Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a nice chrome one for ya if you want.

Thanks man.  It shouldn't be too bad to get this one done.  I just don't have anything else to get chromed at the moment, otherwise most places have a minimum dollar amount.  I can shop around a bit once the car comes home.  

I still have to remove and repaint the hood here, too...ugh..

rearbump.jpg

Rear bumper took all day to get mounted due to a long list of solvable issues, but it's finally on the car, though. I should have looked at the '68 style license plate light earlier. It looks okay, but could use a chrome bath..

I'll put my NOS "Wagon" badge on soon, and will get a closeup of it just to challenge Mr Big find one for his wagon :) I'm not 100% sure, but I think that badge was only used in Canada and Australia. As always, the truth about trivial items like this can be hard to find..

rearbump.jpg

Rear bumper took all day to get mounted due to a long list of solvable issues, but it's finally on the car, though. I should have looked at the '68 style license plate light earlier. It looks okay, but could use a chrome bath..

I'll put my NOS "Wagon" badge on soon, and will get a closeup of it just to challenge Mr Big find one for his wagon :) I'm not 100% sure, but I think that badge was only used in Canada and Australia. As always, the truth about trivial items like this can be hard to find..

I would kill for a wagon badge.

My rear bumper is 1 piece yet yours is 3 piece by the looks of it.

It had a really messed up rear bumper that was all bog and painted silver.  I don't remember if it was a 1 piece or not.  I picked that bumper here in San Diego for a whopping $35.00  I remember doing the cutout for the license light on it.

I got the NOS wagon badge from a seller in Saudi Arabia.  I did a Hail Mary with it on ebay, and hoped for the best.  It showed up here about 10 days later. I was half expecting to get burned on it, and was very pleased when it was exactly as described.

It had a really messed up rear bumper that was all bog and painted silver. I don't remember if it was a 1 piece or not. I picked that bumper here in San Diego for a whopping $35.00 I remember doing the cutout for the license light on it.

I got the NOS wagon badge from a seller in Saudi Arabia. I did a Hail Mary with it on ebay, and hoped for the best. It showed up here about 10 days later. I was half expecting to get burned on it, and was very pleased when it was exactly as described.

All other wagons I have seen have had a 3 piece bumper so looks like mines the odd one.

Last wagon badge on eBay australia sold for over $250 AUD.

Still trying to wrap this up and still running into stupid little things..

spdogear.jpg

I ran the car on rear jack stands about 10 days ago and noticed two fresh oil puddles under the car.  One of them was the speedo cable....again.  Turns out there was an inner seal on this shaft that was not seated correctly.   Disassembled, cleaned, and degreased the unit, then applied a very thin coat of silicone to help keep the seal in place.  I'm hoping it does the job.  If it leaks, I did get a part number off the seal, and it looks I can find one if I have to..  I still have another small leak that I can find no trace of where it's coming from...

Got the front bumper together and installed..

frntbmpr.jpg

I had a broken hood release cable, and I ordered a cheap Thai replacement off ebay.  It was very cheap, and so was the quality.  I'm headed over to Control Cables in Santa Fe Springs tomorrow, and plan on ordering a heavy-duty cable.  I also have a choke cable for my Weber carb on order.

Just taking on all these little things one at a time.. 

• Like 4

After talking about this, I went and dug it out.  I think I bought it about 4 years ago knowing I wanted it for the wagon.  It's not the best photo, but it's brand new, and was quite a bit less than what they are now. 

If I didn't find one of these, I would have welded up the holes in the hatch and not have a badge on it at all..

Last wagon badge on eBay australia sold for over $250 AUD.

wgnbdge.jpg

• Like 2

4 Speed trans speedo pinion seals...

Seal: 32709-14600

O Ring: 32710-14600

I am thinking you have a 5 Speed in this but am too lazy to go back and look.  If so, Just post in here what it is out of and I can get you the OEM #'s for the pinion seals.

• Like 1

Thanks Kelly.  It's a 5-spd that people say it's from a Z.  Not sure, but I would assume a 280 or a ZX.  It's a Japanese made seal by NOK.  The number on it is 15.4 and it appears that number will cross reference to other manufacturers.  I didn't look into it terribly long, though. 

Nissan part numbers are always nice to have.  :thumbup:  

4 Speed trans speedo pinion seals...

Seal: 32709-14600

O Ring: 32710-14600

I am thinking you have a 5 Speed in this but am too lazy to go back and look.  If so, Just post in here what it is out of and I can get you the OEM #'s for the pinion seals.

Part #'s are the same for a "Z" 5 speed. Could not locate my ZX catalog so looked at the 810 Maxima 5 speed and same seals also, so I think it would be safe to assume they are the same on "ZX" 5 speed.

Thanks again, Kelly.  I remember reading somewhere that they are (mostly) the same pinion used on most Datsun transmissions.  I remember a discussion about the color of the gear was different depending on the ratio of the pinion.. 

Part #'s are the same for a "Z" 5 speed. Could not locate my ZX catalog so looked at the 810 Maxima 5 speed and same seals also, so I think it would be safe to assume they are the same on "ZX" 5 speed.

choke.jpg

Spent way too much time on these cabling issues.  My Weber carb is a manual choke, and I ended up putting the control on the left side of the radio bezel.  It's a straight shot to where it mounts on the carb, and the knob is easily reached from the driver's seat.

hoodpull.jpg

Just get a custom order hood pull.  No biggie, but this also required way more fab than I had ever imagined.  It DOES work great, and it's substantially better then the cheap-ass repro I bought off ebay.  I had NO idea I would spend SO much time getting it on the car and working right.

wgngrnd.jpg

Set this on the ground and did a "close-enough-for now" alignment on it.  

Photo is "Cuz Wagon".

I still have a slight oil leak somewhere, and I still don't love the feel of the brake pedal quite yet. I'm also resolving my issues with a tunnel-mounted parking brake.  I really dislike the stock 510 parking brake setup.  I think the handle assembly is much too big and bulky.

Anyone need a 510 center console with the shifter boot placed for a Z trans?  :)

• Like 5

If you are looking for a different E brake set up look at a B210.  Mostly the same as a 1200 and will mount on the tunnel.  This is what I did on my wagon.

Wait, didn't I get this idea from you in the first place?   Maybe it was DF.

• Like 1

Wow looks really good. Let’s go to canby this year. Me you and John. And Nelson if he can go.

I'm thinking about it. Probably can't take my car, but may fly in and rent a car. If you guys have interest, and want to split a rental...  

Of course, with us 3 it'll need to be a full size...   ^_^

• Like 2

I was thinking of taking a road trip in my little panel up there.  I sold my Avalanche that I used to tow with, and I would be nervous parking the wagon anywhere along the way, so driving it is out.  I'd take a few days to get there, and a few days back.  I'd like to spend a bit of time in the Bay area, then maybe swing by The Keeper's place, get drunk, and possibly get a tatoo or two, too...

So, we'll see what happens. 

• Like 1

" and possibly get a tattoo or two, too."

Say that 3 times fast, take a shot and repeat until you can't.

But, keep an eye on the Keeper or you may get more than a tattoo. Wink wink nudge nudge, know what I mean?

• Like 2

Damn.  Seems like I always re-invent the wheel.

The parking brake handle I bought didn't work on the tunnel because the driveshaft was too close towards the top.  I started scrounging around the shop, and found a box of Sunbeam Tiger parking brake handles.  On a Tiger, they mount between the driver's seat and driver's side door.

pbrake1.jpg

The handle will work in either LH or RHD cars, so that's a big plus..

In the Tiger, it bolts to the inner rocker panel.  I could have done that, but I would have had to weld plates to the inner rocker, so I came up with using angle iron to fashion a floor mount.  I'll probably weld captive nuts so they bolt up through the floor, or do some threaded plates like my seat mount, so they will bolt down through the floor.

pbrake.jpg

The floor mounting plates clamped to the bench testing for handle action and clearance.  She's all good..

pbrake2.jpg

It's a bit tight, but it fits and will work.  I am also re-routing the cable to the rear axle, deleting one section of the wagon's brake cable.  I'm making a grooved pulley that routes it away from the rear suspension and goes to the rear axle directly.

Kinda hard to drift with it, but that's okay by me.  And obviously, the handle assembly and all the bits will be sand blasted and painted nicely before I install it for good..    

This also means my center console plans are back on for the moment.

• Like 2