Bye-bye Distributor, Hello Coil Pack

ggzilla

Thanks, glad to hear it makes sense.

Well, I finally finished it. Here is a pic of the MegaJolt Lite Jr. bolted in place:

16106.jpg

Only Four wires into the cabin:

1. Ground (earth)

2. IGN (hot)

3. rpm sensor

4. feedback wire

Of course under the hood there is a bunch of wires on the EDIS itself.

It drives real nice, smoother than before, but not more powerful. Throttle response feels quite different but then it was warm today. I should have a good idea after a few days of driving to work. I've been examining the default spark curve mapping, it has more mechanical advance but less vacuum advance. The stock Datsun distributors don't have hardly any mechanical advance in them.

16107.jpg

Now I need a timing light. I think the timing is probably retarded still (I advanced it twenty degrees by sight). Anyone in Seattle area got one I can borrow? I can't think of a way to set the timing by sight and sound...

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I checked there was still a guy selling them on eBay. Cheap, and fairly rough, but the deal closer is that he will cut the inside to your spec dia. for $5. When I got mine, i just welded it on to my pulleys, and cleaned it up with a file while the truck ran. EDIS has a MUCH more powerful spark, and it idles / runs way smoother than a distributor. However, this is true only if you can convert your engines' two advance curves to one MAP / RPM spark map. This isn't as easy as you might think, and can ruin your engine if you get it way wrong.