510 out cornered by vw! how do i fix this calamity?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut out the bump stops?

Really, unless you are drifting, or really like making tight parking lot turns, I dont see a point. My 510 is already the tightest turning car I have ever driven. Turns tighter circles than a VW rabbit (1979)

Ok so I am going to bring this back from the dead as I have been doing my own research on this topic and should have just come here and find it all in one feel swoop - you guys know so much its scary lol

So my 510 has 430k miles on it - maybe the stock steering box, its loose to say the least, feels like driving a second gen cummins.

I want to replace/upgrade it so I am looking for a 210 or 610 box I suppose. From what was said earlier will I gain any more actually steering angle on the tires when they are turned on either of there boxes or is that as I suspect from the suspension geometry itself.

Most 510 owners get the box from a latter '79-'81 HL510. As far as I'm concerned the 610/710/S10 and S110 boxes look close enough too.

A longer pitman arm makes for a faster more responsive turn of the wheel, but it comes at the price of more effort. A longer arm would also turn the tires further but likely there are stops to prevent this anyway. The 620 has a steering ratio of 19.8 to one because of the heavier loads carried. In comparison the 610's ratio is 16.48 to one. I have no idea what the original 510's was

A longer arm would also turn the tires further but likely there are stops to prevent this

Correct. The longer arm won't turn "more angle" because even the stock box and stock arm can turn the angle to the full.

The common 210 box is 15:1. Turns faster, requires more effort, and won't turn angle any further than the stock box.

MR2 rack

how difficult is that. I like the idea of a rack. I searched but didnt see anything about it. It makes sense bc of size.

Most 510 owners get the box from a latter '79-'81 HL510. As far as I'm concerned the 610/710/S10 and S110 boxes look close enough too.

A longer pitman arm makes for a faster more responsive turn of the wheel, but it comes at the price of more effort. A longer arm would also turn the tires further but likely there are stops to prevent this anyway. The 620 has a steering ratio of 19.8 to one because of the heavier loads carried. In comparison the 610's ratio is 16.48 to one. I have no idea what the original 510's was

wow that is a higher ratio huh. i found a few when I called around I might jump on. My two concerns are that right now it feels like I am driving a car steering by rope lol and that it would be nice to have a better feel, ratio and more angle/lock/what have you if I upgrade it.

Really, unless you are drifting, or really like making tight parking lot turns, I dont see a point. My 510 is already the tightest turning car I have ever driven. Turns tighter circles than a VW rabbit (1979)

I do use the car to slide around and as short as the wheel base is it comes around quickly. I dont think my turns that tight for a little car. It would be nice to be able to turn the wheel more, like my old volvos and bmws...

One test I have of all of my cars is to be able to turn around in a residential street.

My 4 cars I have owned :89 300se, 93 Thunderturd, 01 Jetta, And my wagon. The wagon has the best turning radius of those 4, followed surprisingly by the 300se, then the Jetta, and finally the Thunderturd.

VWs are a hard ticket to beat on the twisties. My Scirocco is a pretty well built 8v and it makes turns look like straightaways.

Keep in mind, when hitting turns with equal HP, front wheel drives typically outperform rear wheel drives because the wheels are pulling the car, not pushing it. Where it gets pulled to, is where it goes. Pushing results in back end drifts, etc if not driven properly.

yeah my engine turns real sharp (cummins make engines, not cars)

Rear wheel drives typically outperform front wheel drives primarily because the weight balance. Even a 510 is far better balanced than most FWD cars.

There are also other advanges. Ferrari, BMW and virtually all performance brands use RWD.

My mk4 jetta has oversteer... Back end loves to kick out for some reason.

some typical reasons:

tires

weight ratio

hot-icy roads

camber / toe

full cooler of beer on front seat and not in hatch

suspension setup

cops doing the spin maneuver

its a MK4

:angel:

wow a scirroco,that is nice what year 1977 or 78

1978 Champaign II Edition, only came in White with with sport stripes you see in pic. Even more rare, only MK1 "white cat" car, the emblems are on a white background verses the typical black.

MK3 2.0 bottom, Eurospec 8V head, Shrick custom 272 cam with 5 speed FN trans. Picked up not too long ago, original PO did the work. In the process of changing it around to make it my own. Also have a 77 Golf that I've been working on for ever. That's a secret motor setup for now.

I remember when i thought setup and mods equaled performance. Then, at the last shasta event, i got my ass handed to me by a STOCK 510 on good tires. Not to mention, this 510 had moss growing on it... Dude knew how to drive....

I have also rode along with some friends on Thunderhill. 190HP KA24E/twm induction. Built by rebello in a VERY sorted 510. Add a great driver, and we were routinely passing cars with over 200 more HP.

Skills bro.

three.jpg

Thats a triple crown right there, Scirocco, AE86, 510. But to be honest, my MK1 Scirocco would likely eat this MK2 Scirocco for lunch. Its factory height, factory wheels and not exactly the most ferocious looking, but that's all assumed from one picture. Might have a 1.8T under the hood for all I know.

But if we want to do generation engine swaps like so many Datto owners do, then there is trouble for the rising sun for sure, quick search reveals:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQOY8HMsREI <<<---Holy Shit!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHiruuQyibA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArkPBVmQq9U

It all depends on setup and more importantly skills.