NL320

thor

Well finally starting on this truck I picked up almost 4 years ago now.

The day I brought it home

cid_sMr9zRXGJ4.jpg

Once I got it fired up and moving under its own power though it still had no brakes haha

th_MVI_2843.jpg

Just recently getting it to the garage

239ba9b2.jpg

Picked up a new power plant for it...CA18DET from an 89 Silvia

232c84c2.jpg

Looks right at home!

e25be88d.jpg

Body off

b6e80fc3.jpg

Frame almost stripped

6218e685.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep with some mods I should be able to run a rad and intercooler up front. But that's the least of my worries at this point haha

Also if anyone is in the market for a 320 motor/trans, wiring harness, steering setup, rear suspension and front suspension let me know. If I can make a few bucks and help someone out then I would like to otherwise the stuff is going to scrap metal.

What do you plan on doing to fix the rear wheel well rust?

I have the same issue.

nl9.jpg

Wayno:

What is that? Fiberglass? I'm viewing from a phone so ,small pictures.

First the body man dug all the bondo out of the holes which it was over an inch thick, then he welded in some replacement metal, then he finished with bondo/hair, fiberglass re-enforced bondo.

I missed most of it, as the artist had his own hours.

No but what are you interested in?

I am interested in how many inches from the front of the fan blades to the radiator core support, I am always looking for a better engine for the L320s I have, I just don't want to hack the firewall.

I know the A15 will fit, it's a very compact engine, and I have done that conversion before, but a CA18DET will kick that engines ass, but I have never had the chance to measure a CA18DET from the back of the engine to the front of the fan blades.

I already have a drivetrain for the next 320 project, but one can always change there plans if something better comes up.

Well currently there would only be a half inch between the ca18 water pump and the factory rad. But I have to modify the firewall anyway so I'll move the motor back anyway and I'm changing the rad to a thinner but larger rad to help for clearance for the intercooler and elec fans

Here's another pic of it roughly in place.

65850bd1.jpg

Heres a crappy pic from underneath but you can see it clears the steering and sway bar. However it will need a top mount turbo as the stock location sits right where the steering column is. So I had it removed for this pic.

ba1b2fb8.jpg

But I'm swapping to a manual rack from an MGB as its close to the same width, parts are available for it and best of all it was free haha

I can't see much in that photo underneath, but it looks like you dropped the centerlink, so the oilpan goes right threw that spot, otherwise everything looks good as far as I can tell from the photo.

Your planning to use a MGB rack, I would like to see how you do that, as I have a MGB rack also that I saved from the scrap metal yard, along with the 1600 engine and tranny.

I dropped the centerlink because to remove the steering column you have disassemble the steering box and remove the pitman arm. But it would have cleared. Also I'm dropping the motor as far as I can because of the body drop I have to keep it under the hood.

96df3729.jpg