My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job farmer!  how is the carb on top end?  Plenty of power?  What carb are you running?

the carb seems good to go on the top end..  

its a weber 38 38 synchro..

from idle to 5k its got plenty of power, and then just falls on its face at 5k.. granted thats a pretty good rpm range, but the 248 cams should let it run up to 6500-7000 while still making power... 

my money is on the valve springs. i used the truck valve springs when i rebuilt the head, and im pretty sure theyre super wimpy and dont like that i have the big cams paired up with em. 

im eventually gonna swap some springs in it, and see if it performs any better past 5k. if it doest, time to update the spark and fuel.. 

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

welp, time to update...

0POwasqh.jpg

put some new gauges in it.. the old oil pressure gauge was on its last legs.. it would only read up to 40psi, so it got me to wonderin. new one works just right. and the volt gauge is nice to have..

btDHTnzh.jpg

QtgJcn8h.jpg

6p55Yqph.jpg

and now for the good stuff.. 

got the holley carb from my buddy that im going to use..

71tJ3RFh.jpg

jWRguteh.jpg

the plan is it to do a blow through setup..

this is gonna be a bit later, but for now im gonna build another adapter plate to run this carb NA, and then itll be ready for when i boost it. 

ive found cast turbo manifolds for around $90, t04e for $130, waste gate and blow off for $60 each, and then there will be the other supporting small stuffs. 

going to try and setup a mechanical boost timing controller on the matchbox. i want to use a wastegate pot to move the advance plate in the dist when it pulls up onto boost. 

got some family stuff that might tie up a little bit of the funds, but im gonna get to it after the canby trip.. 

more to come...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

holy shit, its canby crunch time... 

spent a little money on the truck this time.. 

got all new tie rod ends. theyll all be here tomorrow. 

gonna get the truck up in the air and get the steering blown apart. 

also going to get the trans pulled and start swapping the C type in that i got from the 240sx engine for the 411. 

and then im going to get the coil springs done in the front since it will be up in the air and apart. 

probably going to put balljoints in it too. 

more to come here on thursday. 

• Like 3

alrighty..

had a productive day.. 

all the steering rod ends are replaced! its never had the center link ends done before..

i need to get it redneck aligned, and we'll be good... as long as its not wearing tires funny, we're good.

and then this happend...

IJ8YqQWh.jpg

and this...

H8VccQ0h.jpg

ive driven it a little, and its a great improvement to have some spring rate in the front.. 

issue im running into, is with the 4x4 shocks i have, im seeing that the shock body hits the square tube spacer when it bottoms out.. so, im gonna pick up either a set of stock 620 front shocks or some pinto shocks. all in all, im happy with the way its tuning out, and im gonna finish up some little things on the coil setup next week.

its a little taller in the front now, but with the new shocks, we can play around with the ride height.. 

IjMKs4qh.jpg

more to come...

• Like 6

okie doke... 

got the shocks figured out. went with a set of stock datsun 620 units.. they work great. if anything they could be a bit stiffer to go with the spring rate, but whatever. 

with doing that, i was able to get my suspension travel and adjustability back.. 

heres what i have it lookin like now... 

no more wheel arch gap... 

SIUBizth.jpg

0QMa7xvh.jpg

still have all the travel it used to, and it rides soo nice with some actual springs now.. 

so with that as it needs to be, im gonna get the trans swapped next and then its just little stuff after that before canby..

• Like 3

mkay, spent all day workin on the truck... 

got the L-series 5 speed out, and the s13 box in... it was kind of a bitch, but its in. angelia helped me bleed the clutch.. its super stiff. im gonna need a new master cylinder.. this one is struggling with this new pressure plate. 

V1yBMd2h.jpg

i had to cut more than i wanted to, but unless i pulled the engine, it wasnt going in any other way. 

OfI3OZ1h.jpg

and with the s13 shifter, it seems pretty good. buuut, i think im gonna cut the top off the s13 shifter and graft my l-series on it.. 

Gk29V9Jh.jpg

found that the 411 driveline is too short. soo im gonna have to figure out something else...

also have the grill off to fix he core support thats kinda vibrated itself apart..

4lt8C8Hh.jpg

this is what its supposed to look like.. since dad fixed this fronted with one from another parts truck, it doesnt have the bumper support a normal 620 does... sooo, we have this. 

KlDdQiNh.jpg

this is what im going to weld up tomorrow to strengthen it up a little bit, and hopefully it doesnt fall apart again. 

fJ9msGRh.jpg

got a bunch to do in the mornin... have to weld up the core support, finish the trans crossmember, put the battery in the bed, and some other random stuff.. 

more to come...

• Like 3

Need more license plates to cover the gap? Got a couple Utah and Idaho ones lying around.

ive had a stack on the shelf for a good while... figured it was time to use a couple up..

sooo, i got the truck done.. 

the clutch master cylinder went bad in short manner after using it with the new clutch.. 

i have this on order now.. http://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-260-6764-Bore-Master-Cylinder/dp/B003XVHQPA?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=ya_st_dp_summary

hopefully this will work better than the datsun ones..

main things today were the driveline and the core support..

did a little measuring and came up with this guy..

crTYk6Ph.jpg

yeah, i know, its not shop done, but its spot on and i dont have any vibration that i can feel from it. turned out great. 

the core support turned out pretty well too. its right back to being sturdy like it needs to be. 

CC8A20Mh.jpg

then we got the floor done.. took a couple hours, but its good to go too. 

2U5zNGlh.jpg

jHZNL0Ah.jpg

and then i saw this neat datsun... 

anijJcWh.jpg

i gotta wait for the new clutch master to come in, and then we will be canby ready, done deal, ready to go!!!

more to come..

• Like 3

well, good and bad news... 

good news is, the truck is driving and pretty much done for canby..

bad news is, i threw $55 away with that master cylinder. 

long into short is, i ran into issues getting a line that would work with the fitting the new cylinder used. secondly, i punched a hole in the reservoir when i bolted it on the truck...

so, its wasted, and sitting in the trash bucket..

but Felix came by, saw i needed a clutch master and grabbed his old one from his Z..

jammed that guy on there, bled it myself and we're done for now. 

it drives pretty well with this clutch setup.. with a hydraulic system that works, its not that bad to get it off the line and whatnot.. ill have to get a video today. 

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well time for an update.. 

gotta dig back a way on my phone to find pics and whatnot... lol

truck did fine for the canby trip. only thing that happened truck wise, was i left the oil cap off when i left the gas station once.. but that was right as we left so it wasnt bad. 

the tags on it are expired again as of the end of october, so i need to get that registered. but i was gonna chuck some gas in it and get the go pro out and get a new video here today..

guess the big thing thats been holding up most of the updates was i moved again.. bought a house actually.. 

YRMUuHwh.jpg

its quite good to have a place of your own.

finally settling in after the move and whatnot, so ive had a little time here and there to work on the truck. 

i cleaned and re-hung the door panels on the 620..

EVxrqzrh.jpg

turned out pretty good.. 

umm, what else....

i cleaned up the frontend a bit.. deleted the high beam buckets. some fresh paint. new screws for the grille. 

46rQeLJh.jpg

7RkBi0yh.jpg

thats really about it for the 620... 

ive been putting a bit of time into this guy....

0qpgOW4h.jpg

tDcsFcKh.jpg

85 720, z24 5 speed 4wd.. got it for $700 and it just needed a headgasket.. 

angelia and i have been goofin off with the 720 for the last couple weekends.. that and ive been doing yard work like a mofo too.. the 720 is super handy for trips to the dump. we just power raked and leveled out the front yard at the new place to put down new seed, and we took almost a tons worth of material out. 

thats aboot all for now i suppose..

heres a few newer pictures...

joYIwIAh.jpg

b0QdCsVh.jpg

bBIsxP1h.jpg

a1I55Zih.jpg

uPYEhUMh.jpg

• Like 3