dislexic adventure in dimeing

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Thats a bad ass mikuni set up, I used to have that on my first dime I like how the linkage is on that set up best one IMO for dual carbs like that.

Yah i like the mikuni intake a lot more then the cannon intake i had before.

I am still running my su's they will probably stay on the l for a while .

I have bigger plans for the 45's on my other dime!

• 2 weeks later...

well i changed the trans seems to be in better shape then the last one.

I also changed the u joints. ( thanks datsun mike for the write up )

But i still have the dam vibration. i noticed it gets worse if some one is in the back seat. :mad: man i wish i could figure this out ! I am thinking of trying to change out the trailing arm bushings next .

well i changed the trans seems to be in better shape then the last one.

I also changed the u joints. ( thanks datsun mike for the write up )

But i still have the dam vibration. i noticed it gets worse if some one is in the back seat. :mad: man i wish i could figure this out ! I am thinking of trying to change out the trailing arm bushings next .

When I had my 510 lowered in the back AS FAR DOWN AS IT WOULD GO with BRE-style screw-jacks, It would vibrate in the rear under load.

Similarly, I suspected the U-joints at first, but found them to be in good shape. When I raised the back end up just a hair, it went away. Turned the screw-jacks back down- the vibration came back. Problem isolated! Unless you're going to raise the differential (hard to do without fabrication) there's a practical limit to the angle of the rear half-shafts (and the U-joints in them)

The u-joints can only articulate so far - and then they max out. You mentioning that it worse with someone in the back seat makes me think that's what's happening. For a quick check, put a 1/2" or 1" of shim material under the rear springs where they sit in the CA pockets, see if that cures it.

I dunno where the discussion of the vibration started, I followed the thread back a little but didn't find it. - hope this helps.

Edited by blueridgespeed
clarification
When I had my 510 lowered in the back AS FAR DOWN AS IT WOULD GO with BRE-style screw-jacks, It would vibrate in the rear under load.

Similarly, I suspected the U-joints at first, but found them to be in good shape. When I raised the back end up just a hair, it went away. Turned the screw-jacks back down- the vibration came back. Problem isolated! Unless you're going to raise the differential (hard to do without fabrication) there's a practical limit to the angle of the rear half-shafts (and the U-joints in them)

The u-joints can only articulate so far - and then they max out. You mentioning that it worse with someone in the back seat makes me think that's what's happening. For a quick check, put a 1/2" or 1" of shim material under the rear springs where they sit in the CA pockets, see if that cures it.

I dunno where the discussion of the vibration started, I followed the thread back a little but didn't find it. - hope this helps.

I remember reading some of this same information from members on the realm, having vibration when putting the axles at the extreme limits. I think this is one of the reasons that the CV kits were a popular upgrade as they allow greater angles without vibration.

it started about 8 months ago the car has ben this low for 2 years or so.

but i am thinking the rear looks lower maybe my suspension in the rear is starting to sag and now my u joints are binding

Mikey, you need CV's or raise it up a little bit...

raise it up ! that's blaspheme

I remember reading some of this same information from members on the realm, having vibration when putting the axles at the extreme limits. I think this is one of the reasons that the CV kits were a popular upgrade as they allow greater angles without vibration.

what up chris where you ben hiding out ? you on winter brake yet ?

changed trans new drive line ujoints new trans mount swap half shafts 3 times changed a brake drum that had warped changed rear tires and jad them balanced . i just took it to lesschwab to have them balanc all 4 four. i should have it back in a hour or so i hope it was the tires but i dought it. i am buying new rubber spring holders for the rear ( mine are falling a part ) this should raise the rear I hope! We will see lol i checked the angl on the half shafts the ujoint hooked to the dif is at 7.5 degrees and the one at the hub is at 8.5 degrees. They are with in 1 degree of each other so i think they are ok. but when under load who knows hope fully when i raise it up the vibration will go a way.

Any one know what the max angle is for the half shaft u joints i have herd 8 degree's and 10 degree's .