mrbigtankers 521

mrbigtanker

You actually did the rears, but it sounds like your going to redo them also.  :thumbup:

As I said, that looks better than any other extention I have seen so far, including mine on the 520, although mine looks good also, just not as refined.

DSCN3452.JPG

I like how you did the top of the bed,that's what my guy was just telling me to do, along with a few other things..

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You actually did the rears, but it sounds like your going to redo them also.  :thumbup:

As I said, that looks better than any other extention I have seen so far, including mine on the 520, although mine looks good also, just not as refined.

DSCN3452.JPG

I forgot about this little beauty!

I am going to tell you right now, that was a lot of work to remove them rails and reverse them, they are still there, but the hooks are on the inside now.

It took two boxes to make that box, but I didn't have a metal guy to make the top extension with the correct curve, so like the bottom rocker is from another truck, the top extension is from another box, it was a whole lot of tack welds, I also boxed it in to give the whole thing strength and help it hold its shape, as I connected it to the cab.

Check out the tailgate.

DSCN2134.JPG

Here is the inside of the box with the double wall, it's the best photo I have, can't figure out why I don't have a better one? :(

DSCN1213.JPG

This photo below tells a lot, you can see the hooks, where I drilled out all the spot welds from when I took it apart, and the cutouts that were for the hooks pointed down instead of up, this was a box side, so I guess it took me parts from 3 boxes to actually make this box and tailgate.

DSCN1176.JPG

I like how you did the top of the bed,that's what my guy was just telling me to do, along with a few other things..

• Like 1

That door handle in the tailgate was a pain, even though the lines look the same(side lines/back lines), they are not the same, I will have to re-do that area if I want it to look right, it looks good from a distance, but the curves are not the same, they just look the same.

Is that a door handle for the tail gate latch which looks good.. It takes some getting used to but it looks natural to me.

And I will have a side shot up for you tonight to see..

I just got threw reading all my posts in this thread about my 520, I guess it was a lot of work as I keep saying it was a pain, but once I got it all welded up and stood back, I thought it was worth it, even if it was a pain, oh by the way, did I mention that doing all the bodywork trying to hide all my welding was a pain in the ass. rofl.gif

• Like 3

Hey, I don't blame you, I won't do it again, it was one of those things I thought would look good, so I did it, but after I was committed I realized how much work it was going to be, I decided before I was even done with it that I would never do it again.

I also believe that unless you connect the box to the cab it might not look right, there are not that many trucks out there with rounded body lines that the box is separate, and the boxes all have that rail in some form.

Thanks guys yes the rear will be done as fast as it possible can, and the bed hooks are going south for the winter.

Wayno I started thinking about leaving the top of the bed alone but just cleaning it up with the bed hooks a new custom bed cover and delete the tail gate handles also all together..

• Like 1