1969 Datsun Bluebird Coupe SR20 Build

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a 12 gallon fuel cell with a 255 external walbro pump. Mine has the foam in it to help with the sloshing. I have heard horror story's of people with SR's that are driving hard and the fuel level is low so when they make a turn the fuel pump sucks up a little air so that the motor runs extremely lean and SR's don't like to be lean at all. But no one I know has ever had a problem with that so if anyone cares to chime in please do.

And I know some guys that add a serge tank to ensure you always have fuel on demand.

Anyone have a good solution for the gas tank

If it's within your budget, just go with a cell. With a good external pump and a decent FPR you'll never have to worry about whether your pressure's good, or whether your pump is up to the task. I had intentions of running the factory tank initially with my build as well, but the thing turned in to a race car - and I'm thankful for it, haha. Just my two cents.

This is lookin' to be something awesome. Keep it up!

If it's within your budget, just go with a cell. With a good external pump and a decent FPR you'll never have to worry about whether your pressure's good, or whether your pump is up to the task. I had intentions of running the factory tank initially with my build as well, but the thing turned in to a race car - and I'm thankful for it, haha. Just my two cents.

This is lookin' to be something awesome. Keep it up!

Thanks and ya that's what I'll probably do I want to use the trunk too so I might try finding a fuel cell that will fit in the stock location

You remove the brake booster and replace it with the master cylinder. You only need one :)

P.S. the fuel cell idea is a good one. I am having fuel issues trying to fuel my CA18det with a walbro fuel pump. The hole is not big enough, as stated by someone up above. Picking up a fuel cell today. Have you looked on Summit Racing? I know its more of a domestic website but they have tons of options and i'm sure you could find something relatively inexpensive that will fix the stock location.

If you're using Troy Ermish's brake kit you don't need the brake booster anymore. It comes with a dual 7/8 master cylinder. I don't have enough knowledge about the coupe to be able to tell you if you'll need to put a bracket or plate over the hole depending on the size and drill new holes for the mounting point though... i'm sure someone else with more knowledge on your car will chime in though.

If you're doing your brake lines (the Troy Ermish kit requires you to change some stuff around) it might be important for you to know that it's 3/16 line with american thread not metric (at least on mine). My brake proportion valve was metric though. Pepboy's and autozone sell pre-measured lengths of each so you can bring a line and try to match the threads if you need to. Hope that helps you if you end up redoing brake lines

:)

• 3 weeks later...