My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know this is an old thread ,but i have a question about the dizzy used in the ka swap.i have a dizzy out of a 78 datsun L20B what have i got to do to fit it in the timing cover of the ka?any help is appreciated .right noe this is my only stubbling block and where do you get a new electronic module like the one bolted onto the side of the dizzy?

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
Posted (edited)

oh man, its been a while since ive updated this.. 

dang, where do i start.. theres a been a lot thats changed since 2018 both with the truck and personally. got divorced, moved out of the house i bought, rented rooms for a few years. moved to salt lake city in 2020. also wrecked the truck in 2020 at a drift event. ill get into that. took a few rv tech jobs, did some mobility installs at a place for a year. ive been doin fab work at kindigit design for the last year. its weird, but im on tv sometimes hahaha. 

i think the last engine the truck had in it in this post was the carbed twin cam KA. that engine went on to blow a head gasket after i put the holley carb from the last page on it. ran pretty good with the holley, but once the head gasket let go, i pulled that twin cam and put the fuel injected single cam KA from the 411 project in it. nando and i did that swap in a weekend with a homemade can am box. found out that engine has a rod knock and some other shit wrong with it. that single cam got some rod bearings and went on to do great things hahaha. 

ive only got pictures up till like 2020, but ill piece it together hopefully. 

still had the injected single cam at this point. this was before moving to utah on a utah visit for a little private event. jumped the truck a bunch of times that day.. super fun

rOAMVAF.jpg

move forward a year or two, im doin rv tech as work and makin money, so i boosted the truck.. went thru a few iterations of the engine internals till we got a good forged setup in it. ran pretty good, but the fun was short lived. 

dRI1NfK.jpg

Edited by Farmer Joe
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

drove the boosted setup for a bit, took it to a drift event and didnt drive it home. it was a bummer.

ds7z3pK.jpg

SL2eDBU.jpg

tpuIvup.jpg

weAN9pq.jpg

folded it up pretty good.. bent the frame at the rear behind the notches, and smoked the bed. did put a dinger in the one corner of the cab, but its fixable. 

GpFBJd5.jpg

i did end up with another frame for the truck tho. got an 83 720 frame from another part out a buddy was doin. 

CE8j6qj.jpg

Edited by Farmer Joe
  • Like 1

at that point i scrapped the rest of the truck and the cab is the only thing left from the original farmer joe build.. 

buuuuut, i built the new chassis. did this one up with a four link, did some triangulated lower control arms. its got load jackers on the from suspension for the coil spring setup. im still plannin on building a set of tubular uppers for it here this year./ 

d0Ll4OL.jpg

W3mCJp4.jpg

IwG3Pvy.jpg

b2zYrsf.jpg

• Like 2

and from that point i moved to utah. welded the frame up enough to not fall apart on the trip to utah on the trailer. 

XEsZCMT.jpg

this is kinda the current look of the truck, just tucked away in the shop. my lease is up next march, so this year is the year of revival. 

plan is to get it back to runnin, drivin condition. there was a plan at one point to put a 5.3 and a z32 five speed in it, but i traded that stuff off for a redblock volvo engine and some money.. 

sooo, its getting an 84 b23 from a 240 with a 96+ borgwarner t5 trans behind it... and a turbo 

the frame needs final welded. i need to get my coilovers for the rear suspension mounted and then i can clean the frame up and paint it. once the frame and all the control arms are done, its time to put it back together. ive got another bed for the truck waitin outside the shop. gonna do a american auto wire harness in it and run a microsquirt for the engine. should be pretty simple setup. gonna put 4x4 hardbody brakes back on the front and keep the stock rearend for the time being. 

should be pretty cool once its goin again.. 

ill try and keep this guy updated a little bit more.. 

• Like 2

looking good neil. Glad to see you are doing well. Hope to see some updates on your truck soon. A lot of nostalgia for me seeing photos of it, would love to see it road worthy again. 

• Like 3