1972 Datsun 510 Revival

brodster

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hoping to drop off the driveline to get rebalanced and new u-joints by Tuesday. In the meantime, I've been finding a little motivation to get off my ass and start getting the car painted.... panel by panel.

I did the fenders, cowling and headlight trim rings a weekend or two ago, and finished up the inner lip that rolls into the engine bay yesterday, and then sanded down and painted the front section today. Now I just need to keep the motivation rolling and get more done before we get this thing rolling daily.... :unsure: It's not anything beautiful, by any means, but it's better than it was, and at this point is about a 5-footer, so I'm okay with that until we can get a real paint job on it.

Fenders.jpg

Front1.jpg

Front2.jpg

Front3.jpg

Annnnddddd..... I got bored sanding last night, so I decided to re-chalk the hood since it was almost completely washed off :D

IMG_1504.jpg

• Like 1

Hoping to drop off the driveline to get rebalanced and new u-joints by Tuesday. In the meantime, I've been finding a little motivation to get off my ass and start getting the car painted.... panel by panel.

I did the fenders, cowling and headlight trim rings a weekend or two ago, and finished up the inner lip that rolls into the engine bay yesterday, and then sanded down and painted the front section today. Now I just need to keep the motivation rolling and get more done before we get this thing rolling daily.... :unsure: It's not anything beautiful, by any means, but it's better than it was, and at this point is about a 5-footer, so I'm okay with that until we can get a real paint job on it.

Fenders.jpg

Front1.jpg

Front2.jpg

Front3.jpg

Annnnddddd..... I got bored sanding last night, so I decided to re-chalk the hood since it was almost completely washed off :D

IMG_1504.jpg

Looks Great! you use a paint gun or is that rattle can? if so what brand black did you use.

Thanks! It's just rattle can for now. We have a spray gun, but our garage is so damn cramped right now, and I don't want to pull everything apart to do it more in bulk, and I feel like that would be the best/easiest way to do it if we were going to gun it. So, I'm just doing little by little with the cans as I can get to it on the weekends.

I'm using Rustoleum Satin Black.

Thanks! It's just rattle can for now. We have a spray gun, but our garage is so damn cramped right now, and I don't want to pull everything apart to do it more in bulk, and I feel like that would be the best/easiest way to do it if we were going to gun it. So, I'm just doing little by little with the cans as I can get to it on the weekends.

I'm using Rustoleum Satin Black.

nice looks great, yeah Rustoleum is good shit for rattle can.

• 3 weeks later...

Just before Thanksgiving we pulled the driveline and I dropped it off at Drivelines NW here in Everett for new u-joints and a rebalance. I picked it up the following Monday, and last weekend we reinstalled it and took it for its first test drive to see if we finally rid ourselves of the vibration in the 30-40 mph range. Sure as shit, we hit 40 and beyond without any issues!! :hyper:

IMG_1518.jpg

The cans that were holding the exhaust manifold to the old exhaust pipe kept slipping off, making it way too loud to keep driving, so we didn't get a chance to get it fully up to freeway speed last weekend. So, I made an appointment to get the exhaust welded up now that things seemed to figured out with the vibrations. Yesterday morning we took it to the exhaust shop, and got 'er done. While on the way over though, Brody was having some issues with rough shifting, so he wanted to check the fluid level again before driving it much more. Being as it was the last week of classes and this week is finals week, he's been busy with lab reports and studying. But, this morning we put the car on jackstands to level it out, checked the tranny fluid level, and adjusted the clutch pedal a little..... and then I was off on the maiden voyage for high speeds on I-5 B) I loaded up our old-man dog and was on my way. No headlights, no turn signals, no tail lights, no wipers...... just brake lights. I froze my ass off with a terrible draft through the car and no heater, but damn it felt good to drive this thing again. The spedo is off, but I hit 95 on it, so I think I was around 75 or so, with smooth shifting and a lovely 5th gear. :)

Things are lookin up! Now to utilize Brody's upcoming winter break and get the wiring dialed throughout the car, and finish painting it..... and maybe even a heater, if I'm lucky :rolleyes:

She looks like she's almost one color with the rain

IMG_1558.jpg

And apparently chalk drawings start looking a little cooler after rain at freeway speeds

IMG_1562.jpg

Then Brody started chipping off the bondo that he slapped on the roof of the car about 10 years ago. :lol: Just more shit to get taken care of in the next few weeks of freedom from school

IMG_1567.jpg

• Like 1

Holy shit. Why so much bondo? Reminds me of my old quarter panels ....

Haha, because in all of my husband's infinite wisdom at about 22 years old, he didn't want to pull the headliner and pound it out, and we were in the process of doing a rattle-can flat black paint job.... so that was the quick solution. Now, almost 10 years later, and after the bondo actually cracking (go figure, huh?), he's deciding to to do it the proper way :) The headliner is also completely beyond repair now, so there's no reason not to pull it and get this dent properly taken care of.

Glad to see you two getting settled in. Good work to come on all the cars!

Thanks! Yeah, settled in might be an overstatement (we still have boxes of shit in a few rooms), but we're getting there ;) It's good to see your project rounding out as well!
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that it looked like it was rounding out well, we're tearing it apart again :lol:

Pulling the doors to prep for painting

IMG_1587.jpg

Everytime I get into the car, the dog comes running thinking that I'm leaving.... so, his bed now resides in the car so that he doesn't worry

IMG_1589.jpg

And, time to start getting the wiring under control

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

Just a few little things to wrap up in two and a half weeks :)

We kicked the Roadster out to the driveway for a little bit to open up a little more work room, and then got a little more done

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

Oh, and the bondo situation got WAYYY better last night!  :rofl:

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

And that's not even all of it yet.  We're headed out of town tomorrow, but will get back to it by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, yeah, the bondo is WAY thicker than it should be.  I can only imagine the shit someone would have talked had we ever sold this car after Brodster slapped it all on there :rofl:

So, we got back on Friday and ran some errands and picked up a few things for Brodster to get our welder ready to rock.  I guess we are calling it our Christmas present to ourselves since we really don't believe in buying bullshit gifts for each other when we can just buy things that we want for ourselves (yes, I am a total Scrooge when it comes to holidays and the overboard gift-giving shit it has become.. :unsure:).  So, by Saturday afternoon we finally got our asses in gear and started chipping away at the ancient sound-deadening material in the floorboards to try to get the rust situation under control before I start having to Flinstone this shit when I daily it.
For the most part it's pretty good in the grand scheme of rust.  But, the driver's side has a little bit to take care of.  Here you can see some rust holes by the drain plug where the left foot rests, and there's some near the base of the gas pedal as well.
IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

So, a couple hammers and a few chisels later, we got the front floors & tranny tunnel finished by around midnight or 1am. 
IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

Diego, the shop foreman, was sleeping on the job.
IMG_1749.jpg

Sunday morning we hit the back floorboards, and what little was left under the back seat.  Then, it was time for Brodster to remove the entire wiring harness from the car.  We have another cleaner one that we got from DatDoug that he'll be using to integrate with the Z20's efi system. 

Brodster, pulling the harness in the dash area.
IMG_1811.jpg

We got a little bit of wire in the mail this week too  :lol:
IMG_1802.jpg

The floor under the back seat is in need of a little love along with the front driver's pan. 
IMG_1827.jpg

After a little wire-wheel love to see how bad it actually is. 
IMG_1832.jpg