Bagged and Boosted 71 4dr 510

this builds been pretty dead lately... i do got a lil news tho! hopefully picking up a complete motor saturday, get that in there and running good again becuase this 8mpg v8 thing is not workin for me! (even though it is very fun to drive) im going to keep it na, keep it reliable, stop worrying about motors for awhile and fix some body damage, thats my plan at least. and i have a swap thats in the works for this summer. i wanna say it hasnt been done... but im not sayin what quite yet :)

Also... despite what most people here will say and think, my plans at this point in time are to find a nice set of 15x9 and 15x8s.....jrock... if you still want some drags i might have some for sale here in a few months ;)

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this builds been pretty dead lately... i do got a lil news tho! hopefully picking up a complete motor saturday, get that in there and running good again becuase this 8mpg v8 thing is not workin for me! (even though it is very fun to drive) im going to keep it na, keep it reliable, stop worrying about motors for awhile and fix some body damage, thats my plan at least. and i have a swap thats in the works for this summer. i wanna say it hasnt been done... but im not sayin what quite yet :)

Also... despite what most people here will say and think, my plans at this point in time are to find a nice set of 15x9 and 15x8s.....jrock... if you still want some drags i might have some for sale here in a few months ;)

I'm closer.....

:D

I'm closer.....

I'm closer.....

Picked up another l20b lastnight. spent a little time cleaning it up today and taking it apart, unfortuenatly i wont be able to pull my motor and put it in for a few days becuase my dad has a few boats in the shop that cant get wet until there done.

Supposedly the motor is all origanal out of a 1980 truck with 80k on it... i find it hard to believe but i guess ill take his word for it!

Ive also been slowly piecing together an interior for the bmw, and did my first ever rollcage work on a jeep

IMG_20121221_123213_zps6048fcd7.jpg

IMG_20121213_203420_zps6793bce2.jpg

IMG_20121230_105039_zps4501a912.jpg

IMG_20121230_105056_zpse5194ef9.jpg

IMG_20121230_105106_zpse060c740.jpg

IMG_20121230_133611_zps29a861a2.jpg

IMG_20121230_164325_zps091d9b55.jpg

IMG_20121230_164336_zps291d5df2.jpg

IMG_20121230_164348_zps9e2641c8.jpg

finally got this motor the rest of the way in... took me three days instead one! its werid... its so quiet with a full exhaust and no turbo... but it seems to be running good (from my test drive around the block).. now the qeustion is what do i focus my time energy and money on? im done messing with motors for awhile, thinking about a bushing kit, possibly some rust repair? new wheels are in my plans of things to accomplish.. if i start rust/body panel work, i want to redo my hole trunk area, build a different tire well tht will fit my battery, air tank, compresser and valves... so many options, i think im gunna make a list.

edit, a lot of my money is going to start going towards the z as well, i started work on that again, who knows meybe someday itll be driveable again!

i guess working on motors isnt quite over yet....

Someone help! im at a loss

So i picked up this motor a couple weeks ago, took all the stock stuff off it, put my stuff on (external parts), when i swapped the oil pan the bottem end looked healthy and clean. Yesterday i got it in and running sounded pretty good, did some carb tweaking and timing adjustments, took it around the block no problems.

This morning i took it to class (15 miles away) when i got off the freeway i started hearing this squeking when i was at an idle and stoppedd, i figured it was most likely my exhaust rubbing on something at lower rpms. parked it, went to my classes, came back out and started driving home. the noise didnt come back until it was warmed up quite a bit. when i got home i started poking around tyring to figure it out, as soon as i opened the hood i knew it wasnt the exhuast anymore, its something around the back of the head.

Theres a small exhaust leak still, i took the valve cover off, did a quick adjust on the valves, and everything looked fine, re torqued the head, and ran it again, still there. if i retard the timing all the way down you cant hear it anymore... No oil back there? i dunno... im at a loss.

At this point (after the video) i wont run it anymore til i figure out what it is.

http://s1257.beta.ph...442267103363702

• 3 weeks later...
been awhile everything ok .,....maybe your distracted frying tires in the 318i

haha yeah, just been drivin it n/a as a daily and trying to take care of the little shit little by little, nothing really major, worth posting about, stuff like a working stereo, my door latch that only closed half the time, rattles everywhere, its amazing how much i heard that annoyed the shit out of me without the open downpipe, lots of little tideous things.

i had the e30 out at the track the other weekend, it didnt go very good lol, by the 3rd run i had already snapped an axle, so that was short lived, i put a whole new rearend in it, as well as a new tranny, getting it ready for the next open event so i can try again!

And like i said awhile back, ive been putting some time into the Z lately, slow goin that thing is, im trying to get a better daily, so i can do some major work to the 510, but fer now shes my driver!

so why did you pull the boosted motor for  a stock l20?

i didnt do the head when i rebuilt the l20, i could have gotten away with just rebuilding the head, but i decided to go reliable, stop dicking with the motor and fix other things for awhile

• 4 weeks later...