anybody know anyhing about 85 ford pickups?

sorry no pics right now the truck was my paw paw's and he gave it to me a few years ago and i think i blew the motor not long afer. it has a 300 inline 6 and a 4 speed manual. what i am wondering is does anybody know if the trans would be able to handle a mild 289 or 302? of course i would have it rebuilt but im just curious what yall think.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trans usually mated for the 302/289 is the T5 (I believe) and the 300 is the T45. ( I think. Don't quote me on that. I haven't dabled with Fords in years)

Like GG said, the you have is the better option. The T5 is known for being weak. They weren't designed to be very tough since they weren't mated to very powerful motors. It's a Borg Warner trans.

Edited by metalmonkey47

The trans usually mated for the 302/289 is the T5 (I believe) and the 300 is the T45. ( I think. Don't quote me on that. I haven't dabled with Fords in years)

Like GG said, the you have is the better option. The T5 is known for being weak. They weren't designed to be very tough since they weren't mated to very powerful motors. It's a Borg Warner trans.

T5s are Chevy GM to be more specific also t5 being weak is a made up fairy tale

This is a buddies truck has been autoxing for 3 years now with the same t5

I like the Ford 300 Straight 6 ,,, A LOT ,,,

I rolled in Bearings ,,, into one this past summer (under truck/Engine inside) ,,, light rattle at start-up is common ,,,

Tranny's are well built ,,, Keep an eye on fluid level and seals ,,, good to go ! slow shifts ,,, you never really see a "wanted" ad for these tranny's in my area ,,

I would suggest to you ,,, find another straight 6 300 cuber ,,, if it's running or any good :)

You'll be looking at flywheels , starters , clutch pressure plate , clutch disc , driveline length , transmission mount , shifter linkage mods ( not bad if 2wd ), input pilot length diameters and depth , etc ( few other things ) ,,, it all = $$$ ,,,, that is unless you have a donor rig :)

whatever you decide to do ,,, the straight-6 300ci is awesome in my book !!! Had a friend get 276,000 + on his ,,,, talked to another guy that putted around with 365,000 on his ,,, ( both 5-spds ) food for thought

Good Luck on your decision !

• Like 1

T-5 = 305ci Camaro/Firebirds

T-5 = 1985 Fox Body Ford Mustang ? to 94-95 mustang ( World Class ,,, and Non-World Class in this category for Mustangs !!! )

T-5 = Turbo 280zx that I can think of ?

IDK the rest ,,, :unsure:

:)

Nowadays ,,, everyone will call anything a T-5 ,,, watch-out !!! if unsure ,,, carry a serial numbers identifier list ,,, and a pattern diagram ,,, that lays out specific unique factors identifiable to the trained eye ,,, :)

( I have printed out ,,, and checked serial numbers on "World Class Fox Body" T-5's before ,,, for craigslist sales ,,, VERY ,,, glad I did ,,, )

T5 this .............

T5 that................

It probably has a T18 or T19 trans not a T5 ....wink.gif

And that trans was put into trucks as large as F350s so a 150 with a 302 should not be a problem..

Also whats a later stock 302 put out 110 hp ....maybe

yea guys it is a bourg warner i forgot to mention that..the main reason i don't want a 300 6 anymore is because i'm not going to use it as a work truck. i was going to save up some money and fix it back up to appear factory with a mild 289 crate engine in it so it will sound good easing through the gears just as a cruiser that i can romp on once in a while and have it let out an awesome sound. the 300 is a good engine for pulling stuff but i don't see it giving me what i want. well thanks for the replies guys

Ford has not made a 289 since about 1969? It was replaced with a 302.

The 302 V-8 has about a 3 inch stroke. The 300 six has about a 4 inch stroke. Both engines have about the same bore. The 300 six is a torque monster.

You have a truck. A large truck. It needs the torque to move it. I have driven a Ford 150 with a 302 in it. My Aerostar has more balls.

The 302 is a short stroke engine. It is a great engine for a car. If you had a Mustang, I would strongly suggest you put a 302 in it. But you have a full sized truck.

I have two Ford pickups. A 1966 F-250, it had a 352, the engine was rebuilt as a 410. I also have a 1974 F-250 Supercab, that truck has a 390 in it.

If you really, really have to have a V-8, go with a 351, or maybe a 429, or 460. Not a short stroke 302.

But I still think the best choice for the truck is the engine that is in it, the 300 six. I believe Ford was still using the engine in 1995, a pretty long run for an engine from the 1960's

Here, go to the bottom of this Wiki, and read about the 300 six.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Straight-6_engine

I agree completely with Daniel C. and GGzilla ,,, I have driven these trucks quite a bit ,,, 1992 and 1993 Ford F-150 300ci + 5spd ,,,

6 quart oil capacity in new ones ,, and 7 bearing ? main crank ! love it ! replaced bearings in one this past summer ,,, clean as a whistle ,,, :)

IMHO V8 minimum = 351w ,,, 460 for ford if hauling ( un-realistic because of gas prices now really )

But I do respect your decision to work with what you have/want :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a '66 f-100 and an '83, both with 300's. The '66 however is bored out, big cam, roller rockers, offenhauser intake w/ holley 4-barrel, and 2 piece ceramic long tube headers. Also has a wide ratio toplaoder 4 speed and ford 9 inch rear end. It will DESTROY a 289 and it sounds sooo cool.......keep the sixer it will do what you want