anyone thought of putting a small block 327 in a 510?

five_ten

i have finally found a clean straight 1971 510 2 door i am looking at making it into an occasional driver/ race themed 510 and i'm planning on running a four linked shortened ford 9 inch rear end with a posi, connected to a turbo 400 trans. powered by a smallblock 327. i'am just curious of opinions that others have, keep in mind i do like to be different and unique so you won't see me with the stock motor, nor a rotory. thank you for your input.

-levi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

132573945104.jpg

But here is some info on it

http://www.the510rea...lock+v8#p186436

there is so many other options you can use instead of cutting up a 510 to make a V8 fit.

VG30DE, DET, DETT, then the Supercharged VG, or a VQ if you're up for the challenge.

then there are the most common 4 banger swaps like the SR20DE/T, KA24DE, then the not so common FJ20DE, CA18.. ETC

What skib and dat510 said :)

Set it back as far as you can bare... if this is your final decision

I like sbc stuff ... have 350 dropped in my project 240z ...

327 good engine! Lt-1, ls-1, lq-4 ... all smaller and lighter ... but use what you can afford or like ;)

i know it will be a long and large project but in the end it will be worth it, the guy i bought the 510 from told me it has the L18 motor but the L20 head, what would be the purpose of the L20 head? higher compression?

all L motor heads are interchangeable.

nothing terribly special about the stock L20 head, its open chamber.

What skib and dat510 said :)

Set it back as far as you can bare... if this is your final decision

I like sbc stuff ... have 350 dropped in my project 240z ...

327 good engine! Lt-1, ls-1, lq-4 ... all smaller and lighter ... but use what you can afford or like ;)

i have finally found a clean straight 1971 510 2 door i am looking at making it into an occasional driver/ race themed 510 and i'm planning on running a four linked shortened ford 9 inch rear end with a posi, connected to a turbo 400 trans. powered by a smallblock 327. i'am just curious of opinions that others have, keep in mind i do like to be different and unique so you won't see me with the stock motor, nor a rotory. thank you for your input.

-levi

This is your car project, my concerns are this:

You don't mention that you have any experience doing this rather involved swap. Almost everything will need to be custom fabricated one-offs so you will need tools equipment and skills or lots of money to pay someone to do it. Many well intentioned owners get in over their heads and the car can't be sold because it hacked up and has to be parted out and then scrapped. In comparison a botched 4 cylinder transplant can still be saved and the car passed on to another generation to enjoy. Clean straight 510s are getting harder and harder to find and eventually through attrition they will be gone. Because we love them so many 510 owners hate talk of SBC swaps. A V8 will destroy the unique handling of the 510 making it a straight line race car, a 1/4 mile car actually, and not a curve carver. You can get the same hp from a well documented 4 cylinder swap without the weight penalty. Just a thought.

i plan on driving it with the way it is mechanicly until i get enough money for the trans, rear end and the motor but in the mean time i plan on doing interior work and finish prepping for paint.

Finish painting it and drive it, don't look back!!! In time get a KA motor and 5 speed for it. Maybe a turbo later and you'll have the same power as a 327 and it will still corner like a snake on sandpaper. When you outgrow it some other kid can still enjoy it.

• Like 1

yeah what your saying makes alot of sense, i've done motor swaps before and i've built race cars for our local dirt circle track but this is my first datsun project, a 4 cylinder would be practical and deffinitly not a hack job but it seems that almost every datsun motor swap is a 4 cylinder. a small block 327 with the right set up in the front suspension and the patience to do the swapwith time and care will be the sweet ticket.i'm not out to intend to destroy such a beautiful rare car, but to just make it my own. the thought i have put into this car and my plans should go well and i'm looking forward to the future of this gorgeous machine to be unique and not half ass'd. my options are still open to my possibilities for the custom build but i know these cars are becoming scarce

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Why isn't this a sticky yet? Too many already or something like that? <_<

Should be a prerequisite to be able to join Ratsun, skill testing questions :lol:

dont worry new guy not flaming you...yet :lol: