crackerjack's goon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fawk, ran out of penetrant. Not good. Anyone have tips tricks for getting the carb nut off, the one on passenger side front? It's the only thing holding me up from getting this junk carb off. Cracked it loose but can't get the wrench on it well enough to turn it.

I set my wrench on the curb and wailed on it with the 4lb hammer. Worked great, got the carb off. IDK what that metal line from the carb to the dizzy is, must be vacuum advance? Anyhow, I was worried it wouldn't come off, but it did. Choke cable and throttle off. Got the carb sittin on the ground right now :D Gently loosened all the bolts for the hood hinges. All but one cooperated. the other I'll wait till I get some more PB Blaster. Not a single bug on the radiator! Got the upper hose and fan shroud off without trouble. Figured the alt would be seized... Nope it spins real nice. Removed the belt. Water pump spins and no play. Glad they drained the coolant before storing the car in 1990. Finally dug in far enough to try and turn the motor by hand, which it does like a dream. Pulled off the fuel pump and filter, will replace both. Cracked the bleeders on the brake master, was worried for no reason. That was stored dry as well. H5 might be coming over with a complete exhaust. There's a tiny but of the old one left on the manifold, I'll have to tackle that when I get more penetrant. Once I swap in a clean tank, carb, and exhaust, should be able to try and fire it up! Dizzy cap super clean, spark plugs pristine. No corrosion whatsoever on the fuse block. I'm very optomistic about getting this on the road. If I still had a job, or any kind of cash, this thing would be running already!

I couldn't believe it. She was a maintenance freak, in to the dealership at least every 6 months according to the records in the glove box. Been busy getting stuff cut for Canby, and preparing for a road trip after, haven't kept this thread current. Well, got the tank out only snapped one bolt. The fill tube looks goods, so that's nice. The tank is fucked. I've got a new one headed here soon, as well as a weber. No complaints so far from the neighbors, if the wind kicks up just right you notice a REAL strong smell comin from that tank sitting under the car. Soon as I sort the fuel system, it'll be time to crank the engine for the first time in 20 years! I think it'll do fine. Then once we get it movin, gotta figure out how to make it stop. Should be alright. Should have her runnin before my Bday. I'll put some more pics up after CANBY!!!!!

Hey Crackerjack, I started a build thread on the orange goon I bought from you. That car is a hell of a lot cleaner than I originally thought it was! Its coming along I hope to have it running/driving by the end of the month. Check it out when you have a chance. Ive done a lot of work to it in the last week or so. Doesn't look like it but I have.

• Like 1

Found some time to start putting the goon together, making a list of things I need from Greasemonkey. Can't wait to drive this thing. I really wanted to buy those gold wheels at Canby to put on :DIMG_20120602_165252-1.jpgIMG_20120602_195147-1.jpgIMG_20120602_165322-1.jpgIMG_20120602_195342-1.jpgIMG_20120602_195357-1.jpgIMG_20120602_195428-1.jpg

I don't know why but I imagined you taller in my head :lol: Yeah what Micro said will do great for some lubing (no homo). That's a nice, original find you have there. Will be following this one.

• Like 1