Bye-bye Distributor, Hello Coil Pack

ggzilla

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The VR sensor with the motor at TDC should be 9 teeth behind the missing tooth. What are you using to controll it. If you are just using it alone you will have no advance other than what you set your initial at. Without any computer controll the EDIS will run in "limp home" mode which is 10 degrees BTDC. Heres some good info.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

Depending on the rotation of your engine the missing tooth is 9 teeth ahead of your sensor. With the timing you can use your stock timing mark and check it like you would normaly. I have some adjustability in my VR sensor but dont need it with my megasquirt. This will alow you to move the timing and run more than just the 10 degrees.

if im reading it correctly it means that the "missing tooth" should be nine teeth away from the pick up as the motor turns so basicly it needs to be 9 teeth away from the sensor in the rotation direction if that helps any im horrible at explaning things

ok i think what he means is it should be where the blue arrow is pointing but it could be where the red one is pointing because if it works the way i think it does the red one is pointing to a spot where it would fire before the piston hit tdc but again if im reading ti right its where the blue one is pointing

Untitled.jpg

i hope this helps and im sorry if it just makes it more confusing

• 2 weeks later...

It works! Got it running tonight after work, drove it around the block

At first it wouldn't start. So I thought about what you all said, and I moved the tooth-wheel back 9 tooth the other direction and it fired right up!

Now I got to get a controller for it, they are $79 dollars.

Yes, it is straight degrees, no advance curve. I don't have a timing light so I dunno exactly where it is at. It drives fine in 1st and 2nd, down a bit in power as your rev it up, but runs very smoothly, idles well.

Here is a small vid (mostly sound) of the first run up. I'm guessing it was about 10-15 degrees retarded because of the way it ran.

FLV flash video (202k)

After this I advance the wheel a bit more than one tooth (10+ degrees) it sound better, idles perfectly, and I drove it around the block.

I'm still excited about my $35 purchase, including the bushing... gotta get the controller now.

Yes. No.

Yes, coil pack is a stronger spark. It is also 'multiple spark' (like an CDI system) at low RPMs.

I have left the distributor in as a backup (read the entire thread here you'll know why).

I think will give it a try.

If I get 2 more miles per gallon, it will be worth it over time.

Gas will be at $5gallon pretty soon.

Nice write up