Project Duct Tape - jinx3's 1971 Datsun 510

jinx3

Well I have been a fan of 510's for a long time, and have almost bought one a couple times. Well, as of Saturday I drove out to Canby, OR and picked up this project. I bought it from a nice guy that no longer had room to work on it and needed it gone. He had torn it apart to work start and had to piece it together quickly to sell (notice the duct tape and zip ties holding the panels on). It has quite a few of the parts, but I know that there are a few big items (bumpers) that are missing. Still I feel pretty good about it - after trailer rental and licensing I will only have about $500 invested - which isn't bad. It does have a rebuilt L18 in it, new tires and a clean title which was a must. The drivers side front section is the worst spot - I have started hammering it out and have made quite a bit of progress - I will post more pics soon. The floor boards need help also, but nothing some cutting and patching can't fix. I am looking to turn this into a nice daily driver (or regular driver) and plan on doing everything myself.

20111210_0001.jpg20111210_0002.jpg20111210_0003.jpg20111210_0004.jpg20111210_0005.jpg20111210_0006.jpg20111210_0007.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - it is the one from Canby that was on Craiglist. The guy said he had quite a few people stop by and check it out, but once they saw it they left. I guess I am just braver (or dumber) :-)

I look at it like a blank slate - I can make it exactly how I want!

@510Kevin - thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. I know this will be a learning experience, but I will work on one part at a time and keep making progress.

I have been reading the Ratsun forums for the last week or so and impressed by the Ratsun crew. Definitely a lot of knowledge in the community - plus it is cool that there appear to be quite a few people around the portland area.

that thins is mangled. going to take a few thousand hours of body work. ask me how i know. rustina started with something similar. but was too much and got a 510 in better shape. whats the plan? ratty, ok looking, or show car. kevin is offering to help out. im local in vancouver. good luck

Well, I have been working on that front corner, which is definitely the worst part of the car. I am making progress, but still have a ways to go.

Before:

20111211_0001.jpg

20111211_0002.jpg

20111211_0003.jpg

Today:

20111213_0001.jpg

20111213_0002.jpg

20111213_0003.jpg

With some patching, welding, and more hammering I should be able to get pretty close. Even if it isn't perfect, none of this will show...

Anyone have any recommendations for a budget sandblaster? I am thinking of just picking up one from harbor freight. I looked at renting one and it cost $70 for a day - figure I might as well just buy one for a little more so I'm not rushed.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here is a quick update - I have been working on it. This is definitely a learning experience.

I have the front corner nearly completed. Thanks again Josh for the front corner, it would have been a real challenge to get the one I had looking decent. It is looking much better now!

On the trip up to get the front corner from Josh I got a couple front bumpers from Patrick in Renton . One has nice chrome, but some pretty bad dents, the other is pretty straight, but the chrome is okay. I should be able to make one work for the car.

I also scored a ton of parts off someone on craigslist - basically everything that was taken off a 71 4 door which was later scrapped. I think it was like 6 big boxes of parts and for pretty cheap too. So I got a few needed parts like a radiator, wiper arms, headlight assemblies, headliner bows, and plenty of spare parts for me to pick the best of. I got a dash pad with only one crack in the center instead of the one I have which has a bunch.

And last night I met up with DTP and got a set of floor pans from him (thanks again). Those will come in handy when removing the thin rust covered swiss cheese floors that I currently have now.

I'll get some pics up soon - maybe tonight.

Okay, here are some pics:

Cut the worst part out of the fender and core support:

20120107_0001.jpg

20120107_0002.jpg

Cut up the new piece to match. Cut test fit, repeat 100 times...

20120107_0003.jpg

Here is how it sits now. I still need to weld the bottom edge, and do more grinding, but it is getting there. I am happy with how it is turning out. I started with this area since it was the worst part of the car AND honestly it's not a biggie if it isn't perfect, no one is going to see most of it.

20120112_0001.jpg

20120112_0002.jpg

20120112_0003.jpg

20120112_0004.jpg

Some more welding, grinding and a little hammer and dolly work and I'll have this corner all buttoned up!

• Like 3

Got the front corner all welded up. Still a bit of cleanup to be done, but I am happy with how it is looking.

20120121_0001.jpg

20120121_0002.jpg

20120121_0003.jpg

I hammered out the fender roughly and got it close. Put the hood on which needs some work also.

20120119_0001.jpg

Had to cut out part of the underlying hood structure in order to get the hood hammered out.

20120119_0002.jpg

20120119_0003.jpg

20120119_0004.jpg

Here is how the hood and fender look now. I think the hood looks pretty good, but the fender need a lot more work.

20120119_0005.jpg

20120119_0006.jpg

20120119_0007.jpg

20120119_0008.jpg

My two two front bumpers I picked up.

20120119_0009.jpg

Replacement floor pans to be put in soon.

20120119_0010.jpg

Slow and steady I am making progress...

Most excellent. +1 for going to such extents to save a dime!! I am about to get some QP patches that will need some hammer work before they can be installed, you make me think I can handle it! You going to weld the hood support back in?

Thanks fisch. Yeah I will weld the hood support back in. First I need to get it hammered back to where it should be - it was pretty rounded over on the front edge from when it was hit.

You can handle some QP patches! I'm just a rookie at this and I'm sure you have a lot more experience then me.

Thanks fisch. can handle some QP patches! I'm just a rookie at this and I'm sure you have a lot more experience then me.

LOL folks often think I have a lot of experience, because I have 3 datsuns, Ive been here so long, and post so much, but the reality is I am way more visual than mechanical! I don't even have a welder, but thankfully have a cousin and bro-in-law that both restore classics for their job. But I'd like the the metal straight before I bring it to them to weld in!