What battery do you use/recommend?

Wubzi

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The smallest battery possible, keeps your weight down for maximum accleration.

A group 26 is twice the CCA needed. It starts my high compression +2.5 overbore engine right up every time even in dead of winter. I use the same battery in my 3.0 Mazda, works superb.

15362.jpg

Sears DieHard or PlusStart have been very good to me.

In Japan they used an even smaller battery. But they don't sell battery that small here.

16698.jpg

The terminals are even smaller than US batteries!

With a properly tuned and maintenance .... carb tuned perfectly .... no vacuum leaks ...With good battery cables ... engine to frame grounds ... in our datsuns .... you do not need an oversize or deep cycle ... unless very high compression with a knarly cam, and 20+ degrees base ignition timing lol ... :D

I love deep cycle battery's and optimas, or oydessy.

Now an 8cylinder large displacement engine.... different story :D ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The smallest battery possible, keeps your weight down for maximum accleration.

A group 26 is twice the CCA needed. It starts my high compression +2.5 overbore engine right up every time even in dead of winter. I use the same battery in my 3.0 Mazda, works superb.

15362.jpg

Sears DieHard or PlusStart have been very good to me.

In Japan they used an even smaller battery. But they don't sell battery that small here.

16698.jpg

The terminals are even smaller than US batteries!

I sell that battery....

I personally rock an Optima marine style deep cycle, but I work in a battery shop and got it used for almost free.

Odyssey 680, super small!

http://www.odysseyba...pc680series.htm

I sell that one too.....I plan on putting one of these under my dash and remote posts where the holes for AC hoses are on the firewall.

Original hold downs in the US were for group 24s, I prefer a shorter battery like the 34 which is an inch shorter. That is, coincidentally the size for most Optimas.

• 3 weeks later...

i prefer the deka intimidator it tends to have better life than the optimasand is cheaper this is what i use in the stereo comp. car also the super start agm is the samething as the deka and is cheaper fyi

Intimidators are awesome stuff, careful at any oreillys tho. Most of their stuff is East Penn, but a lot of the west coast gets Johnson controls batts.

Optima has been made by Johnson controls for a while now and is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Different formula in the AGM and produced in Mexico instead of Aurora colorado. My 7 year old optima is as strong as the same thing new on the shelf at work.

Why buy a junkyard battery for $35, even if it works fine and will turn over a high-comp 1.9 liter woohoo big engine? It don't look cool. And you will have to replace it in a few years, i guarantee it.

Always so critical of my engine...... It works, doesnt it?

Yes, with a datsun you can get away with most any battery.

Intimidators are awesome stuff, careful at any oreillys tho. Most of their stuff is East Penn, but a lot of the west coast gets Johnson controls batts.

Optima has been made by Johnson controls for a while now and is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Different formula in the AGM and produced in Mexico instead of Aurora colorado. My 7 year old optima is as strong as the same thing new on the shelf at work.

Optima's are not what they used to be. I have 3 of them. One of them is so old, I cant remember when I bought it. It's at least 12 yrs old, maybe more ( I swear I bought it in 1990, but I'm old and cant remember shit). It kicks the shit out of the 1yr old ones.

I like them because they are dry. The one in my sandrail sits right behind the passenger seat. I wouldn't want douse someone with battery acid if I wreck. No acid = no corrosion.

I am critical of the idea that Datsuns require a special battery. The best of the cheap batteries work well don't they? I was using an old tiny japan battery with my high-comp Datsun and it barely turned over, was often needing jump starts -- but it was old. Switched to the small $35 battery and it was already several years old. I bought the same one (now it costs $50) for my 3-liter Ford, and it also works very well. They just look kinda small sitting there in the stock battery box. To my eyes the Optimas look the best with their spiral-wound cells and bright colors. Or those racing batteries because they are so small. And of course they work. Which is more Ratsun?

Lead acid batteries to corrode your battery plate/terminals to look more RATSUN! :P

As i said, yeah, anything can damn near start a Datsun, my lawn tractor batter could probably do it. All a matter of how deep of pockets and how much your eye is on aesthetics.