Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

So with the help of GoonFan (once again lol) I was able to change my tire to a good one. At least this time I had my own rim and tire to put on... I just used Goon's jack. With the car so low and even lower since it wasnt on an aired up tire, I had to put the jack under the frame in front of the tire and just behind the bumper. That was not a spot I wanted to use as a jack-point. I took it slow and it all worked out.

Headed to get a new tire tomorrow or I might just have them patch the current one since it looks like there was no damage done during the flat.

On lunch right now at work and finished designing my first piece to be cut tomorrow once I get off work. Im probably going to be running on it on the manual lathe since I thik thats the only machine we have open currently. Be on the look out for part oics tomorrow late morning/afternoon.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are only for fixing in the back woods so you can drive somewhere and have it fixed properly. That said I have repaired one this way, two actually, and never had them repaired properly with an internal patch, and the one worked perectly and the other had a very slow leak.

When ratsun takes a crap. i look like this :blush: :confused: :crying: :bye: :no: :frantics: :mad: <_< :hairy:

and then i hit enter 5,000 times and it works and i look like this :mellow: :blink: :sweat: :excl: fap fap :excl: :D :thumbup: :poke:

such an embarassment.. the fuck does that all even mean??

sorry, probably shouldnt have brought it back up in your thread. im just now seeing all the stupid shit my little bro says on here. kinda blown away by it all lol

Edited by SIXTY-NINE-DIME

So with the help of GoonFan (once again lol) I was able to change my tire to a good one. At least this time I had my own rim and tire to put on... I just used Goon's jack. With the car so low and even lower since it wasnt on an aired up tire, I had to put the jack under the frame in front of the tire and just behind the bumper. That was not a spot I wanted to use as a jack-point. I took it slow and it all worked out.

Headed to get a new tire tomorrow or I might just have them patch the current one since it looks like there was no damage done during the flat.

On lunch right now at work and finished designing my first piece to be cut tomorrow once I get off work. Im probably going to be running on it on the manual lathe since I thik thats the only machine we have open currently. Be on the look out for part oics tomorrow late morning/afternoon.

les schwab does flat repair for free! or at least the one in stanwood does, they usually gotta be mounted though

sorry, probably shouldnt have brought it back up in your thread. im just now seeing all the stupid shit my little bro says on here. kinda blown away by it all lol

Haha no worries man. Im sure little brothers are always embarrassing.

les schwab does flat repair for free! or at least the one in stanwood does, they usually gotta be mounted though

I thought they only did that for tires they sold you. I will have to look into that.

Uploading oics for todays progress!!!!! Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Ok, here we go... a little story before the pictures. The door lock pulls were horse shit in my car. They were dry, cracked, sun-bleached white in some places so I decided to pick up some new ones. I only knew of two places to get them. There were OEM replacements available at a merchant whom most do not do business with and a member here on Ratsun who made aluminum ones. Well, I hated the style that were offered here on Ratsun (Im sure they were great quality), so I bought them from the other guy.

Needless to say, they sucked. I know he doesnt make them himself, so I really dont fault him, but they felt cheap and crappy, a few barely threaded on... they sucked.

So I decided on a style I wanted and cut my own. I can now call myself a real machinist now as I have officially designed the part, setup to machine from scratch, cut the part manually, and finished them myself. All work done by me and I think they came out fantastic. 100% happy with them. I have a bit more bar stock left so Im contemplating making a decent run of them. We shall see what happens, but either way Im loving them so far. Onto the pictures:

OEM piece:

7563677264_8360ae8394_z.jpg

OEM reproduction:

7563678296_051b09b85d_z.jpg

Parts I designed and cut:

7563671912_baf58327a9_z.jpg

Blurry closeup (sorry):

7563673006_acf9e2dbd2_z.jpg

Locked:

7563675314_d60e20020b_z.jpg

Unlocked:

7563674100_b0fc84854b_z.jpg

Outside in the rain picture:

7563676376_792ff37442_z.jpg

They are currently a mostly shiny silver from the cutting process, but Im probably going to brush them up to match my sill plates.

• Like 1

Haha no worries man. Im sure little brothers are always embarrassing.

I thought they only did that for tires they sold you. I will have to look into that.

Uploading oics for todays progress!!!!! Stay tuned.

Hmm other people have said that to, its worth checking into though, ive always just dropped em off no questions asked, never thought about if they were brands they sell or not.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited since those are the first pieces I've really made. I want to improve on them a bit so I have some ideas. I have asked to make them for a few people so of looks like I'm going to be cutting more tonight. I really didn't plan on selling them right now, but if you want a set ( or four if you have four doors) just PM me and well talk.

7563675314_d60e20020b_z.jpg

Unlocked:

7563674100_b0fc84854b_z.jpg

Outside in the rain picture:

7563676376_792ff37442_z.jpg

those came out nice! i'd like to eventually get some made that sit a little lower in lock position. i love rolling the windows down and using the door as an arm rest but the damn locks get uncomfortable pretty quick.

• Like 1

those came out nice! i'd like to eventually get some made that sit a little lower in lock position. i love rolling the windows down and using the door as an arm rest but the damn locks get uncomfortable pretty quick.

my thoughts exactly.

Agree. I've made a few little notes on what I want to change on these. I'd like them a little lower, I'm thinking of putting either a radius along the disks edges, or like a 45* edge cut.

I was taping by hand, so I think I'm just not going all the way down. The threads should start .094in from the top of the part, so that's pretty low. I haven't driven it yet so I'm unsure of how comfortable it is. I'll probably pull them out at work tonight and run the tap through them again... Try to get deeper. I also think if I use one of the machines to tap, I'll have better control.

Yeah, the lathe I was working on has taping capabilities, but I've never done it that way and I guess the process needed some decent explaining. The guy who was showing me the operation of that lathe had a meeting to go to, so I didn't get the chance to learn how. I've taped by hand before, so I went that route.

I'll report tonight on the status is the threads. I almost positive I can get it more low-pro. When I designed the part, I had that in mind and my math should be sound... It's just the implementation.

So far I like cutting my own shit; fun work.

I was thinking of running the tap on the drill press so I knew I was getting a straight tap... I also checked my math on the threads and they should be sitting a lot lower. I brought them in from the car and will be making sure the threads go all the way.

Ive also cut four more tonight. Im trying for another few while Im at work... after that, Im out of stock and will have to buy some.

we have no idea.

might want to have a talk with him about that. lol

Unfortunately we're using the Tree for Karakoram parts... I'll just do it by hand for now. Ive about 6 lock pulls and all threads have come out great.

Low-pro bitch!

7567837754_9433464768_z.jpg

Here is how low it sits locked when I actually tap all the way as I originally planned.