crackerjack's goon

It will stay auto for now. My goal is to get it running and roadworthy asap. Then I'll worry about how I'm gonna break it. Need carb, need to drain fuel tank and inspect. Need to have exhaust made. Need a new rear tire, and to fix the locked rear driver side drum (any tricks or advice on this?) Need a battery. Should run after all that. Then paint, mod the AM radio to play mp3, and get the hatch to open and fix the cancer in there. At least this is the plan.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol. I killed my auto in two weeks :(

the rear drum, your fucked on that dude :lol: jk.  Pull the tire off, you should see two threaded holes on the drum. Just put some bolts in there and wrench them down, pop the drum off.  Throw on some new shoes, run some finer sand paper around the drum, off you go!

PS, the threaded holes in the drum. Same size/thread pitch as intake/exhaust bolts. Get er done :D  Oh yeah, if you need a hand swapping to dogleg lemmy know :rofl: it ain't that bad.  Been driving 2+ weeks on my swap problem free!  It's really not that bad..  Long as it drives now, you can do that later after you collected parts.

• Like 1

The fluids are all really clean, low miles car, all maintenance records in the glove box. I figure let it alone for now. I've never driven an auto datto though, it may end up bugging me to the point of swapping. This rig will be used for runs between Canada-ish and PDX. Needs to stay reliable. I have a bad habit of taking working cars apart and losing interest after. Not gonna happen on this rig at least for a while. More pics as I dig in further tomorrow, and clean her up a bit. I'm stoked! This car is sweet already. Can't wait to paint. Probably matte orange, or an olive green. Likely get rid of the dogdishes and paint the wheels flat or gloss black. If anyone wants to come over, I'd welcome the help. Score yourself some free stickers for helping me out :D

motor oil could have been used in an attempt to prevent rust in the tank, I have heard of stranger things. Or could the fuel sludged up to the point of looking like motor oil, after all it has sat for awhile.

I thought perhaps they were trying to preserve the fuel tank. Not sure. I don't think it's gas, it has the viscosity, color, and smell of motor oil. Wouldn't varnished gas be thinner and have a sour smell. Oh btw, there's quite a bit, I had to hurry and put the plag back in. Made a bit of a mess. Ima go put a pan under there and drain it out. Any ideas on how to flush it out?

Jack the car up. Pull the tank man. It's a little pain but you don't want to run whatever it is thru your motor.

I'd drain it, pull it, put a gallon of gas in it, swish it all around, dump, repeat two more times.

Someone may have a better solution.

Gas will cut thru all that shit and remove it. Rinsing with water or some hokey shit wouldn't. Even if so, I wouldn't trust it. Plus with it out you can see inside of it.

• Like 1

Made some progress today.

Got the LR wheel off

LRwheel_zps20158370.jpg

Probably gonna need a couple new studs and some lugnuts.

Looks like the LR drum is gonna come apart without a fight, we'll see about the bleeder though.

LRdrum_zps519168e4.jpg

Wanted to get the spare off and mount on the LR, but it's seized pretty bad. Will probably cut the chain.

spare_zpsce295228.jpg

Removed what was left of the exhaust and muffler.

exhaust_zps3a79e0d0.jpg

Cool OEM locking gas cap. Lock cylinder was seized, had to break it a little.

cap2_zps81973dfa.jpg

cap1_zps21e78117.jpg

Washed it a bit, got all the green shit off the glass. All the windows go up and down good.

driverside_zpscb9ea292.jpg

Drained out all the bad gas in the tank. Gotta flush it real good, there's a lot of gunk. Next up getting ahold of a working carb, finish flushing the fuel system, and hook up a battery see if she'll start. Then fill up the brake master, replace brake pads, and hope the bleeders don't all snap off.

They didn't look toooo bad in the pics?

Vise grip on the bleeder thing.  Just get it set right the first time so it doesn't strip it!

I used a giant screw driver, and also the flat end of a tire iron to bust the adjusters loose, then unbolted from the car and re-greased them. 

• Like 1

I bit off more than I could chew with the brown wagon. A lot a fucked up shit happened to me right after I bought it. Bullshit between me and my babie's mamma. Wasn't in the position to put so much energy into a toy. I'm positive Karnutz will take good care of it. This one only cost $100 more, and it's fully complete. I can do this. And I'm keeping the column shift. This car has such low miles and great maintenance, all I wanna do is drive it for now.

• Like 5