1972 Datsun 510 Revival

brodster

Yeah, we almost don't have enough to run the cabinet, but we have two run in series to keep it pumping pretty well.  I keep running around looking through our stashes for more shit to blast.  After hand-sanding shit for so long, I'm loving the cabinet! 

We're still waffling on what to use, but after seeing you post that you did yours in the Zero Rust, I brought it up again last night.  We have a quart or two of POR already from our last project shit on our 521, but we really don't want to go through the ENTIRE grueling process if it's not necessary, so we're tempted to go grab a quart of Zero Rust by Friday so we can just knock it out with that.  

I had used the ZR spray on the back floor pans in the "X's" a few months ago, and it was surprisingly durable when we were pulling it off this weekend with the brillo disc.

Decisions, decisions......

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you cant go wrong with por.. but its spendy. If your pans arent really rusted, ZR seems to be a good option. Plus you can choose your color! (I still chose black lol)

Good idea with the series compressors. Maybe i should just find another 26gallon comp and do the same.

I have been playing with Por15 on Alberts celica  and my opinion is Por 15 is overrated ,, it`s just a rubbery covering but it is somewhat advertised as rust converter,,,, but it by itself,, doesn`t convert rust or even stick to it that well...

.....Although if you buy $150. more of their cleaners and metal prep-ers . :hmm: .. As my late 85 year old father-inlaw would say .. "Well piss on that !!"  ........ :sneaky:

We had pretty good results with POR on the 521, but these floorpans are pretty clean at this point.  We do have a few areas that had mild rust, but overall, it's going to be mainly bare metal.  

I have a feeling that we're going to go the Zero Rust route just because it probably isn't worth the multiple steps of the POR..... and right now, we really should work towards getting this shit wrapped up  :lol:

Jay, this one should start appearing at local meets soon,

... and right now, we really should work towards getting this shit wrapped up  :lol:

Cough,cough,bullshit,cough,cough

:lol:

But seriously

:fu:

:sneaky:

lol    :fu:   It's all Brody's fault.  It was running and driving, then Brody decided to strip the entire wiring harness and interior and do all this shit (although it was necessary), and then he's been busy with school..... so the shit's taking WAY longer than it should have.  

yeah nana werent u bringing some by or something ....... thanks tristin....

zero rust is a good product ...also sold that .... works as well ... easier to use not quite as thick ..... but should work good for u

I'm not sure that we need it quite as thick anyway.  I already have a carpet kit, and we're still trying to figure out which sound deadener to get.  So really, we just want a decent rust preventative, and coat to go under the other layers of material.  

yeah nana werent u bringing some by or something ....... thanks tristin....

Yes ,,, and some glass mat ,,,,,,but you never gave me a definite answer.. And it needs to be into a new can cuz,, the lid on the one i got wont seals anymoar.... for tranportation purposes..

warrantyvoidifsealbroken2_zpsa77eaade.jp

that is a single layer of fatmat, with the rear seat pan doubled up over the mufflers. The stang has an H pipe and duel flowmasters so it was loud, its much quieter on the inside, less heat, and over all nice. 

I ordered 100 sq ft and still have an entire roll left so less than 50 Sq ft to do what you see, eventually we will do the doors and truck as well. 

We also POR 15'd the floor too 

599187_339062446167099_127524364_n.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure that we need it quite as thick anyway.  I already have a carpet kit, and we're still trying to figure out which sound deadener to get.  So really, we just want a decent rust preventative, and coat to go under the other layers of material.  

heres a hint there all basically the same product just with a different logo or available size....i have used the high dollar shit ...(meah ) and the ebay stuff fro a few manufacturers and to be honest the cheaper stuff is far more application friendly .....

heres a hint there all basically the same product just with a different logo or available size....i have used the high dollar shit ...(meah ) and the ebay stuff fro a few manufacturers and to be honest the cheaper stuff is far more application friendly .....

Good to hear.  It's hard when trying to just read bullshit reviews online.  I'm pretty sure that at this point, we're going with Zero Rust.  We just need to go pick up a can before the weekend.  

lol.... we've both gone to work for a few days stained with POR  :rofl:

And with the sound deadener.... I don't really care too much about quiet.  Any little bit that the one layer helps, that works for me.  Hell, we don't even have current plans to do the doors or roof, it's just to make it relatively nice and seal all the floors up  :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Whooo!  Some forward progress this weekend!  

BeforeAfter510floor_zps6497b301.jpg

We'll hopefully get to seam-seal and lay the FatMat by the end of next weekend, and get the wiring harness started up, and more parts blasted and repainted for reassembly of this beast.  Every morning when I have to go out and start up the cold L16 in the 521, I'm dreaming of EFI and a 5-speed for my daily commute.... Soon, hopefully

A few more pics of shit that's in the process of getting spiffed up

IMG_2288_zps11248221.jpg

IMG_2345_zps4858dc08.jpg

IMG_2353_zps27d3dda8.jpg

hey thats my foam your laying your parts on there.....lol...floor looks nice....... i been working on my headlight trays and buckets...... i just painted the trays as i didnt wanna fuck with the adjusters/.....hans took his apart and broke all the adjusters now he has none...... i coated the buckets but wi ill have to mod them when my lenses show up anyway....

nice to see some one getting shit done

Haha, yeah, that foam is handy for the freshly painted parts.  Keeps them from sticking to shit, and getting scratched up.  Feel free to send more ;)

The headlight assemblies actually came completely apart pretty easily, but I could see how some might not.