Australian goon makeover

Aaaarggggghhhhhhh, the fucking tar.

This little surprise awaited me when I removed the back seat and the (original) mat in the back.

It's an absolute shit of a job to get rid of, but, it's got to go !

I've owned a "lot" of Datsuns in my time, and never seen something as stupid, and laid on as thick as this.

God only knows what they were thinking.

Thankfully, so far,there have been no hidden surprises underneath (rust).

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stalled on the strut brace.

Half done (like a lot of my jobs) and now wondering whether I'll use the rotor housing brace or something else.

8853f5332a79063850a0330eef7a2540.jpg

Trying to make the goon a little more aesthetically pleasing so have spray painted (with rattle packs) the front guards.

Added one of the repro badges which I have been doing. Think it's looks pretty good IMLTHO.

09ed3b00c8c852b5798c4b037f64721a.jpg

Shit photo, but, couldn't be bothered taking another one :)

Aaaarggggghhhhhhh, the fucking tar.

This little surprise awaited me when I removed the back seat and the (original) mat in the back.

It's an absolute shit of a job to get rid of, but, it's got to go !

I've owned a "lot" of Datsuns in my time, and never seen something as stupid, and laid on as thick as this.

God only knows what they were thinking.

Thankfully, so far,there have been no hidden surprises underneath (rust).

i imagine it would smell terrible inside on a hot day.....solvent and more solvent....... or a sand blaster ....i see no pigs or there habitat in your pics....i like the tube work though

i imagine it would smell terrible inside on a hot day.....solvent and more solvent....... or a sand blaster ....i see no pigs or there habitat in your pics....i like the tube work though

Surprisingly no stink from the car unless it's from one of my bourbon farts.

Came to the same conclusion with the solvent. Its the only way I'm going to get it off the floor without making a mess of the Rest of the car.

Cage in the race car project will be similar for the goon. Goon is only getting a half cage as I really couldn't be bothered doing a full cage.

Bananahamuck, there's still a few square feet of concrete I haven't filled up in the garage. Heaps more room for other stuff yet :)

Your strut bar is awesome, I love that Datsun guys understand that there needs to be three points of contact to really work, while all the honduh guys run the cheesy ones that only go across to the struts. I'm loving your build keep it up!

Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback.

Im surprised more people don't understand how much triangulation adds to strength.

The cage for the race car which you can see hidden in some of the pics on the goon build thread makes extensive use of triangulation.

Now all indeed to do is complete the strut brace (and the triangle) by running a brace between the towers.

Spent the day recovering from a bad six pack of beer :)

Weather has gone to shit here again and motivation was pretty low.

Found a piece of billet Aluminium I forgot I had so knocked up a quick gear knob and painted the gear lever (shit photos sorry)

5e215434b00f6d9f17d76e7f5d491f47.jpg

8e249a96c4a94b20f530a4bf34258fd1.jpg

BRE stripes, or very poor facsimiles like I did today on the goon just don't exist here so, being bored, and really not up too much else, made an attempt.

be6947a134b3a333f1bf1baea0f78f56.jpg

They'll do until I respray the car which knowing my motivation will probably be this time next year.

Ffffaaaaaaaarrrrrrkkkkkk, what a Cnut of a job!

Heat gun, scraper, lots of elbow grease, just over two liters of petrol and a couple of cups of acetone later the back has gone from this.

375cac2a2cb7d4575f58411b05ae8355_zps0daab3ac.jpg

To this.

c75b60deb7817f4243fb4452ffd2e633_zps633a3bef.jpg

Thankfully there is only a little bit of surface rust (predominately on the passenger side) which will be easily treated.

The lump of tar next to the beer can is roughly 50% of what I eventually ended up removing today.

Starting on the area where the back seat used to be tomorrow.

a2899378c1b35ebf2cc69df2b8eb198e_zpsbc1834ba.jpg

Hi mate, yes I've used dry ice previously. I've found it works better on the factory sound deadening.

This shit is almost like roofing tar, slightly soft, and in some places 3/4 inch thick.

Also, there's only one place in this town that sells it (dry ice) and they charge a motza for it ! My play money account is a bit depleted this week so it's back to slow and steady hard work and stuff I have in the shed like petrol and acetone.

Gotta say I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

Trust me, if I had the coin, the car would be (sort of) full of dry ice!

I've just pulled the passenger seat out, yuk, heaps more headache !!

Good thing is, 1800 hours here and the second beer of what will probably be many tonite is going down quite well :)

Quick update.

Only 1.7 kg (roughly 3.7 lbs) of tar removed from where the back seat was.

Finally finished the glovebox. Painted the Datsun badge on it but wasn't happy with the finish so have done the whole fascia black at this stage.

Dash pad looks a little wonky so might see if I can square it up a bit (one day).

a770cd8a68bae3849706f1c6fafeb7f0_zps28157410.jpg

a2986e6d5d960662a6339aaa9db1f50a_zpsd308be58.jpg

Have I said how much I fckuing hate tar !

Thanks mate, shit job to remove this stuff as you well know.

Yeah mate, it is a SHIT job. As soon as I get my quarter panels closer to completion, I need to start working on that sound deadening crap on the floors, too. ugghhhhh...

Your floors are looking good, though. Nice job!

Quick update.

Only 1.7 kg (roughly 3.7 lbs) of tar removed from where the back seat was.

Finally finished the glovebox. Painted the Datsun badge on it but wasn't happy with the finish so have done the whole fascia black at this stage.

Dash pad looks a little wonky so might see if I can square it up a bit (one day).

a770cd8a68bae3849706f1c6fafeb7f0_zps28157410.jpg

a2986e6d5d960662a6339aaa9db1f50a_zpsd308be58.jpg

Have I said how much I fckuing hate tar !

dude the floor looks awesome ...man i woulda gave up ...u are the man.....wait....wtf, the view through the drivers door, in the second pic.....where did you steering wheel go......fuck im jealous.....lol......dibs onyour couch if i can find air fair for under three hundered bux...

Your floors are looking good, though. Nice job!

Thanks.

I'm thinking I'll do the floor in POR15 with a Matt black top coat.

Jrock, you have no idea how many times I've said "fuck this" I'll do something else. The floors starting to look better, although it's making the rest of the interior look bad by comparison.

Replacing the steering column and handbrake release with painted ones I have today. Also going to give the heater box a quick paint.

Want to start on the roll cage this week but need to make sure any mounting points won't impede the IRS setup when I eventually end up fabbing it.

Jrock, you and Tristan need to save your pennies and come for a trip to the correct side of Australia. The East coast is the place to be !

Perhaps when he makes his first million from his secret business idea he'll sponsor a trip over here for the pair of you.

Jrock, you and Tristan need to save your pennies and come for a trip to the correct side of Australia. The East coast is the place to be !

Perhaps when he makes his first million from his secret business idea he'll sponsor a trip over here for the pair of you.

Haha don't let the car out of the bag. I'd love to come back over there, especially since I was told to check out the East Coast after seeing the West.

Australia was so cool. Plus you guys are still super into Dattos over there so it would be nice to see how you guys do it up over there (down there?).