Things to consider on extended road trips?

I really want to take another road trip but now that I sold my old Honda Civic and I'm driving the 521, I worry. I'm trying to think of what piddly things may go out on a long trip. Thinking of my 240Z when I use to drive to the race track 3 hours away, never had a problem; putting 6 hours of highway a weekend on the car. Now that I almost have all the bugs worked out of the truck, I can't really figure anything going wrong.

I'm thinking bring some gear oil with me since GL4 can be hard to find. Spare electric fuel pump, belt, maybe a spare dizzy. I was thinking alternator as well but I don't know if I'm just going overboard now lol.

Was planning to do a day trip to the Corpus Christi from my place which is like 8-9 hours away but I can't find anyone with time or money to join me. I have family in the northeast and I'm thinking if I set aside a few more dollars I will go see them. Just went from 9 hour trip to 30 hour trip though. Hah!

rc7uys.jpg

I did the same route in my Civic and got a flat tire but other than that it seemed alright. No scary roads or anything. There was one spot in eastern Tennessee that she struggle going up a hill carrying our fat asses and all our shit in the trunk.

vesnxg.jpg

Knock on wood, everything works. Highway cruising for three hours and the temperature stayed steady. Starts up without trouble every time except for when she had bad battery cables in the dead of winter. Even then I could always get a jump or give her a roll and pop it in gear.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably have these but here is a reminder list:

Zip ties, safety wire, automotive electrical wire, hose clamps, gas tank repair, duct and electrical tap, bulbs, tow strap, something to lay on for working underneath, & buddies in another car or AAA. I know you will be taking tools, add a hammer, vise grips, and channel locks if you don't already include them. This stuff can be a life saver for the minor collisions with animals and things laying in the road.

Best wishes on your next trip!

+1 on the Zip ties and extra throttle cable and electrical tape (a roll is smaller than duct tape)

Leave the gear oil at home. Before you leave, look under the car to see if it is leaking. If it is replace the gasket/seal whatever is leaking. Small drips take months/thousands of miles to matter.

Get a nice firm cushion seat. Soft seats are good for short trips but not long trips.

I've driven my 620 to Las Vegas from Salt Lake City, UT and back with a friend in his 510 and we both had coolent hose issues. He had one that went around the back of the motor that drooped on his exaust intake and sprung a leak. On my truck the coolent hose that goes into the heater box inside the cab just sprung a leak for no good reason other than being almost 40 years old. Just do your best in your planning, keep an eye on your truck as you go, and have fun.

I have literally hundreds of thousands of miles of motorcycle touring under my butt. The issues are the same in a way. There were tools and spares that I packed for many trips before I ever used them. On the other hand, space and weight are an issue, so there were some items I quit packing after a while... because sometimes you have stuff go wrong anyway that you can't fix no matter what... and you are screwed. The majority of those types of issues are tire failures through the years, not mechanical stuff.

Earlier this year I did about 2000 miles in six days in my truck. I took every thing out of it down to an empty glove box, then tried to figure out what kinds of bullshit I should continue packing around day to day driving around, and for a trip or maybe a quick 150 mile blast to the beach and back. I stocked up on spare fuses, brake, parking, dash lamps and turn signal bulbs.

I always carry two small gallon cans of gas, and two quart bottles of water and a small containers of Goja hand cleaner & liquid soap to wash my hands, if I have a flat or have to wrench. I also have a small Craftsman hip roof box stuffed with sockets, box ends, all kinds and sizes of screwdrivers, vice grips, dikes... you know all kinds of goodies everybody is talking about. it weighs a ton.

A good set of jumper cables, mostly so I can help other people out it seems. Just spent $140 on a battery. No torque wrenches, oil filters, or stuff that... if you need them... dude you are probably fucked whether you have them or not.

Anyway, a small tarp or I carry a piece of wall to wall commercial carpet, so If I have to get on the ground even to have a look under the truck, I'm not laying in the dirt or mud. I carry spare points, (still run dual points, once I left the ignition on for a while when the points were closed and they burned so bad that it wouldn't start). A new cap and rotor in case you get all wet for some reason. Also a box of new plugs, incase you flood your engine and manage to foul the plugs so bad it won't fire.

I used to carry a shovel, two jacks, rope, a cigarette lighter plug in spotlight, spare winter gloves, heavy jacket, rain suit and a pancho... on and on all kinds of crap I been hauling around. What was I thinking a polar expedition?

About ten years ago I was riding out in the mountains in far northern California. It was 50 miles in either direction to anything resembling civilization and I got a flat. I had stopped in a dangerous spot and there were log trucks, so I ran on a flat back tire for about five miles, when I saw two guys at a trail head with an F-250 4x4 with two really badd-assed ATVs. I pull over to see if they could give me a lift in a town to get help.

One guy takes a look at my tire and says, I'll just patch it. I go, no way... you need a factory tool on a tire machine to get the tire off the wheel, it's high performance radial, blah, blah...

He grabs this little air compressor from behind the seat and plugs it into the cigarette lighter and pump up the flat until we see the hole. He take this little T-handle thing that is like a rat talied file, reams the hole out, then takes a strip of tire-patch stuff, and with another little T-handled tool plunged it into the hole, pulled it back out leaving the patch sticking out of the hole.

I was flat blown away. I couldn't believe this funky looking set-up worked. They swore up and down that they got holes in their ATVs all the time and they ran tires with multiple patches. I rode that tire 450 miles home... blew my mind... of course I got a new tire.

About a year after that I was driving my work truck where I was running really expensive RV tires rated for heavy loads. I picked up a roofing nail and it went flat right in front of a tire & wheel place! I go in and they say they can fix it right away. A kid throws a jack under it and starts to fix it with the same little T-handle thing-a-majob.

I go, hey man, I want you to strip the tire of the wheel and patch it from the inside. He goes, we don't do that any more. The manager tell me the same thing... oh, we patch motor homes and box vans like this all the time and never have any problems.

I was kind of in a bind and let him do it. Never had any problems with it and was on the work truck so it got abused regularly.

I found one of those little plug in compressors at a garage sale for three bucks. In the last few years I have had some really bad luck with tires getting the sidewalls ripped, one radial delaminated but never lost pressure. Also had a trailer tire pick up a nail and my Datsun picked up a nail on the freeway. Both times, all I had to do was stick a jack under it, find the hole, ream it, goop the patch stuff with glue and stick it in the hole. Plug in the compressor and It holds air right away. You don't have to take the wheel off. So far so good.

Oh and duh... make sure your spare has air in it??? Ask me how I know...

So to make a long post even longer... of all the crap you could take to get you out of a pickle... one of these cheap compressors and the funky $5 patch kit is what I would pack.

Stay hydrated, drink lots of water. Without it you don't function as well, are more tired, subject to headaches, lowered immune system. Carry an empty coffee cup to piss in so you don't have to leave the vehicle.

WASH YOUR HANDS. At every opportunity wash up, before eating, or touching your face.

Avoid fatty fast foods eat more fruit and veggies.

Avoid too much coffee as it upsets sleeping

Thank god for laminated schematics. Resided the entire truck, ensured I had bullet proof grounds for my running lights. I actually put in '78 280z parking lights that I had because they were lovely and free of corrosion. It's a good idea to bring the schematic and fuses.

Is there anything that just goes out after continuously running? Shit that breaks and you go "that's typical datsun"? That's why I mentioned alternator because I know the guys who do the Lemons races with datsuns always seem to kill an alternator.

I would also worry shit my fierro radiator because it has plastic crimp on tanks. I have new hoses all around except for the lower radiator hose so that should be checked on. I am in the middle of trying to install a ratty heater valve. Was planning on going to the hardware store and picking up a water hose valve, run barbed fittings to it and attach it to the firewall so I can completely shut off the water to the heater. I worry that the valve may spew a leak though.

And I'm snabbing the five speed from my Z and putting it into the truck this week. The old five speed... My best guess is that since I held of on doing drive shaft ujoints, I had a vibration from 22-25mph. I suspect it walloped out my new rear seal and after dripping for a while the tranny emptied down to half a quart, of course it hit critical shit storm levels when I was 2 hours away. She got home just fine, shifts smoothly, but even after being filled I get a bearing chatter at 3500 RPM no matter what gear I am in. After you get passed 3000-3500 its gone. So, I bought a new seal, this time the $5 one and not the $1.50 one. I have done ujoints now. We shall see. Checked the flange for a groove but I don't see anything so the damn thing should seal up now. Actually, when I put in the old new seal that's now dead, I new it was a good seal because it popped out my freeze plug in the center of the flange... I hadn't jb welded it in. It's sealed now and no leaks from that at all. But anyway, you can imagine that I have a sour taste for trannies hanging on to dear life.

New route:

3129pub.jpg

I did some searching and found another thread here:

http://community.rat...hl__+road +trip

Found it extremely useful. My only hankering is that because it's a truck, all my shit is in the back. I get paranoid about people walking by and snagging shit while I'm on the john at a gas station or something. I have a big tote that I can bolt to the bed a lock however I don't really want to keep my clothes bag in with it. I'll do what I need to though!

I seem to pass all the criteria for the trip. I daily drive my truck, lots of highway miles between Keller and Arlington (about 25-30 miles) as well as out to the local race tracks where I work which are 70-80 miles out. One thing I did notice and I would like to address is the plastic tube for my oil pressure gauge. "Docbainey" mentioned his failing and he went to aeroquip. I'm unfamiliar with this but I am curious now if I can get a small fitting braided line made. The back of the gauge is a crush fitting, a common size I believe. I run a T junction at the block so I can still use my warning light sensor. Motor is coming out for tranny next week, will need to replace that plastic tube anyway so I might as well do it then!

Another thing is I am running the stock plastic fan. No clutch on it, just bolted directly to my water pump pulley. I have a 5 speed (the one where 4 and 5 are very close together ratio wise). stock '71 521 rear end and 16" wheels with 205/55's. According to my information, this 5 speed the 77-79 tranny which makes 5th gear .864 with a rear end ratio of 4.375. A bit annoying. Doing 65-70MPH that yields around 3500RPM. 33 hours of 3500RPM, do you think that will take its toll on my fan to the point of failure? I wanted to go electric but with a radio (4 speakers, nothing fancy or anything), wipers, heater, and headlights, I'm not sure if my '83 alternator from a Frontier I think it was can take it.

Lastly, if any of you fellas are along the route and are gracious enough to welcome a broken down 521 with open arms that would be very cool. I have plenty of tools that I will bring but something about someones driveway seems much better than the side of the road or a parking lot. You guys are very quick to respond on here so equipped with my phone I'm sure I can get some assistance if I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Lol

It says 19 hours to Toledo. I don't mind pulling a 24. I just really don't want to stop for a hotel when I know I'm most likely 4 hours out. Wouldn't mind stopping for a few hours at a rest stop and snoozing. The truck doesn't have a miserable 3" exhaust pipe drone like my Z does which has been notorious for making me drowsy. It will all depend on if I pack enough snacks and if I run into trouble/one of you guys to chat up a storm. :thumbup:

Thanks again guys!

Luckily my father knows some local shops that make hoses. Going to get a rubber or a braided line made for my oil pressure gauge so that is taken care of. I may not worry about the fan exploding. An electric fan may just draw too much current for my alternator if everything is on.

SD22 powered 4x4 521

Im carrying an extra SD22 alternator, fuel filters, lucas diesel additive, extra oil for everything, driveshaft seal for trans, lots of fuel, extra radiator hose, lots of hose clamps, extra datto u-joint, fuel hose, a little tub of mobil 1 racing wheel bearing grease, extra tail light bulbs

good LED flashlights over 150 Lumens and extra batteries,

harbor freight mig welder, grinder with flap discs and cutoff wheels,

Coveralls!

Box of 100 good Latex gloves, shop rags and t shirt rags

a big fillable sprayer can filled with brake parts cleaner.

lots of spare hardware.

A good pillow

And maybe a known good long tail 4 speed transmission....

Years ago, when I told my father I was planning to drive my old Corolla from Arizona to Seattle, he said, "Take your title with you." :rofl: He's a wise man.

I think you have some good advice up there. Knowing your truck and it's condition (and weaknesses) helps a lot in antitipating issues.

I drove my "project parts car" from St. Louis, MO to Long Beach, CA last summer for the J.C.C.S. and really had no issues other than loosing coolant going through DEATH VALLEY. Now I know why they call it that. Anyway, for the trip I brought a roll of duct tape, electric tape, some spare electric wire, starter, alternator, fan belt, voltage regulator, point/tune up kit and spare plugs, oil, and luckily a couple gallon jugs of water, plus a set of tools and a FLASH LIGHT.

The only issue i had on the trip was the coolant, but I felt safe having all the spare parts. I didn't wanna break down and have to wait a couple days for a starter or something. I just put everything in a weatherproof plastic tote to keep it safe and together.

SD22 powered 4x4 521

Im carrying an extra SD22 alternator, fuel filters, lucas diesel additive, extra oil for everything, driveshaft seal for trans, lots of fuel, extra radiator hose, lots of hose clamps, extra datto u-joint, fuel hose, a little tub of mobil 1 racing wheel bearing grease, extra tail light bulbs

good LED flashlights over 150 Lumens and extra batteries,

harbor freight mig welder, grinder with flap discs and cutoff wheels,

Coveralls!

Box of 100 good Latex gloves, shop rags and t shirt rags

a big fillable sprayer can filled with brake parts cleaner.

lots of spare hardware.

A good pillow

And maybe a known good long tail 4 speed transmission....

All that, huh?! Of the threads I have read, I have heard about wheel bearing failures here and there... Worries me considering the status of 521 wheel bearings but mine are in pretty good shape and greased well. I mentioned above about an alternator but I just don't have a spare on hand. I will be looking for another when I go to pick'n pull; has to be internally regulated. The one I have is a genuine Nissan so I won't worry about it too much. Autostores usually have something I can use nearby.

I really need to check to see what year Fiero my radiator is from in case if I have to order another one. I forgot what year it was or if there were any major differences other than how many rows they had. Mine has plastic crimp on tanks. Me no like. Keeps her nice and cool though!

x3yhq0.jpg

Can't forgot to bring a 3ft section of heater hose in case if my heater core starts puking. Loop the back of the head back to the water pump.

I'm also lucky enough that my father has a flatbed trailer so if I'm thoroughly stuck I suppose I can have him come save me.

Things I want to address:

-Fix leaks around windshield and doors which still exist

-Label fuse box since I rewired the truck. Most is stock/how the diagram shows but there are some differences

-Double check wheel bearings

-Replace front brake lines. I have the disk swap from Beebani and the front brake hoses for a Frontier were so long they actually were riding on the lip of the rim. They have distinct rub marks which aren't causing any problems now but because of the single line master cylinder... yah you know how that goes. They're only $8 a piece anyway

-change oil pressure gauge line

-new tranny, have a new expensive seal rear seal for it too. Make sure there are NO drips unlike the tranny I have now

-would like to add a heater valve (aka water valve from home depot) however I worry very much if it will create more problems than good

-get my center console built and install radio so I can listen to something other than wind and monster truck tires whizzing by at head level

-wrestle the mud panels off of the front turn signal/parking lights. They're stuck on there good. Those are the only bulbs I have changed out and if they're anything like the side markers, the entire housing will be corroded to the point where the bulbs will be permanently stuck

-clear tape the rear light lenses. they're cracked and I don't want vibrations rattling them off the truck. Possibly remove them completely and just use trailer lights

-try out the Sentra dizzy so I can use the one I currently have as a spare. Currently it runs well off idle but at idle there is a miss. (community.ratsun.net/topic/40030-how-to-nissan-sentra-electronic-ignition-for-your-l-series/)

-Bigger exhaust because what I have is strangling the motor

-Wilwood master cylinder. Running stock master with 4 disk brakes. Works but not well enough to lock up the wheels

-Get both rear brakes to work when parking brake on. Currently only on caliper locking, good enough to hold the car on a slight incline. Never use the parking brake anyway but still.

-solid battery mount

-solid overflow bottle mount

Already made my spare tire remover tool. Never had one. Took the stock tire iron, heated it up and made it straight. Welded a bolt inside the spare tire lowering apparatus thing and welded a nut onto the straightened tire iron. Now I have a tire iron to fit both my lug nuts and my spare tire. Good deal. Also good for beating people.

34qpsso.jpg

2rnhk6q.jpg

11wg5z9.jpg

I don't know why I am so proud of that....

16jirdx.gif

Gottah love how simple and accessible this truck is. Since I have been inside and out of I think.... yah pretty sure EVERYTHING on the truck, I know what to look for and what order to do shit in now. Learned the long, hot, and hard way out in my driveway last summer as I was putting it all together. Not something to snuff at considering my tools are very limited! Whatever you do, don't complement her. She falls apart if you say she's a good truck.