X19 Fiat steering

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 72 510. I saw that the Fiat is a little narrower then the MR2 resulting in less bump steer. I've built bajas with the narrow racks that have the same lenght tie rods with no prob. The 510 with a KA swap will not allow for this setup due to the steep angles on the U joints. I'm just wondering what people have to say. I've read the thread on rack and pinion but just want to elaberate.

Nope..but i have a few mr2s and one of my brothers used to be way into X19s and those things were a bitch to get anything for ..But that was before the internet

The ones i have seen on the internet seem to have been 240z racks into 510s,, but i think they have to switch the steering TC arms from front to back ( or vice versa ) and not sure how they did it..

Ya good call I think though the X19 rack is pretty much the narrowist rack tahat you can get. The MR2 however you can get the Quief quick steer along with everyting else. I just don't want a bunch of bumpsteer. This is a reserch project that I want to get right. Putting a turbo KA in and just want quick and non sloppy stedering.

How about the new Fiat 500 or the Smart car for possible donors, they have to be pretty short. I don't know if they are front or rear steer though? More research needed. I might boil down to a custom rack to not have any bump steer. An off the shelf rack is going to be a compromise in one form or another.

YOUR RIGHT!!!! I just measured the 510 LCA pivot to pivot and it 22''. The Fiat might just be a winner. Looked at the smart car racks and they are diffentley narrower but where you attach the colum looks to be almost in the center of the rack. Couldn't find any soild dementions though, will keep looking.

Something else to consider, how easily can you get a Fiat X19 rack? I don't have any here at NAPA, while I can still get the Chevette rack and pinions fairly easily. Still east coast though.