Australian goon makeover

The large welded-in bolt head is the top of the IRS rear crossmember attachment stud. The vertical triangles of the rear cage tie in here, as well as to the plates on the rear wheel wells. In the previous pic, the square tubing that goes through the wagon rear compartment floor attaches to the added bar that the diff moustache bar is mounted to.

IMG_3287-Small.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The large bolt head is the top of the rear crossmember attachment stud. The vertical triangles of the rear cage tie in here, as well as to the plates on the rear wheel wells. In the previous pic, the square tubing goes through the wagon rear compartment floor and attaches to the bar that the diff moustache bar is mounted to.

IMG_3287-Small.jpg

Cool, this is very handy thank you.

I'm off to search for the DQ article you did.

Bit more prep for the mounting points, but, more prep of the gear I need to progress.

Rear ready for stuff to be cutout to fit the crossmember.

9112eeaffffc3fd8d6735d36f1a57cca_zps4ddc

Plasma cutter bench which hasn't been cleaned up for a while!

ea95631659cc3eb00dd4925230183fc3_zpsabfa

And, ready for some carnage tomorrow!

781c329d8952c130811f5d74a14d7e9e_zpsce93

• Like 1

I dont know how hard it cant be... youre using cardboard and masking tape to install your rollcage. Cant be too hard! :rofl:

How did I miss this thread !?!? a curse on me ....

I'm going to finish reading through it soon ... some cool stuff in here Rat :cool:

I wish my workspace was as clean as yours.

Tristin, you are too fuckin funny mate. Just laughed that hard I cried (a bit).

DTP, thanks, but, I don't think this is that cool :)

My cardboard tube and masking tape roll cage, well.......................

Busy day, been spending time with my kids and my furry buddy.

4eb7bbca4ec5309223316612b43480bf_zps3be5

Hes uber cool I swear, and sleeps through anything, including grinding, hammering and heaps of other noise.

Been grinding, and plasma cutting through the rails.

6613c367c50b772a46eaf69bcd2a5353_zps9123

Grinder shell disintegrated, thankfully I had my new goggles on!

674416ef33e8ffede01e9c5dfb2c6005_zpsf7ee

Passenger side bits cut out.

19d28cb477b72364b13a1eb461d7081e_zps7175

221390110e7206aa88d2aba0354fc783_zps90eb

No oics tonight as photofucket have told me I've exceeded my free bandwidth for the month and I couldn't be fckued paying for a bandwidth upgrade (yet).

The sections of chassis and associated underfloor metal have been removed and I'm going to start working out what strengthening plates and other things I'm going to have to plate/upgrade to effectively mount the IRS.

Still need to clean up where I've wreaked havoc with the plasma cutter :)

I've dug out a set of R31 Skyline rear calipers and rotors I bought a while ago and am going to start looking at fabricating adaptor brackets to mount these. The original disc brake rear end I built for thie IRS was based on Mitsubishi Magna rotors, and the Aussie Holden Commodore VN model calipers. A bloody great brake setup, but no way of adapting what the USA calls an "E brake".

The plan with the disc brake rear is not only to be able to adapt it to have an E brake, but also to add a hydraulic brake as well!

Hopefully oics soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates, ummmm no sadly, Rats been a little slack lately. It's kids school vacation time here so hopefully I get some time in the next two weeks to do something on the goon whilst I'm looking after the rug rats.

Dual Dellortos are fundamentally the same as Webbers, Mikunis etc. I find them ok to tune, and no real problem as long as the linkages are setup correctly.

A single side draft on an L20 sounds like a good compromise between modest performance upgrade and fuel economy.

You can never! beat the sound of a side draft carburetor IMLTHO.