anyone thought of putting a small block 327 in a 510?

five_ten

a small block 327 with the right set up in the front suspension and the patience to do the swapwith time and care will be the sweet ticket.

The 327 is about 575 pounds. That's over 300 extra pounds over the front end. No amount of suspension will make it handle well and no amount of brakes will make it brake as well as it does right now..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont worry new guy not flaming you...yet :lol:

I have a problem with typing sarcasm. I really mean no disrespect to new guy. I like swaps and I like 'em different -- I just think it should be well thought out. Five_ten, most of us aren't saying DON'T do it. Please just have all your ducks in a row and finish what you start.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I have a problem with typing sarcasm. I really mean no disrespect to new guy. I like swaps and I like 'em different -- I just think it should be well thought out. Five_ten, most of us aren't saying DON'T do it. Please just have all your ducks in a row and finish what you start.

Its in my nature(sarcasim) :lol:

Ducks in a row agreed...

many many old cars get abandoned and scrapped because ducks were not in a row..

this was all just a thought and i wanted input from all of you, no bloodshed no tears we're all good. i'm not out to do this project in a hurry, things done in a hurry are hack jobs and end up getting scrapped. i will keep this thought of a v8 but for now i am still prepping for paint and drawing up interior ideas.

Sounds expensive and complicated, but yes:

The 3.6-liter VVT DI is based on GM Powertrain’s sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 engine. It is the latest member of a growing family of GM Powertrain V-6 engines developed for applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

Features found on the 3.6-liter VVT DI include:

Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads

Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and silent chain primary drive

High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump

Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors developed to withstand high pressure and heat

Stainless steel, variable pressure fuel rail

Four-cam phasing (VVT – see description below)

11.3:1 compression ratio

Aluminum pistons with floating wrist pins and oil squirters

Polymer coated piston skirts

Forged steel crankshaft

Sinter-forged connecting rods

Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles

Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control

Coil-on-plug ignition

Advanced direct injection capable engine control module (ECM)

Optimized exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters

Fully isolated composite camshaft covers

Outstanding noise, vibration and harshness control

Maximum durability with minimum maintenanceCommon manufacturing practices for efficiency and exceptional quality

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

The 327 is about 575 pounds. That's over 300 extra pounds over the front end.

Imagine Rosie O'donnell sitting on your hood. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

The second thing that made me cringe was the turbo 400 trans. Those things consume a ton of HP, and without overdrive, will not be fun on the freeway. Unless you put tall rearend gears in it, you will be at 3000ish rpm at 70mph. If you gear it up it will not perform at the strip.

The first cringe was the thought of another 510 going under the knife. I have only owned one 510. I loved it because it was light, fast and nimble as Hell with the 4 wheel independent suspension. Putting a solid axle and a 500lb brick in it will erase two out of three for me (light and nimble). And if you cut it up and dont finish it, YOU WILL SURELY GO TO AUTOMOTIVE HELL!!!!! IMO.

Of course do whatever you have to do. It is your car, but since you are new to this check out some Nissan options first.

Maybe VG30 which is a Nissan V6. You can even carb it. Loads of parts available to make it easier. Check a VQ out too.

Before you go chevy, look into the Nissan options. Heck even a v8 from a Titan? No one has done it. That would pretty sick, and unusual and true to dna.

Or if you really want exotic and unusual and would make the mopar guys scratch their head. Toyota Hemi V8! (Not Nissan, but vintage JDM and way sexier than the Nissan y44 v8 from the era.)

100_9851_014.jpg

a 4 cylinder would be practical and deffinitly not a hack job but it seems that almost every datsun motor swap is a 4 cylinder.

Do you suppose that there just might be a reason for that?

A SBC in the front of a 510 will NEVER handle as good as it does now, no matter how much planning you do beforehand. Not to mention that the SBC is an extremely inefficient/outdated motor. If it just has to be a V8, at least find something with an aluminum blockand heads.

I always thought the old. Mercedes V8s looked like they would be at home in a Datsun.

m100enginelink.jpg

So cool. Makes me wonder how hard it would be to mod L-series valve covers to fit that engine! Can you imagine the scratching heads! "Oh yeah I fused two L20B blocks together."

Sexy, yes. But how much do you think that water pump costs? Probably as much as a complete KA.

Not as much as you think. Not that you would ever have to replace it....

A v8 out of a 500sel is a bit larger than a 327. Aluminum block and heads. 200hp stock and close to 400 out of an amg.

I've looked into it.

If I ever do a non jap swap into a datsun, it's going to be a mercedes engine.

• Like 1

The Mercedes suggestion actually isn't a coincidence. I did some work on an '81 380 SLC this weekend. I like fisch's idea about the valve covers. The ones in the pic I posted kind of look like U20 covers to me but the ones on the '81 have fins similar to an L-motor with no other markings. I threw a tape on it and it is dimensionally a bit smaller than a SBC. It's roughly 26" wide (including manifolds), 29" long (with water pump), 24" tall (sump to stock air cleaner) and weighs around 450#. It has a front sump too which would minimize steering interference unlike the SBC's rear sump. It has a smallish bore (92mm) and a very short stroke (72mm) and makes an advertised 215hp/221tq. Certainly not a powerhouse but actually just about right for a fun driver and not bad for 3.8L. I bet there's more power to be had and it could look much cooler by ditching the gross Bosch injection and either using multiple carbs or a standalone EFI with ITBs.

Sure, almost any 4cyl would probably be a better option. "Different" is fun but shouldn't be the only driving factor. I actually AM a Chevy guy but I think you owe it to yourself to leave your options open. It may not be the best fit. The traditionally SBC will always be around (like the flathead before it) but it's heavy 60 year old technology. Ten years ago an all aluminum LS1 was pretty rare and exotic. Today there is no reason NOT to use one. The price is comparable and there is tremendous aftermarket support, less weight, more power, better fuel economy.

The Mercedes suggestion actually isn't a coincidence. I did some work on an '81 380 SLC this weekend. I like fisch's idea about the valve covers. The ones in the pic I posted kind of look like U20 covers to me but the ones on the '81 have fins similar to an L-motor with no other markings. I threw a tape on it and it is dimensionally a bit smaller than a SBC. It's roughly 26" wide (including manifolds), 29" long (with water pump), 24" tall (sump to stock air cleaner) and weighs around 450#. It has a front sump too which would minimize steering interference unlike the SBC's rear sump. It has a smallish bore (92mm) and a very short stroke (72mm) and makes an advertised 215hp/221tq. Certainly not a powerhouse but actually just about right for a fun driver and not bad for 3.8L. I bet there's more power to be had and it could look much cooler by ditching the gross Bosch injection and either using multiple carbs or a standalone EFI with ITBs.

Sure, almost any 4cyl would probably be a better option. "Different" is fun but shouldn't be the only driving factor. I actually AM a Chevy guy but I think you owe it to yourself to leave your options open. It may not be the best fit. The traditionally SBC will always be around (like the flathead before it) but it's heavy 60 year old technology. Ten years ago an all aluminum LS1 was pretty rare and exotic. Today there is no reason NOT to use one. The price is comparable and there is tremendous aftermarket support, less weight, more power, better fuel economy.

X2 on the LS1. If I was forced at gunpoint to mutate a 510, it would be an LS1 or a blown Pontiac 3.8 from a Gran Prix GTP. If I remember right they are 240HP/275TQ. Might as well chop a big hole in the hood for a blower while were at it.

I vote taking all the time and energy and actually just fuse to l20s together.

Don't forget the flux capacitor

It's what make time travel possible. Sorry I couldn't resist.

420sel is one of my favorites

100_4478.JPG

I've never seen one with a carb. Mechanical injection isn't all that bad.