in a field. i looked at it good and it doesnt have any rust holes, the floor boards arent rusted through and all the parts appear to be there and wondering whats a decent price to pay for it? it doesnt appear to be in bad shape, just sitting. would it be worth rebuilding the stock engine? its a standard (im guessing 4speed) so should i keep that tranny or swap? also we plan to use this truck as a weekend show truck and put a yamaha r6 in the bed (somehow). would redoing the drums be ok or would it be safer to get all the stuff from a hardbody and the custom uppers to have disks? i been in the s10 scene and new to the datsuns, always loved them though. i've been searching through here but decided to ask you guys, i should have more info tomorrow and pics if the guy aggree's to sell it.

forgot to add, best of all, the keys are in the ignition, lol.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a lot of options for a datsun project. Especially a 620. Does it run? I can already bet it needs a carb and some ignition work if its been sitting long. 620s are easy to swap 5 speeds into and the drum brakes are decent so long as you bleed,adjust and replace things frequently.:blink:

well i have some pics and some good news. i found the guy that has the title, he will sell it..for $100. the engine DOES run, but they say it misses, and someone stole the radiator. it's only been sitting for 1 1/2yrs which doesnt seam bad. 4spd tranny works fine and everything. he also says he believes he has another engine for it in his shed. the truck is a 73 with a L16, is that a good engine? heres alot of pics and you tell me if this plus another engine is worth $100.

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

when its in my posession and get it all running right and find a radiator i can retro fit, i'll try and see if it does. since its a standard, it does NOT have cooling lines or anything running from the tranny to it right? only the hoses to the engine? if im correct then what would be the best rad to use to retro fit in there? it doesnt heva radiator so i need to figure something out lol.

if i can get a rad out of an older Z car that has a standard, couldnt it work? i heard the hights and widths are different and some have 2 & 3 core, but im putting an e-fan so i'll have more room to work with, if i have to i'll drop the rad a lil so it'll still fit under the hood.

i did find that article you speak of and will do that, seems pretty easy to do. $100 does seem pretty good for its condition and all. i love these trucks, just dont know alot about them, but i'm learning!

found this one on summit. would this be fine? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PLI%2D433633&N=700+4294925061+4294907729+4294907007+4294810996+115&autoview=sku

Yeah I guess... If your just going to leave her alone and just drive it that way. My truck Looked just like that when I got her, and well I have poured a lot of money on her... Here's a list to get an idea.

110 for a 5 speed

600 for a rebuild or 200 for a used engine

500 For other parts like fenders and other parts...

So expect to pay 1000+ or more just in parts.... But hey that didn't stop me!

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4057

BtW!!!! What is the color code of your new truck? :thumbsup:

nice find, and only 100.00 thats a steal any way u look at it, i'm sure that the "bug", will bite u soon, we all have said , oh it will be only a daily driver..yea right..i'm working on my 5th daily driver, and i have my eye on another, oopps did i type that out loud..:lol:, good score, there are plenty of us here to help u find parts..:)

well i went take more pics of it for more detail and to see all what i have to do. does a company make weld in patch panels for the rocker panel or do i have to make some myself? driver side rocker is rotted bad. heres the pics i took today for you guys, even with all of this, worth $100 to save her? if so i can go look at the first one i spotted to see if what i need is salvagable on it. im from southern louisiana so i dunno how many i can find to use parts.

only 2 holes IN the bed

IMG_1882.jpg

dash is a tad cracked, nothing major.

IMG_1884.jpg

pass fender is BAD.

IMG_1885.jpg

grill and rad support. support is bent, fixable?

IMG_1886.jpg

the hood hinges much be tight or something because they open a lil and then the hood just bends.

IMG_1888.jpg

no cracked windows at all!

IMG_1889.jpg

3 pics of the engine, tell me if im missing something ot what. lol

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

where the hood bends.

IMG_1893.jpg

rad support where its bent :( hope its fixable.

IMG_1895.jpg

no other dents besides the front, pass side is the same way

IMG_1896.jpg

very tiny hole that can easily be repaired. side of bed, only one also.

IMG_1897.jpg

another of the bed.

IMG_1899.jpg

inside the t-gate. one of the latches seem to be loose, anyway to fix it or get another?

IMG_1900.jpg

roof, not rusted through where the spots are. just a very uneven roof.

IMG_1901.jpg

driver side rocker panel is rotted BAD. anyone makes weld in patches?

IMG_1902.jpg

pass side isnt bad

IMG_1903.jpg

ya, even up in the northwest where those trucks are fairly common, $100 is worth it for a parts truck. That one there is a pretty nice parts truck.

You probably won't find a lot of used parts where you're at but that also makes your truck a bit more valuable. I'd suggest you set your sights lower than a "show truck" but you certainly can make it into a clean driver.

the radiator support can be bent back into shape. Most panels you want replaced will need to be custom made. Fenders and a hood can be purchased new if you've got the money.

The engine appears to be complete.