Mufflers?

Guest DatsuNoob

I went to Pull-A-Part today in Lynnwood, saw lots of 720s. Lots of 2" exhaust.

I could not fine one single good 1.5" muffler for my little Datsun A12 engine. Some of the Civics had them but oddly almost every Civic had the muffler removed. The other cars stilll had thier mufflers...

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i have a muffler question.

does the placement of the muffler make a huge difference?

what if you put it as sson as the pipe drops down like right under the fire wall? would that make it sound quieter cause it would not be running as far unmuffled? or would that cause issues.

i was thinking of getting one made for like a 2000 dodge neon they are really quiet and have a 2.0l i was thinking it might be a good match for my L20B. but i have never understood exhaust systems

I swear the L-16s have the smallest exhaust pipes. I currently have some wierd looking canister type muffler. I will be switching to a dual FART CANNON set up. I will run 2 2" cherry bombs, I have not decided if I will run them inline or split them up for that Ratsun dual exhaust look. lol

Guest DatsuNoob

Good ol' Thrush super turbo. I had one on my first car. It's been my experience that moving the muffler closer to the engine makes for a louder exhaust. I've got a Flowtech Terminator on right now, and it's way too loud. I set off car alarms like crazy. It's one of those ones that can be run either way. Maybe I'll flip it and see if it gets quieter or just get another one.

I have a header into 2 inch to clear the torsion arms then it goes to 2.5. I wish I could run a full 2.5, but there is just no room. I am running a 40 series 2 chamber flowmaster and a turn out in front of my rear driver tire. I hate any fiberglass packed muffler they eventually blow out and sound like ass. I say, like others, run a chambered muffler. There are quite a few choices and each have different sounds. I have heard the hooker aero chamber on a v8 and it sounds nice. Most other companies actually post audio files on their web sites, so you can hear before you buy.

I had a Flowmaster 3 chamber and 2.5" pipe on my truck. It was turned down right before the axle and it was loud as hell. I have since switched to a full 3" pipe with a magnaflow. It is by far much quieter than the flowmaster. I also have a tailpipe on the magnaflow which im sure accounts for why it is quieter. If I was doing a N/A setup would go with a 2" pipe. Anything larger is a waste unless you have a huge cam and the head can flow. Here are some pics.

secondary002.jpg

finished005.jpg

finished001.jpg

finished1002.jpg

That was the exact same thing that I told the man that built the system on Funtana. He told Me "the LONGER glasspack that We can put in there will give You the deepest sound". He was right as He installed 2" pipe up front with a 26" glasspack. Then 2 1/4" (True to fashion on all of the old Fontana trucks) tailpipe with the correct chrome tip as in 1975. Those that have heard it will testify that it is very deep.

Choptana suprized Me. I had NO idea what fishtails were going to sound like. We had to use exactly what You see in the thread to make it work. I was blown away when I first started it. I totally love the sound. It's louder than Funtana but suprizingly deep. A totally one off exhaust system that I love.

i have some "turbo" muffler the old guy at the shop put on for me.. its kinda deep sorta.. in my opinion it sounds stockish.. except with a header no cat no resonater with a 2" exhaust which isnt a bad sound... is it the sound i was going for.. no, but while i had my muffler i was able to be much more sneaky while "gettin on it" which now that my pipe is broken 5-6 inchs from the header an its extremely loud i miss that quiet sneaky sound.. i would like to go with a different sound.. seen some 5inch round magna flow mufflers on ebay that look like they flow pretty well.. but i dont know if i can get away with it as the guy at the shop may consider it as a resonator or something.. maybe i'll have him run it straight out the back an put a ricer chrome tip on an then later cut the other muffler off an put a straight pipe in myself.. thats if i HAVE to doit that way.. altho i am curious how they'd sound together.. but may cause too much back pressure?? /end rant

Good ol' Thrush super turbo. I had one on my first car. It's been my experience that moving the muffler closer to the engine makes for a louder exhaust. I've got a Flowtech Terminator on right now, and it's way too loud. I set off car alarms like crazy. It's one of those ones that can be run either way. Maybe I'll flip it and see if it gets quieter or just get another one.

I had one of those...very nice! I had it on my Ford truck that had a 300ci inline 6 cylinder. If you had a car alarm set...it went off. :lol: You could set your throttle just right and set off car alarms, that was too much fun! :D

Those go for about $50.00, I might consider getting another one.

Thrush mufflers are still available.

Any N/A 2.0 liter street motor will SUFFER from a head pipe larger than 2 inches.1.75 inch tailpipe will work fine.2 inch will only increase noise level.

If you are after every last HP you can get,then Flowmaster is the last muffler you want on your vehicle.If you like the obnoxious sound they make-that's another story.