dirty-mik3's ridiculously low 521

so, i got the rims (FREE) got them powder coated at schwabs (about 120 bucks i think) and i threw on some falken 195/50/15's for rubber. i re-indexed the torsion bars, tweaked around the shocks and did a little shit here and there in the front; and this is how it sits now. god do i love it. in the rear i threw the main overload spring on TOP of the stack of leafs, which stiffened the rear and also forces the leafs to flatten out a bit, it gave me probably another inch in the back?

tumblr_m58ho8JfcC1rstjbwo1_500.jpg

also, i rolled the fenders to allow clearance at all times, and with the tire stretch+ fender roll, everything runs smoothly. :thumbup:

tumblr_m58hsb7RJK1rstjbwo1_500.jpg

i have plans for some vw eyelids and yellow high beams. hoping to kind of give it that German look.

tumblr_m58hy2gbhN1rstjbwo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m58ibu61D61rstjbwo1_500.jpg

comparison between my fathers 521 and mine.

tumblr_m58ioxh1Vw1rstjbwo1_500.jpg

also picked up another hood for that rustic look; and a mirror, since i don't currently have any on it. :hmm:

tumblr_m58iusEWEX1rstjbwo1_500.jpg

Overall, i LOVE the way this thing is turning out, even with all the carb trouble im having, i gave up on both webers after they both idled oddly and i dont know squat about tuning them and neither does my father, so i just threw the old hitachi back on with a rebuilt accelerator pump and all is well! the only major issue as of right now it my lack of an exhaust. does anyone have a spare downpipe that they would be willing to sell fairly cheaply? mines gone to the crapper and theres no hopes of repairing it, and the muffler shop near me wants 60 bucks to make a new one.. <_< so if not i can get that but id like to have everything stay pretty stock... so yeah :lol: that is it for now! still waiting on the cam, and need to sort out some electrical issues, but it runs!

• Like 2
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All i gotta say is......faaaaaaack you with all due respects haha i know i dont know you just sayin that since in my head and if you were here i would say it anyways haha.....that over with.

Love the truck hopefully i set my rims on tommorow if i sell my current wheels.

I have the same wheels btw.

But thankyou for for showing me your tires in time before i made a mistake.

I was guna go 195-55-15 but now im going with your numbers i like the strech more.

Just one question though....was it a big roll up front for no rub?

All i gotta say is......faaaaaaack you with all due respects haha i know i dont know you just sayin that since in my head and if you were here i would say it anyways haha.....that over with.

Love the truck hopefully i set my rims on tommorow if i sell my current wheels.

I have the same wheels btw.

But thankyou for for showing me your tires in time before i made a mistake.

I was guna go 195-55-15 but now im going with your numbers i like the strech more.

Just one question though....was it a big roll up front for no rub?

THANKS! :thumbup:

rolling the fenders was pretty easy actually, and i didnt have to roll them too intensly; all in all it took less then a half an hour, hahaha

in my opinion i would go with the 55's if i were you, the 50's only really look correct if the truck is completely laid out on the ground, when my truck was your hight it just kinda looked silly, but idk, maybe yours will look better than mine did?

your making me wanna get a set of rallys. i didnt see you at canby man!

hahaha :D DO IT! and uhh.... yes you did.... :lol: i walked up to you but you were talking to someone, you were in the back chillin with laecaon (i believe) next to your truck, with the bike in it. i wasnt there for very long or i would have came back and said hey! but i had a date with the girlfriend all planned out and had to get back to battleground. haha. your truck looks rad in person by the way. im really diggin it.

UPDATE: okay. so. you know how i said it was idling oddly? yeah, get this: two rockers were completely thrown off the valve springs and just sitting aside. both were on intake ports, and it was on the 1st and 4th cylinder. NO WONDER IT WAS RUNNING WEIRD. hahahhaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i was super scared at first as to why this might have happened, but i rotated the cam, re-set them and did a clearance check and all seemed fine. so i fired her up; sounded WAY better. hahah it solved a vibration issue i was having, and is actually quieter a bit quieter, also, starts up with about 1/8th of the effort it used to take. lmfao.

so i revved her up, gave her some gas, let her run for a while, and then took the valve cover back off, and guess what...

the damned things were still in place?! i have no idea what happened. im thinking maybe a bad valve spring? like since it was sitting 20 something years the spring probably got compressed quite a bit, im not really sure, any ideas as to what might have happened?

ANYWAYS, i still dont have a downpipe, BUT i did however paint and sand a valve cover i had off my other l16 :thumbup: (how i discovered this whole issue)

so hey, im still getting stuff done, right?

182796_2926159212492_626033889_n.jpg

sorry for low quality copy/paste from facebook picture, haha i didnt have my dslr handy when i was working, so cell oics will have to do.

Every now an then a rocker may pop off or lash pad falls out.

soemtimes good to ck the rocker arm specs. I set mine to .006in .008 exh.

most to .008/.010.

just run it and do a oil chainge. should be Ok.

alright mine are at .008 right now, but the oils ridiculously clean haha. but .006 would be alright? what exactly causes it to do this? :confused:

Details on that black paint please. Nice job.

hahaha its cast coat colored engine enamel, i hit it with some flat black engine enamel for about 2 coats, sanded it smooth, then did like 3-4 of the cast coat. then i hit it with clear coat for that shineeee :thumbup: hahahha and if you want the sanded letters all i did was cover everything up with masking tape that i wanted to stay gray and went to town with some 300 something grit sand paper and then some 400 to clean it up.. it was superrrrrr easy.

Only do closer if you think its too noisey or think it might fall out again.

Sometimes people put a Regrind cam in and use the stock retainers and use a thicker after market lash pad to make up the cam being cut on the back side to make up the difference. However when 1 does this a majority of the lah pad will be above the retainer and is not supported and caould fall out. This is ez to tell. If lashpad is flush its pretty much stock set up. if lash id above retainer then you know its a aftermarket set up in there.

Someitme its just happens that a pad falls out. Mine did this maybe 2 years ago. I just put it back in , dialed dit back up to spec. never happend again.

Also if a rocker arms is getting tight where yu have to loosen the jam post and dial it down to get more vale lash then the valve seat is sinking. Once you got it dailed all the way down, pretty much need to get another head or put new modern iron seats in as the old lseries head has broze or soemthing softer back in the day. Sysmtom is one cylinder seems like its not firing.nO COMPRESSION

hahaha :D DO IT! and uhh.... yes you did.... :lol: i walked up to you but you were talking to someone, you were in the back chillin with laecaon (i believe) next to your truck, with the bike in it. i wasnt there for very long or i would have came back and said hey! but i had a date with the girlfriend all planned out and had to get back to battleground. haha. your truck looks rad in person by the way. im really diggin it.

i really like my stock wheels tho, i would get them only so when i got bored of my stock wheels i could throw them on there for awhile. oh shoot haha ya that was me. ya i had a date with my girlfriend too, to come to canby! and she didnt show up :( whatever tho haha. thanks man (: i cant wait to see yours sometime!

• 3 weeks later...

so i havent updated in a while since not too much has been happening with the truck, i got some 5 inch blocks in the back, and some other very minor things done, but decided to throw up a picture because i haven't in a while, this is pretty much its final stance :)tumblr_m6kqgxK6ga1rstjbwo1_1280.jpg

• Like 4