Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This pile of seals showed up the other day.  I was talking with Tracy of Datsport and noted that I think I've bought every rubber seal they offer for a wagon. 

My wagon was missing quite a few of these, so I have to figure out how and where they go pretty soon.

seals.jpg

• Like 1

That's funny.  Those two you mentioned are the only ones I re-used on my wagon.  The front window and the cargo seals were in very good shape, so I removed them carefully, cleaned them, and they were good to go.  All other rubber is getting replaced.

I really need some new taillight lenses...

I,got the cargo and front windshield rubbers in NOS. I need a back glass rubber still.

• Like 1

That's funny.  Those two you mentioned are the only ones I re-used on my wagon.  The front window and the cargo seals were in very good shape, so I removed them carefully, cleaned them, and they were good to go.  All other rubber is getting replaced.

I really need some new taillight lenses...

Let's steal them off of johns wagon. Lol

• Like 1

I say Ray gives you his tail lights. He is never going to make it to the fwy with them tires rubbing.

And yes I have your wheels. Just let me know when you want them back.

• Like 2

Would have rather taken a Sunday off after wrestling with the hatch torsion bars yesterday, but this needed to get done.  Headed back to San Diego on Tuesday..

Hatch window trim is repaired and polished.  Hard to get a good photo, but it turned out pretty nice.

hstainls.jpg

I should have taken a "before" photo as this window was in the rafters in my garage.  There was so much over spray on it, you could barely see the trash can it is sitting on :)  Spent about an hour going over it repeatedly with razor blades..  She smooth now!

hglass.jpg

• Like 3

I should have taken a "before" photo as this window was in the rafters in my garage.  There was so much over spray on it, you could barely see the trash can it is sitting on :)  Spent about an hour going over it repeatedly with razor blades..  She smooth now!

#0000 steel wool makes quick work of this.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

#0000 steel wool makes quick work of this.  :thumbup:

Never thought about that.  Not sure how easy it would be to get primer over spray off.  It's purpose is to stick to stuff, and it REALLY sticks to stuff..

I usually cover windows using lawn sized trash bags, but somehow the hatch window was left uncovered.

Put the hatch together and for some reason, the latch wouldn't catch.  Turned out I needed to make one Fat Bastard shim to make it work.  Didn't mind because the stock shim was pitted and looked like crap anyway.  Just need to paint the shim to finish up the hatch.

Stock shim vs Fat Bastard comparo..

IMG_0957.jpg

Rubber seal w/trim installed.  The aftermarket rubber is really a crap shoot.  I'm glad it's available, but it's sometimes difficult to work with.  This hatch window seal was no exception to that..

hatchfin.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Mr Big.  I should have it home in another 4-6 weeks or so.  It's almost there.

Looking at that photo of the hatch, I'm wondering why I just didn't fill and delete the drains and covers.  Seems like they are totally unnecessary.  Didn't they put those on the 240z for just the first year only?

Wow looking good.

Looking at that photo of the hatch, I'm wondering why I just didn't fill and delete the drains and covers.  Seems like they are totally unnecessary.

I like them, functional or not, but whatever the purpose, there has to be a better way to achieve it.

How does the hatch window trim attach to the seal?

How does the hatch window trim attach to the seal?

It's different than the windshield trim.  There is a very small groove that one side of the trim hooks into.  It does not sit completely in a larger channel like the windshield trim.  The problem I had with it was the groove in the top corners was not cut right, so I had a problem getting the top pieces in.  If it was cut correctly, (like the bottom) it would've been no problem.  It works, but the aftermarket stuff can be hit or miss.