Dropped 620 sitting on bumpstops

chebetio510

So i got a set of titan wheels.. wrapped them with 245/45/18's

And lowered it to this height in front and 3" blocks in back.. i looked under truck today to see the bumpstop and its already toucjing the control arm.. not sure what to do.. i like the stance wouldnt mind going another inch lower.. ride is stiff. and hard bumps. hurt like hell.. lol wondering if i trim off some off the bump stop will it help the ride? or the going over bumps..

DSC01749.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

So i got a set of titan wheels.. wrapped them with 245/45/18's

And lowered it to this height in front and 3" blocks in back.. i looked under truck today to see the bumpstop and its already toucjing the control arm.. not sure what to do.. i like the stance wouldnt mind going another inch lower.. ride is stiff. and hard bumps. hurt like hell.. lol wondering if i trim off some off the bump stop will it help the ride? or the going over bumps..

DSC01749.jpg

Re index the torsion bars remove bump stops (cut them off) extend the front shock mounts(cut and weld for more travel) and upgrade to aftermarket shocks KYBs or tokico blues........

Right now your tires are your suspension and there isn't any travel for the shocks to absorb. Indeed your shocks might be fully closed and solidly bottomed out!. This is a better way to do it....

the correct way I think is coilovers or convert it to ball joints and use drop spindles so you dont have to crank the torsion bars down and lose spring rate.

You need to get the lower control arm down away from the bump stop so there is some arm movement for the shock to absorb. Right now as soon as the tire begins to move up it jams the LCA against the already squashed bump stop and the ride is harsh. Drop spindles lower the arm position

the correct way I think is coilovers or convert it to ball joints and use drop spindles so you dont have to crank the torsion bars down and lose spring rate.

How do you lose spring rate? The springs are still the same and if you re-index you still have the same leverage on the spring.

What you lose is shock travel. If you use drop spindles or lengthen the towers you get that back.

I drove my 74 on the bumpstops for a long time, with 215/35/18 tires. It was a little ruff, but for the most part was tolerable. I took it on a 600 mile trip, on the outskirts of chicago, i hit a dip and i went airborn at 70mph. I got to watch my full can of red bull flip in mid air a few times before I regained control of it.

• Like 3

I drove my 74 on the bumpstops for a long time, with 215/35/18 tires. It was a little ruff, but for the most part was tolerable. I took it on a 600 mile trip, on the outskirts of chicago, i hit a dip and i went airborn at 70mph. I got to watch my full can of red bull flip in mid air a few times before I regained control of it.

LMAO on the freeway i go airborn.. lol but the steering wheel brings me back down haha

Why would you worry about the bumpstops!??? Look at all that oil under her! :lol:

And btw your profile says you have 720, where's the 620 love?

The oil under her is the 720... she's getting love lol and moved her to the back of the house..

Well I dunno what "reindex" is maybe someone can explain that. Cranking torsion bars down takes the preload out of them so technically your taking the spring out of them which causes a bouncy ride and lots of bottoming out.

Re-indexing is rotating the lever arm one spline tooth to keep the lever arm from protruding below the truck. All you are doing when your 'crank' the torsion bars is rotating them in relation to the frame. This rotates the control arm up effectively lowering the truck.

The 'pre-load' in the torsion spring is the weight of the truck as it sits on the ground, which is the pretty much the same whether your 'crank' the torsion springs or not. The spring still has the same spring rate as you have not modified it, it isn't the same as cutting a coil.

The lack of shock travel is what causes the bouncy ride and bottoming out, that and riding on the bumpstops. You would get the same bouncy ride if you pulled the shocks out of a stock height truck.

Re-indexing from the FAQ

]2edeye, Please make a note that the link to the 620 has the FSM's that everybody with a 620 should have downloaded and to donate for the privilege of getting them Cheap or Free!

Makya, I'm borrowing your post :)

Torsion bar adjustment bolts

Torsion Bar Re-Indexing

So I guess I'll start with why this needs to be done and seeing as how a picture is worth a thousand words....

and a quote...

Redeye, I feel pretty confident that the difference bewteen one spline and two, adjusted only with the slop taken out is 7/8".

mangeledarm1.jpg

mangeledarm.jpg

The first thing to do after jacking up the truck and putting jack stands under it is to mark you arm and frame with a sharpie to let you know your starting point.

Then move the rubber boot back so you can access the c-clip.

bootclip.jpg

Here's a shot of the clip. I was able to get it off with a couple screwdrivers.

cclip.jpg

After you pull the c-clip tap the arm back with a hammer until it pops loose. At this point, if your arms are still in good shape you can rotate the arm and reinsert the torsion rod one spline up.

pullingtorsionrod.jpg

Torsion arm assembly

removedtorsionrodandlever.jpg

All bent back into shape...gotta love steel

straightenedtorsionarm.jpg

Final clearance. I gained about an inch rotating it one spline. I don't think I'll be ripping that bolt out anymore

finalclearance.jpg

All in all it took about 20 minutes and that was mostly cause I used scissor jacks....

How to Reindex Torsion Bars

in front of the middle crossmember, you pull the boot forward to reviel the lock ring

rebuild62.jpg

Work a thin screwdriver into the edge of the ring. It will be tight. I had to work the angle back and forth while occasionally tapping the back of the handle with a hammer

rebuild63.jpg

Once you get under the ring, work it out slightly. Do not pull the screwdriver away or the ring will pop back on

rebuild64.jpg

After you have worked it off part way, use some pliers to pull the ring off the rest of the way. Be sure to still keep the screwdriver under the lock ring

rebuild65.jpg

Tap the rear arm of that holds the adjuster bolt out of the crossmember. Hang onto the torsion bar. It can slide out at either end. I was able to feel the splines in the end of the bar and I moved it two notches. edit:(but you only want to move it one notch!) The reindexed bar is on the right.

rebuild70.jpg

after the bar is reindexed, just hold the lock ring up and hit the back of the ring with a hammer. It pops on real easy. Put the dust boot back

rebuild66.jpg

Nice pic's of the snap ring Bleach :)

Picture added by datzenmike 21/04/10:

torsion_bar.jpg

Another method

just remove the anchor bolts then remove the nut on the A arm up front almost off then pound it out w/o hurting the threads

me and Icehouse did his 521 truck. We NEVER removed the c clip from the back

we just pulled the torsion bar from the front A arm and reindexed it there. Had to jack up the wheel to get it to reinstall. We never wanted to take the c clip out.

Recent thread on extending the shock towers.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39766-even-lower/page__p__624856__hl__monk__fromsearch__1#entry624856

Mine are in there.

IMG_1285.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Lose the wagon wheel 18's and get something smaller. It would lower your truck 2 inches or so simply by switching to 15's with the right size tire.

I'm running 18"s with the same diameter tire as stock. You would have to run a much smaller than stock diameter tire to drop 2" with just tires on 15"s :)

Lee I think he means overall diameter, like to measure the height of both would be 30in......just to say (not sure what just throwin out a number :)). This doesn't take any width difference into account, just diameter OK?

--Ray