carbon fiber fenders

dimedude

So I have been talking to a carbonfiber guy about making some oem style fenders (non-flared ) he currently makes 510 fenders but only in a flared version his price would be $420 for a set also taking to him about making a hatch for a wagon as well that would be $480 his work is high quality my buddy has a hood from him for his fd rx7 and it looks great and has held up really good with no problems he wants 10 people interested before he starts so let me know

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's going to have an excruciatingly hard time selling them for that price. Datsun people are cheap. It may sound cool an all, but the reality is that very few people will pony up that kind of money.

If you/he does do it, get deposits FIRST, don't go by people just saying they'd want them, because 90% of them will back out.

You mean a stock 510 fender in CF? FutoFab already makes them. Not cheap at $440/each, but constructed with the process we use, they will not be.

FutoFab's CF parts use 100% CF fabric, no fiberglass filler layers or glossy gelcoat. They are vacuum bagged to create the lightest possible weighing stock fender we could, only 3# each.

Link to web page: FutoFab's 100% CF Stock Fenders

cf%20front%20fender-stock%20web%20ready.jpg

• Like 1

So I probably should have said this in my original post but oh well I contacted this carbon fiber guy for two reasons the first being I personally like the look of carbon fiber and his prices were cheaper than others reason two and probably the more important reason is that parts for 510 are becoming harder and harder to find and I figured it would be nice to have another company making body parts at a reasonable price that being said here are some more pictures of what they are currently making for 510's this is to show the quality of the companies work still trying to get 10 people interested in non flared fenders and wagon hatches

Datsun_510_Garnish_lib_005.jpg

SANY0345.jpg

Datsun_510_Garnish_lib_002.jpg

Datsun_Trunk.jpg

Dantsun_Joel_004.jpg

HPIM0016.jpg

HPIM0002.jpg

10-008-1.jpg

Damn they look great.

best is to have him post his stuff on his WEBSITE and not go thru Rumers of Im gonna make them ect.

have it on the website with photos and a price and if in STOCK(not I have to make them in 2 months type of deal)

they look greayt and price be honest is good.

Love the hood. but key on this one is the reinforcements so the high doesn BOW up at High speed and is it a bolt in useing the stock hoodlatch and the threaded holes to mount the hood.

Otherwise no deal.

So he must have a car to mock this stuff up.

love the airdam also. I got that style myself but carbon fiber not needed on them as most people will paint match the dam to the car( I hate black airdams and car id another color) On the spooks it seems OK

You mean a stock 510 fender in CF? FutoFab already makes them. Not cheap at $440/each, but constructed with the process we use, they will not be.

FutoFab's CF parts use 100% CF fabric, no fiberglass filler layers or glossy gelcoat. They are vacuum bagged to create the lightest possible weighing stock fender we could, only 3# each.

Link to web page: FutoFab's 100% CF Stock Fenders

cf%20front%20fender-stock%20web%20ready.jpg

How crappy is that for a company to thread jack anothers just to show off they make the same product? Sorry but that is real bad taste.

• Like 2

How crappy is that for a company to thread jack anothers just to show off they make the same product? Sorry but that is real bad taste.

I agree but what are you going to do, its nice to have a comparison between different qualities of work anyways good news the non flared fenders are a go he is going to start with the molds next week

Dave brought up good points to consider (which dimedude hasn't addressed one way or the other regarding the parts he is sourcing from this other guy). Besides, this isn't a for-sale thread, nor is dimedude even the guy making or selling the products. It is more of an interest thread and Dave simply is plugging another option (albeit his own parts). It would be nice to know who this other guy is that dimedude is referring, and the parts shown do look to have a crazy thick gel coat

• Like 1

Dave brought up good points to consider (which dimedude hasn't addressed one way or the other regarding the parts he is sourcing from this other guy). Besides, this isn't a for-sale thread, nor is dimedude even the guy making or selling the products. It is more of an interest thread and Dave simply is plugging another option (albeit his own parts). It would be nice to know who this other guy is that dimedude is referring, and the parts shown do look to have a crazy thick gel coat

Not sure what points I have not addressed let me know and ill try to answer them the best I can and your right I'm not selling these I'm just trying to get cheaper parts made and won't make any money off this what so ever and as fare as this "other" carbon fiber guy its actually a carbon fiber company in LA not one person they make a boat load of cf parts for other cars but not much for the 510 so what I'm trying to do is have this company make more parts for the 510 that's all.