Project Duct Tape - jinx3's 1971 Datsun 510

jinx3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fisch, well I'm sure you will do a great job, and you are lucky to have family that does this stuff for a living!

Thanks turbo510, and welcome to Ratsun (I'm new here as well). I see you are also in Vancouver, let me know if you need an extra hand with anything. I would love to see pics of your 510, maybe start a project thread when you have time. Yeah, I got my 510 in December and work on it as time and money allows. Wish I had more of both biggrin.gif.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive feedback keeper, Bre620, and Dirttrack510!

Spent some more time gutting the remainder of the engine compartment. I also stripped most of the interior as well. I need to pull the windshield next and then the dash skeleton. Everything else is pretty much gutted. I also removed the raw piece of steel that the PO screwed over the passenger side floor boards, which covered a hole in the floor, but caused more rust. blink.gif I have another one of those in the trunk... a surprise for another day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am still working away and gathering parts for the car.

20120204_0001.jpg

I have almost completely gutted the interior. I need to pull the windshield before I can get the dash skeleton out - there are some screws that need some persuasion to remove.

20120204_0003.jpg

I tore up the "patch panel" on the passenger side which just promoted more rust.

20120204_0002.jpg

I scrapped off this amazing metal replacing material that the PO used instead of taking the time to fix it right. Notice the clean cut for the shifter hole. I have a longtail 5-speed that will be going in, so I will get this cleaned up.

20120209_0001.jpg

I got a rear bumper and the brackets for both the front and the rear. Both bumpers will need a little TLC, but I have them. I will probably powder coat both of them chrome.

20120212_0003.jpg

I pulled the entire front suspension and cross member so I could finish cleaning up the front end.

20120212_0001.jpg

Getting cleaned up, and removing any rust that I find... probably overkill, but better safe then sorry.

20120212_0002.jpg

The patched side all cleaned up. It actually looks even better then this now.

20120216_0001.jpg

And I just picked these up - front ZX struts/brakes/calipers and rear rotors and calipers. They have surface rust, but the rotors are new and everything had been gone through and refreshed. And a new brake master cylinder. For once this guy was nearby so I didn't have to drive far. Downside is once I step up to these my stock steelies aren't going to fit.

20120216_0002.jpg

I also got the whole e-brake assembly - I may use this instead of the 510 version. We will see once I get to this point.

I also picked up a gallon of epoxy primer. My goal is to have the front end of the car in epoxy primer in 2 weeks - should be able to do that. Then I will move on to the interior, and get the floors patched up. I plan to do the engine compartment using bedliner material tinted to match the final car color so it will be durable but not look like an afterthought. Now I just need to make a final decision on car color.

Do I go bold with the orange car I have always wanted?

Or do I go with something lower key lint a mint blue?

I am a little concerned I might get tired of the bright color (or maybe attract the police). Feedback/thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks skyblue521 and Beelzebub!

Yeah, I need to post some updates and pics on my build thread. This weekend I removed the rear suspension - pretty much everything is removed from the shell at this point. I setup tarps in my garage to start doing some sandblasting - hopefully I can contain some of the mess.

I went and cut out a drivers side rear floor pan, trans tunnel, and trunk floor from h5wagon's donor car last week. That should cover all the major panels I need to replace. There will still be some small patches.

And Z chopper - I have redecided on orange. I am thinking Competition Orange, which was used on some newer fords, but I will check out Orange crush and see how it compares.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So yeah, I really wasn't able to get the metal and rust clean enough with scraping and wire wheels and decided it really needed to be sandblasted. If anyone has done much sandblasting they know how messy and slow it is. Even though I put up tarps in the garage to try and contain the mess the media ended up everywhere.

3343_Datsun510_103.jpg

3344_Datsun510_104.jpg

These pics shows the before and after of the bottom. You can see my "poor man's rotisserie" in a few pics.

3346_Datsun510_106.jpg

A piece of plastic fell into the sandblaster and worked it's way down to the ball valve. That ended up causing a hole to get eaten into the side of the valve.

3356_Datsun510_116.jpg

3357_Datsun510_117.jpg

3358_Datsun510_118.jpg

Bottom all sandblasted.

3361_Datsun510_121.jpg

3362_Datsun510_122.jpg

3364_Datsun510_124.jpg

Problem Areas.

3363_Datsun510_123.jpg

And my one good floorpan.

So I finally rolled the car outside to blow it off multiple times and to clean the garage. Still have more to do, but excited to be able to walk out there without ending up with white powder all over your clothes. Here are some pics of the car after media blasting:

3553_Datsun510_126.jpg

In case anyone is interested, the quarter circles and 2' x 8' are a cheap rotisserie and make it so you can roll the car on it's side. I did find out that it needs bracing. Another 2' x 8' going the length of the car to tie the two pieces of plywood together would probably be enough. Like this the plywood wanted to flex out... Regardless it did it's job. I will use it again to prime/and spray bedliner on the bottom of the car. Here is a link from where I found the idea: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44539&showall=1

3554_Datsun510_127.jpg

3555_Datsun510_128.jpg

3556_Datsun510_129.jpg

3557_Datsun510_130.jpg

3558_Datsun510_131.jpg

3559_Datsun510_132.jpg

3560_Datsun510_133.jpg

3561_Datsun510_134.jpg

3562_Datsun510_135.jpg

3563_Datsun510_136.jpg

3564_Datsun510_137.jpg

3565_Datsun510_138.jpg

3566_Datsun510_139.jpg

3567_Datsun510_140.jpg

3568_Datsun510_141.jpg

3569_Datsun510_142.jpg

3571_Datsun510_144.jpg

The car is actually looking pretty good. Now onto a whole bunch of rust repair...