back to the future...

battlewagon

My grandfather purchased a slightly used '69 Datsun 521 in '72, he drove it stock for 15 years until the late 80's when he dropped a Cheby 3.8 (not the Buick), TH350, 2 barrell Weber, added Mustang buckets, a B&M Supershifter and a super stout custom flatbed. He also added a moonroof, hoodscoop (to accomodate the engine swap), a narrowed Corporate 8.25", and a Wilwood front disk conversion.

In HS:

166902_2859174278476_1233232391_33253668_643011211_n.jpg

Since I was young I would practice driving this truck up and down his gravel driveway, when I turned 16 he tossed me the keys and I was ecstatic. I drove it only about a year before my parents insecurities about it's safety took over and they traded me their '84 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 for the Datsun, I was hesitant but the LC was a bomber rig and the Datsun went to my uncle. About 7 years later the Datsun was stolen out of my uncle's shop. Witnesses spotted a couple dudes farting around with a pickup in the woods and called it in, by the time my cousins had got there they had stripped it clean of the interior, tranny, motor, etc...

I took it over from that day, by that I mean let it sit in a buddy's field for about 7 years... until now.

Home, mossy and dirty:

393277_2858513661961_1233232391_33253503_1686754860_n.jpg

Washed and pulled the flatbed:

datsunclean3.jpg

datsunclean1.jpg

datsunclean2.jpg

build details to follow.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for being a little cryptic about powertrains, I had been drinking whiskey last night when I posted my intro and I didn't want to muddle my plans. When I got the truck back 7 years ago I had plans for a SBC, it actually still has a cracked 350 mocked up in the bay. Since it originally had the 90 degree V6, I got some V6 to V8 adapter plates for the motor mounts and the crossmember is already set up for a TH350. Then MPG started itching me a little and I had plans for a pissed off Vortec 4.3 (probably the best choice IMO), then I itched a little more thinking it would be a sweet little commuter and a diesel would be the right choice. Then it just sat until I saw this thing ripping down I-205:

bedoff.sized.jpg

It had some stainless steel boxes hanging under the bed, and no tailpipe. I researched it a little bit and found this:

http://photos.plasma...babyblue?page=1

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/

I DD a V8 Tundra, the wifey has a Pathfinder and my hobby rig is a '90 Landcruiser (selling to help finance the Datto), all gas guzzling monsters. I'm not a granola grazer but the idea of an electric vehicle really appeals to me so I've been doing my homework here: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/ and I think I can put together performance based EV with a range of 60 miles which would fit my needs for a runabout/hobby truck.

So my plans are to baseline the rig, run through the brakes, rebuild the 8.25", coilover the front, tubeframe the rear with 4-links and coilovers, deck the tubed rear with a lightweight aluminum flatbed. I can source a DC motor from a forklift and build a motor controler, tranny options are still up in the air. I have a Millermatic 165, a JD2 tubing bender and just enough fab skills to get it done. Batteries are the tough part of the equation, lithiums are becoming more affordable and offer much better performance. I'm giving myself about 2 years to get it on the road (sorry, won't be much instant gratification here).

I figured this would be the site to get some good feedback as it seems pretty innovative and not shy to stray off the beaten path. Feedback positive or negative is welcome, my plans are always changing and who knows I might drift back to a combustion engine by the time I get it baselined.

either way, no one can deny this thing is fucking awesome:

The white zombie came to the blue lake meet last year, a few electrics did, was interesting to see them, the zombie has prototype batterys in it, if you were to buy them, it would have cost about a $100,000 dollars, very light type of battery, each set of cells had a little fan, when the sun hit the battery cells, the fans on them cells would activate. Maybe the batterys are cheaper now.

sorry for being a little cryptic about powertrains, I had been drinking whiskey last night when I posted my intro and I didn't want to muddle my plans. When I got the truck back 7 years ago I had plans for a SBC, it actually still has a cracked 350 mocked up in the bay. Since it originally had the 90 degree V6, I got some V6 to V8 adapter plates for the motor mounts and the crossmember is already set up for a TH350. Then MPG started itching me a little and I had plans for a pissed off Vortec 4.3 (probably the best choice IMO), then I itched a little more thinking it would be a sweet little commuter and a diesel would be the right choice. Then it just sat until I saw this thing ripping down I-205:

bedoff.sized.jpg

It had some stainless steel boxes hanging under the bed, and no tailpipe. I researched it a little bit and found this:

http://photos.plasma...babyblue?page=1

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/

I DD a V8 Tundra, the wifey has a Pathfinder and my hobby rig is a '90 Landcruiser (selling to help finance the Datto), all gas guzzling monsters. I'm not a granola grazer but the idea of an electric vehicle really appeals to me so I've been doing my homework here: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/ and I think I can put together performance based EV with a range of 60 miles which would fit my needs for a runabout/hobby truck.

So my plans are to baseline the rig, run through the brakes, rebuild the 8.25", coilover the front, tubeframe the rear with 4-links and coilovers, deck the tubed rear with a lightweight aluminum flatbed. I can source a DC motor from a forklift and build a motor controler, tranny options are still up in the air. I have a Millermatic 165, a JD2 tubing bender and just enough fab skills to get it done. Batteries are the tough part of the equation, lithiums are becoming more affordable and offer much better performance. I'm giving myself about 2 years to get it on the road (sorry, won't be much instant gratification here).

I figured this would be the site to get some good feedback as it seems pretty innovative and not shy to stray off the beaten path. Feedback positive or negative is welcome, my plans are always changing and who knows I might drift back to a combustion engine by the time I get it baselined.

either way, no one can deny this thing is fucking awesome:

holy crap! That gave me chills. Doo eet! Cool truck. I like the sound of your plans.

That baby blue 521 was built by John.

A useful lithium pack can be had for $3 - 4K. Paul who is a sometimes-member here spent $3k for his Datsun 411 pack which if i recall correctly was designed for 40 mile range. The 521 is heavier though.

The racers use larger, more expensive packs because they are racing. You don't need that much horsepower for a daily driver.