How do you install a stock tach?

motavated

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Installing a stock tach in a 74 truck is not a plug and play deal. You will have to actually wire it in. Starting in 75 or 76 i think, all the truck got wired for the tach, the connector is taped to the harness right behind the tach spot.

Jason

Installing a stock tach in a 74 truck is not a plug and play deal. You will have to actually wire it in. Starting in 75 or 76 i think, all the truck got wired for the tach, the connector is taped to the harness right behind the tach spot.

Jason

My 74 620 tach is as said by yello620 with a fuse connector at the coil. good luck. :fu:

Yeah I figured that. So do you use a fuse when connecting it to the coil? I'm going to install it and I'll ask more questions if and when I get lost...

I just want to make it clear that it's not a fuseable link just a fuse link like the one when putting in a stereo. :D

• 5 months later...

Ok more questions since I'm about to install it. Fuse goes to the negative coil right? Does the power one need a fuse too? And were can I get power for the lights? I want to be able too dim them... Those two lights have 4 wires, 2 wires each light. Is one power and the other ground? Can I just hook it up directly to the dimmer? Thanks!

Installing a tach or clock is by far the most FRUSTRATING thing to do on a Datsun truck. I put a tach in Choptana about 2 months ago and a clock in My stocker on Thursday. I'm not talking here about the wiring hookup, but the physical instillation using the 3 small screws and the retaining bolt. With the airducts connected it is VERY FRUSTRATING to install. Here is what I discovered on the LAST SCREW of 6 total between two trucks. I just could NOT get it in place and it kept dropping on the floor as I was lying on My back under the dash. Finally after trying like 15 times, I climbed out and went looking for a plastic hose. I keep an old piece or two of hospital oxygen hose to syphon gas and also bleed brakes without brake fluid going everywhere. I checked if the hose would fit over the phillips screwdriver and also if I could cram the head of the screw into the hose slightly. THIS TRICK WILL SAVE YOU MUCH FRUSTRATION!! The screw fit tightly inside so I cut a 2" section of the hose. I then slid the hose with the screwhead in the end over the phillips screwdriver and guess what, the screw went where it was supposed to on the FIRST TRY!!!! If only somebody had told Me about that trick!! Between both trucks I figure I "wasted" at least an hour and a half trying to get those screws in place. Hope this helps!!

Don't forget too to disconnect Your battery or at the least, remove any jewelry like rings to prevent shock.

Installing a tach or clock is by far the most FRUSTRATING thing to do on a Datsun truck. Don't forget too to disconnect Your battery or at the least, remove any jewelry like rings to prevent shock.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that handy when I'm done....