chev 3.8 v6 in a 521?

i have a 1971 521 and i am considering an engine swap. I have been thinking seriously about a chevy 3.8l v6. After looking into in to it, the 3.8 v6 is one of the top ten engines ever made. their is a pile of aftermarket parts including bell housings to mount pretty much every tranny you can think of. not to mention their is a pile of these engines around.

what do you think?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no not yet. but i think i will be getting one soon. these engines are every where. they are in delta 88's and buicks. you can even use the ones that are used in front wheel drive cars. you just need the right bellhousing. has anybody out there done this before? either way i think that if i do it, that i would have one of the fastest datsun trucks around ! :cool:

That's the Buick V6, 3.8 liter, first released 1961. Chevy designed the smaller, lighter 3.0 liter V6, and the Chevy 4.3 V6 is 3/4 of a Chevy V8.

The Buick V6, release 2.0 is the "GM 3800". It's a decent engine, but weighs as much as a small block chevy. So why not go all the way? There are lots of V8 520/521... the 3.8 V6 won't come anywhere near being as fast as a 5.0 V8.

I looked into a 320 with a 70's mustang V6 once upon a time. The owner said he had to weigh down the bed alot to get traction, even in the summer. It had a pinto rack I think. The biggest problem he had is that, w/o powersteering, it was real hard to turn the steering wheel at a stand still.

I have a ton of pictures of that truck so I will have to make a thread about it.

I agree with fivendime....go for it. Here's some pics of one off CL last year. I've seen another with the same motor, but I don't think I have pics of it. He cut part of the out steering tube to make it fit. Can't tell if this guy did. It will probably be your only real obstacle.

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

[Hijack]

Mike did you get any pic's of how he tied this to the frame?

I agree with fivendime....go for it. Here's some pics of one off CL last year. I've seen another with the same motor, but I don't think I have pics of it. He cut part of the out steering tube to make it fit. Can't tell if this guy did. It will probably be your only real obstacle.

DSC00347.jpg

[/Hijack]

2eDeYe;52958'']Hell ya... Vortec though :cool:

but thats the beauty of it do you ahve any clue how much is avalable for the vortec motors? and look at what they move they move trucks that weigh 2 tons and still haul ass imagine that with half the weight

That's the Buick V6, 3.8 liter, first released 1961. Chevy designed the smaller, lighter 3.0 liter V6, and the Chevy 4.3 V6 is 3/4 of a Chevy V8.

The Buick V6, release 2.0 is the "GM 3800". It's a decent engine, but weighs as much as a small block chevy. So why not go all the way? There are lots of V8 520/521... the 3.8 V6 won't come anywhere near being as fast as a 5.0 V8.

The Buick V6 started with a 225 cu in 3.6 liter motor based on the V8 90 degree cylinder bank. A 60 degree would have given even cylinder firing every 120 of rotation but NO they went with the V8 design and the cylinders fired at 90 degrees then 30 degrees then 90 degrees then 30 degrees and so on. It vibrated (duh) and was known as the ODD fire V6. By '67 and the muscle car era the plans were sold to Jeep. By '74 and the oil shortage GM bought it back and enlarged it to 231 cu in or 3.8 liters. In '77 the crank throws were revised to give even firing and the new EVEN fire V6 was produced. Now the V6 looked much more like 3/4 chevy V8. There were many refinements including a 4.1 and a 3 liter fwd motor. In '88 it was totally redesigned as the 3800 for FWD cars.

A 3.8 won't come close to a 5.0 Mustang? There are 3,000 + lb 3.8 and 4.1 Buick Grand Nationals turning 10 second 1/4 mile times. 600-700 ft lbs of torque. They are one tough little motor and monster amounts of power can be squeezed out of them.

BTW the Blazer/S-10 manual tranny will fit the 3800 fwd motor.

That's right:

* A stock Buick 3.8 doesn't come close to a stock 5.0 Mustang engine

* A stock boosted Buick 3.8 does'nt come close to a stock boosted 5.0 Mustang engine (e.g. Saleen, Cobra, etc).

Now let's apples to orange: Still doesn't compare. A stock boosted 3.8 is about the same a naturally aspirated 5.0: Buick GN Turbo was a low 14-second car -- on a cold day. 1986-1994 5.0 mustangs were low 14 seconds. Hot or cold day.

Now you can compare a new 2008 model GM 3800 to a an old 1980 Ford 5.0. V6 is better I guess.

It all depends...

But why fit a heavy V6 engine, when an CA18DET can put out 300 hp and weigh less?

"Keep it all Nissan"

Ok ok, did some research into putting a 4.1 into my '78 a couple of years ago and wandered into GN territory. What I mean:D (not what I said) is that they are impressive motors without the bulk and weight of a V8. I think the factory rating is 285 horse but GN owners laugh at this and anyway they mod them up. What is an '82-83 5.0 anyway? and yes a nice light Nissan is preferable for sure.

So how does the size of their size compare to the vg?

Mike, from what I have taken a look at the VG is larger width wise, but front to back I'm not to sure. The buicks are actually a very small motor.

Guys don't harp on him for putting a different motor into it...at least its not a small block:lol: