1969 Datsun Bluebird Coupe SR20 Build

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so a little more in depth on the back story. The car is a 1969 datsun bluebird 1600 sss and some supersonic badges came with it but its unclear at the moment if its a true s/s. The car was originally beige or tan and at some point in japan its was painted a royal blue and that's when I'm assuming it really started to rust/ sit. She is obviously white now but whom ever painted it that color did all kinds of questionable things like loads of fiberglass to cover up the rust and tons, i mean tons of bondo. Aside from the absolutely terrible rust repairs and welds she is quite solid. She seems to be a late 69 transition car as she has a later 70+ dash and interior but still retained some 69 suspension components and oddities as any 68-69 510 owner knows very well. I've had her for the last year or so sitting dormant and filling up with parts from japan and Australia but now she's in the workshop and under going the initial cancer reduction as well as an SR swap because as mentioned before the previous owner ditched the original power train, which in my opinion was not the smartest move. I understand where they were going but I would have kept it and put it in a crate preserved and intended to be kept with the car as long as she may live. I mean it was the numbers matching engine all original and untouched sitting in japan somewhere for atleast 25-30years if I had to guess. The chasis only has about 100k in miles and the floor pan/ underside frame rails if you want to call them that are completely rust free, the trouble zones are the typical quarter panel blow outs (probably from a bad trunk seal), there is visible rocker rust on both sides, the wheel wells have been flared but done very badly, front valence came of with just a pull it was so rusty, front fascia was really bad along with the lower core support which at some point had about 20lbs of random steel welded to it, firewall had some rust, and the rear left quarter on top by the trunk is done...meaning you can look into the trunk through the quarter panel. Anyways guys I look forward to keeping you posted but I'm signing out for the night and I'll have to create a photo account so I can get the much needed photos uploaded to really give you guys the full scope of her condition.

0826142128_zpszmuqithr.jpg0826142128a_zpsbiomnv6l.jpg0826142128b_zpsp7y1z95b.jpg

A little interim project, I got lucky and alot of the needed/ hard to find parts were in the trunk and scattered around the cabin. Including the awesome wood SSS wheel that I restored and grained the center for a little different look, I know its not correct but I like it much better then the black spokes. To each his own you know

IMG_1186_zpstywbuusw.jpgIMG_1187_zpstbmkxx37.jpgIMG_1188_zpsqwjtmdqz.jpgIMG_1189_zpsc28zbrao.jpgIMG_1190_zpsal2d0g1p.jpgIMG_1191_zpsbdcxkuz4.jpg

I started the first repair so I could actually latch the door. The door was set incorrectly and they had pre tensioned the door to much which lead to this failure. But all good know and shuts like a champ. I also switched out the reg. as the window felt like I needed a cheater bar to roll it up lol. The guys in japan did some extremely ghetto repairs to her and the door latch didn't work because the had the mech. spring all stretched out and wound up. It was like a clock that was wound to tight.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the delay guys, I've been moving and now that I'm settled I can start to pick up on this thread where I left off. To answer your question randy it started it's life as a p510 which as we all know designates the 1600 l series. Little did we all know that this bird is Alot rustier then she appears as she has suffered much sub standard work and shotty craftsmanship. I will get more pics up soon to cover the surgery and I've almost cut the car down to the roof to eradicate the rust. I'm saving this car despite what the rust thinks. Like I said I eat rust for breakfast.

• Like 1

ok so an update...at the old house I accessed the damage of the front fascia and came to the conclusion that the front end was far beyond saving as far as time goes, half the the battle is realizing when rust has won the battle but not the war. I decided vs. nickel and dimeing the rust I would just dump the lot and solve the greater picture

I continued to de-spot weld the front and found that the lower core support was very rusted and fixed as if it was in shipyard with 1/8" plate steel. rather then fixing the problem in japan they just plated over and encapsulated the problem vs. just doing it right. That lower core support literally weighed 10lbs., I showed some friends and they were laughing on how over kill and ridiculous the repair was.