my dads 68 firebird

as you all know my dad owns a 68 firebird well the time has come we have started gathering parts and getting ready to get some work done

what were working with

0206111345.jpg

dadsbird.jpg

when it looked good (pic of a pic sorry)

IMAG0112.jpg

parts we have collected thus far

new(er) 400

IMAG0110.jpg

new th400

IMAG0111.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone want to make a 383 out of a 400? I mean aside from class racing that limits engine size. After all there is not substitute for cubic inches. Whatever you can do to hop up a 383 you can do the same to the 400. The rod/stroke ratio has a minor effect compared to the extra 17 cubic inches.

Anyways, looks like a fun project. The ponys just want to run free once again.

nice bird, got any pic's of the interior. Just wondering, whats the engine codes on the right front of the block and the casting #'s on the rear and head code and casting #'s. There also should be a date code on the rear of the blk, it will be the one that looks like a screw on each side of a letter/ numbers.

If your looking for some Pontiac / Firebird parts, let me know what your dad needs. I got a few friends into the Firebirds. One of them scored a very rare bird found in a barn, not to far from me, if you would like, I'll see if he will let me take a few pic's of his collection.

Here's a pic of one owners 67 bird.

IMG_7062.jpg

Great looking car , some great family history too! ... Keep us posted!

My grandfather bought a green 67 Firebird convt. new, we have lots of pics.

I think within the first three months it was totaled, someone broad-sided it.

No one was hurt, just a couple of crunched cars out of the accident.

nice bird, got any pic's of the interior. Just wondering, whats the engine codes on the right front of the block and the casting #'s on the rear and head code and casting #'s. There also should be a date code on the rear of the blk, it will be the one that looks like a screw on each side of a letter/ numbers.

If your looking for some Pontiac / Firebird parts, let me know what your dad needs. I got a few friends into the Firebirds. One of them scored a very rare bird found in a barn, not to far from me, if you would like, I'll see if he will let me take a few pic's of his collection.

Here's a pic of one owners 67 bird.

IMG_7062.jpg

which engine do you want these codes from the one in it or the one were putting in it

the engine your installing. Whats the Turbo 400, a short or long shaft. Hard to tell by the pic. If you could also get, there should be a ID tranny plate on the right side plus how many dimples on the bottom of the pan.

just from the color of the block, it looks to be from late 70's, early 80's plus the intake has a spot where the EGR mounts. This is just a guess for now.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow another Pontiac dude here at Ratsun! I am a Pontiac fanatic!!! Like the car! Looks good!! what are your plans for the motor? let me know, as i've got some stuff..Have a set of hard to find 69' ramAir IV 722 castingsRound Port heads..Virgins no porting at all but bare/no valves or springs..but very nice condition! Also have a set of 16 D ports these are 68' models.ported out by Pete McArthy himself stainless valves 2.11/1.77 valvesw/springs. Cut down main 455 cranks to fit directly into the 3.0" main 400 blocks, for stroker motor build. Scat rods with CP dish pistons for 8.5 compression these are 30 over forgies for a 455 ci in a 400 block..ran this crank combo w/ ported 330cfm edelbrocks solid roller cam in a 69' streetGoat.. N/A with the blower belt "torn off" it went 11.90's..blowthru Carb'd and 10.5's at 128 mph with alittle ATI P600b blower. These motors are BAD ASS when done up right! My cousin had a 68 just like yours, that is what sold me after a ride in his as a teenager we were 15 at the time! His would lay rubber all the way down the road in 3rd and 4th gear easily M21 Muncie tranny!! He never lost a street race either..Beat my 720 truck with a SBC in it too! those were the days! Sorry for the long rant...but just brought me back!

shit just got real

3F33A6B4-orig.jpg

3F8E5DD2-orig.jpg

we also discovered that this is a NUMBERS MATCHING CAR! so the new plan is just say fuck it and rebuild the stock motor and trans the ones we had accumulated will probably find there way into my truck