Ford Eco-boost

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small displacement turbo engines with direct injection are going to be more commonplace due to the mandated fuel economy regulations. (not just Ford) They have to do some creative stuff to get bettery economy now that all the "easy" modifications have been done with new cars to increase mpg.

Comparing fuel economy of old cars vs new cars is apples to oranges. Find a car that weighs the same and it makes more sense. Our older Datsuns get great economy compared to the new cars but dont have:

All the cool electronic shit we like to have.

Quiet interiors

Crash safety structure in the body

SRS components all over the place

All this stuff adds weight to the vehicle which kills mpg.

I see the structural differences in the cars based on age when we cut them apart in training classes. Hydraulic cutters laugh at older cars and cut through like the metal is almost not even there. New cars can be a real pain/try again in another place type thing. The major changes seem to appear in the early 90's.

That is a nice-looking motor.

As far as having cool electronic shit, I'd rather have none of it. The only vice I have is wanting an electric passenger window so I don't have to reach over and roll it down. And realistically you can quiet the 510 cabin fairly easily. I'll probably do POR15 all over it, and maybe put a few asphalt panels down here and there. Marginal, less than 20 pounds additional.

The rest of the SRS stuff and electronics, you can keep! More shit to break down over time.

I wonder if the new eco-boost will have spark plugs that break off in the head like the 5.4s from 2000ish-2006ish? :D

And no, I didn't reply to the android phone thing because I so hate new phones. I have an old phone. I may just buy a palm computer for Internet access instead. Don't like the size of the new phones. And my old one works perfectly!

They didn't break out, they blew out because of the 4 head threads that were replaced with 8 thread heads in 2003. AlSO typically only happended with the Lightnings and HD trucks, and usually after the owners increased the boost.

Here's a good one directly from Ford's website. The F150 4x4 even with the Ecoboost engine, still only manages 15 city/21 hwy according to EPA estimates. While the original D21 4x4 4cyl was 18/21 if I remember correctly. And considering I can get 22 on the highway, and 18 in the city, looks like my $2000 truck with $2000 worth of blood sweat and aftermarket parts, is considerably more efficient! And it's a Datsun! And it looks better! It does not have the cool suspension of the Raptor, however. :(

Let's see what kind of milage your truck gets pulling a 10,000k trailer, but you'll never know because it can't.

If you're not a fan of Ford you just aren't paying attention. What they have done in the last few years is amazing. Look at the non eco boost stuff. The 3.7L is amazing in the new Mustang.

The 5.0 is amazing also. SWBRC f150 with intake, exhaust and tune runs a 12.9 @ 104. Amazing stuff.

And you want to talk about a motor to swap into a Datsun http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/09/ford-begins-offering-crate-versions-of-2-0-liter-four/

Once I started driving a Ford as a DD I never looked back.

Carbs can't give the 20% better fuel economy and 15% less emissions.

Not even EFI can do it.

The ECO part does it.

3.5L EcoBoost's spec sheet, some of the most surprising revelations are its 10.0:1 static compression ratio and ability to run on 87-octane fuel. Most hot rodders wouldn't dare to run that much compression in a naturally aspirated carb motor with iron heads, let alone a forced-induction application pushing 12 psi of boost.

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0910phr_ford_ecoboost_six_cylinder/viewall.html

The technology is out there but only if it is mandated by the government to use it. Oil is king and has all the say. Ford is scrambling to be on the top again since the Japanese products clearly dominated the market for so long. Ford is trying to do what the Japanese did back in the day, make a better product. Do you blame them? Competition promotes progression.

Guest kamakazi620

Carbs can't give the 20% better fuel economy and 15% less emissions.

Not even EFI can do it.

The ECO part does it.

Thats The Joke!!!! everybody wants to Carb their KA's So lets just Carb the Eco boost,Forget the "ECO" part and focus more on the "BOOST" oops i said Focus hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comparing fuel economy of old cars vs new cars is apples to oranges. Find a car that weighs the same and it makes more sense. Our older Datsuns get great economy compared to the new cars but dont have:

All the cool electronic shit we like to have.

Quiet interiors

Crash safety structure in the body

SRS components all over the place

All this stuff adds weight to the vehicle which kills mpg.

Not just that...

15 cup holders, 4 TV monitors, heated seats, navigation because todays driver is a fuckin pussy who gets lost looking for his own ass, electric windows, heated electric mirrors, monitor for backing up, 9 speaker Bose 600 watt stereo, .....

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

Not just that...

15 cup holders, 4 TV monitors, heated seats, navigation because todays driver is a fuckin pussy who gets lost looking for his own ass, electric windows, heated electric mirrors, monitor for backing up, 9 speaker Bose 600 watt stereo, .....

I will take a rattly 510(or any other datsun) and day :cool:

More to break on the new junk :o

They didn't break out, they blew out because of the 4 head threads that were replaced with 8 thread heads in 2003. AlSO typically only happended with the Lightnings and HD trucks, and usually after the owners increased the boost.

Let's see what kind of milage your truck gets pulling a 10,000k trailer, but you'll never know because it can't.

If you're not a fan of Ford you just aren't paying attention. What they have done in the last few years is amazing. Look at the non eco boost stuff. The 3.7L is amazing in the new Mustang.

The 5.0 is amazing also. SWBRC f150 with intake, exhaust and tune runs a 12.9 @ 104. Amazing stuff.

And you want to talk about a motor to swap into a Datsun http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/09/ford-begins-offering-crate-versions-of-2-0-liter-four/

Once I started driving a Ford as a DD I never looked back.

Oh I can tow a 10,000 pound trailer with the hardbody. She won't like it, but she'll do it. Might have to put it in low range, but fortunately I have manual hubs so I can do that and not grenade the transfer case. ;) And as far as spark plugs blowing out, I know of many more than just the boosted versions. Probably since I work in parts. There are a million kits now to fix that very problem. I'm not knocking the motor, someone just dropped the ball on the spark plug threads, goodness knows why they thought 4 was enough to hold them in. Maybe they assumed someone would only change the plugs twice in a lifetime. The other problem though wasn't the threads, it was that stupid two piece plug design that broke off and was left stuck in the head. They've since fixed that, but not until after significant aggravation to the owner.

And actually I'm not anti-Ford, in fact it's one of the few vehicles I'd buy if I had to buy domestic. I am however, anti-safety bullshit, anti ugly (except the Raptor version) and anti weight. And I'm still pissed they killed off the Ranger. It's still for sale on their website though, I'm thinking it must be the last '11 models they're trying to get rid of.

Not just that...

And yes, people constantly come in to our NAPA store saying, "The GPS told us to go to your old location." And I tell them, that's why I don't rely on GPS, buy a map book, then look around!

Hey Lets see what kind of mileage the Ford Ecoboost F150 gets pulling a 10,000k trailer....its not 18/21.

Radio

That's a stupid argument. What kind of milage would the D21 get pulling a 10,000k trailer 1 to 2 mpg going 3 mph before the tranny died? Hell, any truck at that. Even better, any 1/2 ton truck, becuase I'm sure ford has best in class towing.

All I can say I was really impressed with the 2011 F-150 EcoBoost just came back from test driving one and it makes my dad's 2002 Harley Davidson F-150 Supercharged weak. The fact that you can use manual mode is pretty cool for a truck you can downshift it to pass cars quicker but really is no need in 6th gear it's still strong. I can only imagine that engine in something small like a Z that would be beast lol.

All I can say I was really impressed with the 2011 F-150 EcoBoost just came back from test driving one and it makes my dad's 2002 Harley Davidson F-150 Supercharged weak. The fact that you can use manual mode is pretty cool for a truck you can downshift it to pass cars quicker but really is no need in 6th gear it's still strong. I can only imagine that engine in something small like a Z that would be beast lol.

I've raced one in my 2003 HD from a 30 roll and beat it by a truck length. The HD's are quicker, but the ecos have twice the towing capability and twice the gas mileage.

Yup yup! I don't even have seats and I haven't put my window crank back on! Drafty and loud, with no radio. Maybe I'm a little more rat, but that's what I like. I've only got datsuns, and always looking for another.

I did put that outlaw 38/38 on though. But its so mmmmhhmmmm!!

Not just that...